Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
How much does winning the European cup matters if you have already qualified for the champions league?

Seems like it would be like winning the NIT tournament.

I think players are generally highly competitive and want to win. They pretty much have to be given the cut throat selective process in soccer. So it matters a lot to them and the team.

Financially I'm not sure it makes all that big of a deal. I would think qualifying for the champions league is far more important.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Villareal qualify for both the Europa league (based on points in league. I think 7th) and champions league (winners of Europa league) next year?
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Did Villareal qualify for both the Europa league (based on points in league. I think 7th) and champions league (winners of Europa league) next year?

They would only do one or the other. If the winner of the Europa league still gets Champions league, I'm sure that's what they will do.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasnt Manchester united in both the champions league this year and the european league?

I THINK i remember them playing PSG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Wasnt Manchester united in both the champions league this year and the european league?

I THINK i remember them playing PSG

I don't remember but probably. If you finish 3rd in your group in the group stage, you parachute down to the Europa league. So you can be serially in the two competitions in the same year but not in both at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think having the winners of the second tier european competition qualify for the champions league (which they have since 2014) was one of the best ideas uefa have had. Elevates the competition and even makes some teams think about whether to prioritize league position or the Europa league as the season comes to an end.

Great to see a smaller club such as Villareal beat one of those giants that wanted to form the ESL.

Disappointed to see many of the man u players taking off their medals straight after they were awarded. at least wait until they are off the podium. if they want to convey to their fans that they are not happy about losing the final they can do it without disrespecting the tournament.....or just put more effort in during the game (Paul Pogba).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh thanks! I did not know about the 3rd place finish in champions get demoted. (Seems strange to me! But I can see why it happens).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For the Premiership, the UEFA and Europa qualifying rules are nicely explained here ...

https://www.premierleague.com/...lification-explained
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so who amongst us burned their Barcelona Jerseys today?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch Ted Lasso instead. much more entertaining.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:

I keep hearing all this doom and gloom about their financial situation, Real Madrid too, got to wonder if one or both of these clubs will implode at some point. I'm not sure about Barcelona but I think Real Madrid is somehow propped up by the Spanish govt. so if I were to bet on it, it would be Barcelona that could go bankrupt first.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, turn of events there was a real shock....

ESPN has a really good q/a, though quite speculative, on the various moving parts at play ...

https://www.espn.com/...s-saga-will-play-out
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Yes, turn of events there was a real shock....

ESPN has a really good q/a, though quite speculative, on the various moving parts at play ...

https://www.espn.com/...s-saga-will-play-out

I just don't understand how clubs routinely miss out on dozens if not a 100+ million Euros by letting players' contracts expire. It would seem to me the first order of business would be to never let that happen, particularly when the club's finances are in shambles already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Billabong wrote:

I keep hearing all this doom and gloom about their financial situation, Real Madrid too, got to wonder if one or both of these clubs will implode at some point. I'm not sure about Barcelona but I think Real Madrid is somehow propped up by the Spanish govt. so if I were to bet on it, it would be Barcelona that could go bankrupt first.

Not quite true. Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid have better TV rights than the rest of La Liga.

Barcelona's financials are so bad that there is a possibility that none of the four new signings will be registered. Their salary is 110% of their total income.

https://www.marca.com/...a47413b028b4602.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at Barca over the last couple of seasons, they've been riding (or hiding) behind the success of Messi for awhile. As soon as he called them on their issues it started to unravel....

Poor development pipeline, lack of long term planning/strategy for success, change in presidents / management, questionable financial management, SuperLeague debacle, . . . It's a shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great start to Premier League the gooners go down to Brentwood a team making their first apperance in the Top Flight since 1947.

But I know Spurs will also lose tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
What a great start to Premier League the gooners go down to Brentwood a team making their first apperance in the Top Flight since 1947.

So nice with the fans back. My son said Brentford fans were chanting, "You're just a shit Tottenham" :)

What an opening weekend started with Arsenal getting spanked and ended with Spurs topping City. Doesn't get much better than that.

If only Leeds had done United.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Aug 15, 21 13:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I am excited about is this season with peacock (paying 5$ a month) + ESPN (paying 5$) a month, I am able to watch bundesliga, la liga, and EP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Billabong wrote:

So nice with the fans back. My son said Brentford fans were chanting, "You're just a shit Tottenham" :)

What an opening weekend started with Arsenal getting spanked and ended with Spurs topping City. Doesn't get much better than that.

Watched a bunch this weekend and had the same question during each game. Is COVID over in Europe?

They had packed stadiums, chanting, yelling, cheering, standing on top of each other and I didn't see a single mask in the crowd shots. It actually felt like 2018 not 2021. I can't figure out why it was like that but I loved it. Great atmosphere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I follow Premier league and La Liga, but frankly speaking find serie A games the most entertaining. That is an easy instruction how you can watch if you have a firestick - https://www.firesticktricks.com/...-a-on-firestick.html. Maybe i am just big fan of Italian way of playing. No idea.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Sep 13, 21 2:43
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Billabong wrote:

Watched a bunch this weekend and had the same question during each game. Is COVID over in Europe?

They had packed stadiums, chanting, yelling, cheering, standing on top of each other and I didn't see a single mask in the crowd shots. It actually felt like 2018 not 2021. I can't figure out why it was like that but I loved it. Great atmosphere.

Spain seems to have limited crowds with social distancing, at least the ones I saw.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [MitchMcCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MitchMcCrown wrote:
I follow Premier league and La Liga, but frankly speaking find serie A games the most entertaining. Maybe i am just big fan of Italian way of playing. No idea.

When I started watching, Italian soccer was boring, very defensive and slow paced, seems like in recent years it's become more entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
MitchMcCrown wrote:
I follow Premier league and La Liga, but frankly speaking find serie A games the most entertaining. Maybe i am just big fan of Italian way of playing. No idea.

When I started watching, Italian soccer was boring, very defensive and slow paced, seems like in recent years it's become more entertaining.

These days, the notion of a style in more influenced by the coach and his system, rather than a characteristic of the league.

England used to do the long-ball play, Italians used to do the sit in a defensive shell and then counter-attack, Germans used to be very methodical and organized playing through the midfield (still are, based on stuff I've seen last season).

But with most teams and coaches being from different countries, those generalizations don't really apply anymore. Pep's changed Man City's style to something "new", Juve's making use of Ronaldo's skill. And over in France, PSG has a nice problem to have with Messi, Mbappe, and Neymar and the rest of that crew being less French than a mix of world all-stars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
And over in France, PSG has a nice problem to have with Messi, Mbappe, and Neymar and the rest of that crew being less French than a mix of world all-stars.

PSG have more "nice" problems than just Messi. Forget Messi, PSG have had themselves a transfer season of SOME kind with just Wijnaldum, Hakimi, and Donnarumma alone. They've got also gone and got Ramos, who I don't think is as impactful as the others, but certainly still a player with experience. Will light a fire under Kimpembe. Navas isn't happy, but you can't keep (almost non- !!) arguably the best GK in the world on the sidelines. Top it off with Messi, and you've got one helluva season of expectations!!! Unbelievable.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. And there are rumors that Pogba may join PSG. If so, and if he plays like he did at the Euro's they'll have a significant all-star presence in the midfield.
Quote Reply

Prev Next