Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Body comp scale: where’s it toss glycogen?
Quote | Reply
I tried Google first and got a lot of useless, cryptic, junk results.

If I own a Withings that gives me fat, muscle, water, bone......how does glycogen count? Is it with the muscle and water %’s given how it is stored?

Just curious as I do a daily weigh but sometimes out of sheer curiosity do so after a workout.

Sometimes the workout results give interesting numbers. I don’t plan to infer or do anything with this. Just curious.

As in if you burn a bunch of glycogen and release water....would that lower your water %?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Body comp scale: where’s it toss glycogen? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I tried Google first and got a lot of useless, cryptic, junk results.

If I own a Withings that gives me fat, muscle, water, bone......how does glycogen count? Is it with the muscle and water %’s given how it is stored?

Just curious as I do a daily weigh but sometimes out of sheer curiosity do so after a workout.

Sometimes the workout results give interesting numbers. I don’t plan to infer or do anything with this. Just curious.

As in if you burn a bunch of glycogen and release water....would that lower your water %?

Thanks.

Yes,
The effect of glycogen depletion would show in the Body water measurements / muscle mass measurements.
However, it is a relatively small % of total body water, so the change will be relatively small from glycogen loaded to depleted.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Body comp scale: where’s it toss glycogen? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted this also on Bikeforums. A guy responded seeing the same thing I do. That when he burns some glycogen, the tied up water weight doesn't immediately come off in sweat during the exercise. But that he would pee it out later.

Same for me.

I did a pretty much all glycogen hard ride Tuesday evening. Post workout weight showed a higher than avg water %. Next morning, had peed that out and back to normal balance of %'s.

The question here was kind of to see how much water I needed to drink to rehydrate, as sometimes I'm not super good at that and know it can make recovery better.

I was going to use the scale post-workout to see how much to drink. But, the temporary higher water % weight really threw me off!

Now I know how to look at it, I think I'll just go to sipping water till my pee is good since it looks I can't rely on the scale. At the same time, this may be useful in summer with heavy sweating as I'm sure my overall weight will be down even if the % is "off" temporarily.
Quote Reply