Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pregnancy Statistics [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
My sperm are like my triathlon career. Slow and short lived.

Well put! If there was a Clydesdale Division tho?

We ended up going the IUD route. Not something that made us happy but it was either that or the big V. We talked about it and prayed about it and went the IUD route for a variety of personal reasons. It worked for us. I was ready to sign up for the V and had the bag of frozen peas all ready to go.

Best of luck working this out in our unique situation.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy Statistics [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
I know from my experience that out of the average 28 day cycle a woman can only become pregnant in a 5 day window. And the likelihood of conceiving even in this window can be highly variable depending on which of the 5 days as well as many other factors. So when a particular method of birth control claims 99% effective, I was trying to put that into a context with my knowledge that I know that zero birth control is 100% effective in 23 of a 28 day cycle. So 99% may seem like a very effective rate of protection but across a month where no protection offers 82% effective rate..... I am not a statistics expert but I think you get the point. And that question was answered for me pretty clearly.

I think 5 days is pretty optimistic, especially when you're doing "future math" about how long until the next egg drops. And as you note, any irregularity in a cycle throws the math off badly. It's entirely possible for the ovulation window to open DURING a period.

Quote:
And that is how we kind of just naturally started avoiding sex for 5 days each month or just leaving a package on the "doorstep" so to say.

Remember that the, um, "pre-delivery," um, "recon parties" are even more potent than the "package" that you're leaving on the "doorstep" instead of taking into the "house." To be explicit, pre-come is the cause of many an unplanned pregnancy.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy Statistics [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The withdrawal method is the birth control used by idiots. That was printed in my undergrad welcome book at McGill.

The OP should be especially careful considering that as women age, the cycle becomes erratic and it's more likely to ovulate two eggs instead of one. That's why you're more likely to have twins when you're older than in your 20s.
Quote Reply

Prev Next