Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we should all go back to wearing Converse all stars, riding in horse and buggy and casio keyboard watches

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
synthetic wrote:
teachersteve wrote:
windschatten wrote:
teachersteve wrote:
windschatten wrote:
teachersteve wrote:
Dean T wrote:
I love it when triathletes with superbikes, bitch about shoe tech.

THIS.

The difference in cost between Vapor/Alphaflies and a traditional racing shoe is about 100-150 dollars. Pretty much anyone who can afford an entry fee for a marathon can afford that step up in cost. These shoes are not some unattainable item that only the richest or sponsored athletes can get. Bikes, on the other hand, over the course of 4-5 hours or so during an IM can cost $10K more from one athlete to the next...and will probably offer a greater advantage in aerodynamics, efficiency, position, etc. Where are the OP's complaints about that?

Not singling you out, but there some things that bug me about that privileged view:
1) You just don’t buy 1 pair of the shoes and show up at a race, never having run in them. It’s an ongoing cost (as they wear out fast), and that makes it prohibitive for certain segments of OUR population or entire nations (Africa).
2) Those who buy those shoes don’t buy those for their daily runs, but mainly
to place high and BEAT someone just by technology in a race. Even if it’s just your buddy on the local MUT.
So all you who are waxing about only wanting to better themselves, are quite dishonest about all their motives.
Sad.

I'm not sure what your comment has to do with my post. I didn't mention anyone's motives. My comment was directed at the animus towards runners with VF/AFs by triathletes riding $12k superbikes.

I also don’t have a super bike, even though I could afford it.

Just general comments based on how technology excludes participation (yes, I have been ridiculed, mansplained and sneered at for my bike at races).
And on how people are dishonest about why they race.

riiiight...but I'm curious what my "privileged view" is. That someone who races marathons can afford a $250 shoe? The average popular US marathons cost about $120. That's not including travel, lodging, etc. A $250 shoe is not going to make or break someone's budget who is running a marathon.

For up a coming runner it will matter. I see them being used in HS meets now. Rich white kid private school beating the low budget school with east africans.

The super shoes only last 200mi.

Side note if people are judging me, I have low end tri bike, not a super bike.

Still cheating. Anything beyond a single speed BMX bike us wind doping.

In context of the times we live in, I have to take these kind of comments for their face value (as exemplified by our 'leaders'):

'I don't play fair because I am not mature enough to accept losing'.
Last edited by: windschatten: Mar 2, 21 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
synthetic wrote:
40 guys under 2:10

http://japanrunningnews.blogspot.com/2021/02/kengo-suzuki-20456-national-record-to.html

yes this is to show the stupidity of the shoe tech.

A 2:10:XX marathon was already pretty irrelevant even before the new shoe tech. Nobody with a PR this slow was going to medal in the Olympics, WCs or a World Major, barring some bizarre circumstances (Boston 2018 when it was a freezing monsoon).

Galen Rupp had a marathon PB of 2:11:12 before the 2016 Olympics where he earned a bronze with a 2:10:02.

The next spring he was 2nd at Boston with a 2:09:58 and won at Chicago that fall in 2:09:20.
Last edited by: marklemcd: Mar 2, 21 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SDJ wrote:
I had a long discussion on twitter last week with Matt Powell of NPD. The women’s Brooks Ghost cracked the top 10 overall sports shoes for the week which is really significant. In our discussion he repeatedly said the Vapor Fly Next % was insignificant. He’s actually quite right. Compared to the entire market that buys running shoes the Next %, Carbon X, Edorphin Speed, Adios Pro, Fuel Cell Elite, Meta Racer, Hyperion Elite 2 etc. are really insignificant. It would be a surprise if the brands are making any money at this. The only reason they may be is the gross margin is quite strong at these retail prices.

On the flip side you are right, there is a great deal more access and more interest from runners on these shoes vs the rubberized swim suits. The road records set in the last few years are probably going to stand until the next super runner emerges. Sure as Cheptegei moves up in distance we may see new records but right now the road records which are few to begin with will stabilize. The track is where all eyes should be. From 400 through 10,000 at every distance raced records are falling and will continue. Think about the impact, High School and under 20 records will fall. NCAA records will fall, National records will fall, world records will fall. That is much closer to the rubberized suits.

There are two ways to look at what happed at Lake Biwa. A new national record and an enormous number of runners under 2:10. Compare that to the marathon project where we had a USA record of runners under 2:10. 6 with 1 Canadian and it’s kind of humbling how challenged North America is in distance running against a country like Japan.

One of the things being conflated (amongst many) in this thread is comparing running and cycling. Cycling is more like formula one where man and machine are mated for performance. Both are improved within a set of rules.

Swimming and running on the otherhand have generally tried to keep things someone focused on the human. Sure there have been things like adding goggles, making pools a bit faster (the Munich 1972 pool and Montreal 1976 pools are not horribly slow though). Tracks, spikes, and running shoes have not materially changed since Mexico City 1986. In both these sports times have been comparable across a span of 50 years. Sure, goood nutrition, recovery processes (both legal) and illegal stuff like EPO and blood bags have changed times, but those are about the human side not the equipment side. Where there have been quantum gains on the human side (EPO and blood bags) that has also been banned. Swimming banned rubber suits.

I see nothing wrong with using rubber suits or spring shoes in practice, but FINA or IAAF competition would be nice if times are comparable at least in the somewhat modern era of racing (I would cut it at 1968 and beyond and I gave Tommie Smith's 200m gold medal time of 19.83 in 1968 which beat Andre De Grasse's 2016 Olympic silver medal time of 20.03 as an example of how equipment made no difference over those 48 years).

Triathlon and UCI road can do whatever they want with equipment advances because times are largely meaningless in triathlon and road cycling. You can't really compare between events and you can''t compare year to year. UCI keeps rules tight to try to be able to compare track cycling times, but there is a ton of fine tuning of equipment inside those, and that arms race is inherent inside cycling. The sport is about the tech + human, not human only.

GTFO with that take. Nike was born because Bowerman was in his garage trying to shave ounces off shoes to make them lighter and grippier so his track athletes would have an advantage over those in other shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This..... made me f@#kn chuckle
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
One of the things being conflated (amongst many) in this thread is comparing running and cycling. Cycling is more like formula one where man and machine are mated for performance. Both are improved within a set of rules.

Swimming and running on the otherhand have generally tried to keep things someone focused on the human. Sure there have been things like adding goggles, making pools a bit faster (the Munich 1972 pool and Montreal 1976 pools are not horribly slow though). Tracks, spikes, and running shoes have not materially changed since Mexico City 1986. In both these sports times have been comparable across a span of 50 years. Sure, goood nutrition, recovery processes (both legal) and illegal stuff like EPO and blood bags have changed times, but those are about the human side not the equipment side. Where there have been quantum gains on the human side (EPO and blood bags) that has also been banned. Swimming banned rubber suits.

I see nothing wrong with using rubber suits or spring shoes in practice, but FINA or IAAF competition would be nice if times are comparable at least in the somewhat modern era of racing (I would cut it at 1968 and beyond and I gave Tommie Smith's 200m gold medal time of 19.83 in 1968 which beat Andre De Grasse's 2016 Olympic silver medal time of 20.03 as an example of how equipment made no difference over those 48 years).

Triathlon and UCI road can do whatever they want with equipment advances because times are largely meaningless in triathlon and road cycling. You can't really compare between events and you can''t compare year to year. UCI keeps rules tight to try to be able to compare track cycling times, but there is a ton of fine tuning of equipment inside those, and that arms race is inherent inside cycling. The sport is about the tech + human, not human only.

Eh, the moment they put on the first track shoe it was something that helped an athlete run faster. Yeah, you still had some barefoot runners in the 60s and 70s, but the majority of the fields were wearing shoes, which helped them go faster.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Eh, the moment they put on the first track shoe it was something that helped an athlete run faster. Yeah, you still had some barefoot runners in the 60s and 70s, but the majority of the fields were wearing shoes, which helped them go faster.

Abebe Bikila ran 2:15 barefoot at the Rome Olympics - a record which still stands today

For comparison [from the Guinness World Records website]

Fastest wearing Wellies [rain boots/galoshes] - 3:21
Fastest wearing flip-flops - 3:37 [although Runner's World had 2:47]
Fastest running backwards - 3:43
Fastest wearing ski boots - 5:30
Fastest on stilts - 6:37

Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That backwards fitness.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Abebe Bikila ran 2:15 barefoot at the Rome Olympics - a record which still stands today

For comparison [from the Guinness World Records website]

Fastest wearing Wellies [rain boots/galoshes] - 3:21
Fastest wearing flip-flops - 3:37 [although Runner's World had 2:47]
Fastest running backwards - 3:43
Fastest wearing ski boots - 5:30
Fastest on stilts - 6:37

On the barefoot note:

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=10197166

yes competing in modern days college XC meets
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weirdly hostile to certain race shoes has officially replaced weirdly hostile to disc brakes as the ST Beatlejuice invocation. Please update your wiki's accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, a lot of people run the Rocky 50K here in Philly in authentic Rocky gear, including grey sweats and black Chucks

When I first started running, I was in art school. I didn't have a proper pair of running shoes, so I ran in what I had ... White Chuck Hi-Tops which I had decorated with paint & Sharpies. Three or so miles a day, on the sidewalk - eventually going as far as seven miles a day - caused the heels to separate. The brown rubber sole and a couple layers of padding came cleanly away from the rubber strip that encircled the bottom of the shoe. The pounding also managed to cause a stress fracture in my left leg ... very near a weak area in my tibia (?) where I had broken my ankle 4 years earlier

Quote Reply
Re: 2:10 marathon is now meaningless... [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
synthetic wrote:

http://japanrunningnews.blogspot.com/2021/02/kengo-suzuki-20456-national-record-to.html

A 2:10:XX marathon was already pretty irrelevant even before the new shoe tech. Nobody with a PR this slow was going to medal in the Olympics, WCs or a World Major, barring some bizarre circumstances (Boston 2018 when it was a freezing monsoon).

Galen Rupp had a marathon PB of 2:11:12 before the 2016 Olympics where he earned a bronze with a 2:10:02.

The next spring he was 2nd at Boston with a 2:09:58 and won at Chicago that fall in 2:09:20.

Fair point, in slow strategic races, when fast guys just decide to not run fast, a 2:10 guy has a chance. In 2013 and 2014 the winning times in Chicago were 2:03 and 2:04, but 2:09, 2:11 and 2:09 in 2015, 2017 and 2017. I guess I am surprised there was an 8 minute difference in the winning time within a 4 year span.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Fair point, in slow strategic races, when fast guys just decide to not run fast, a 2:10 guy has a chance. In 2013 and 2014 the winning times in Chicago were 2:03 and 2:04, but 2:09, 2:11 and 2:09 in 2015, 2017 and 2017. I guess I am surprised there was an 8 minute difference in the winning time within a 4 year span.

Or on days when the Weather said "Nope, you're not going quickly today, sorry. Maybe next year"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
synthetic wrote:

the year rupp won there were no pacers. they brought them back in 2018. Yes, running with others is a big time mental / drafting advantage. Makes me wonder what the fastest unpaced marathon time is
Quote Reply

Prev Next