Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Could someone shed some light on the Zwift Racing League E-pen (aka team car / DS pen)
Quote | Reply
Zwift Racing League offers the E-pen option, namely for "Team Cars / DS/ Camera Cars", but one's not actually allowed to pair to another device, as presumably, one could otherwise leave the pen and subject one's team to some sort of DQ.

If that is the case, it seems no better than signing up for the same race (as in, the same pen) as one's teammates and not pairing to any devices. What am I missing here?

Also, how does Zwift know whether to allow the DS to view the A-pen race as opposed to the B-pen race, when one is signed up as DS in the E-pen?
Quote Reply
Re: Could someone shed some light on the Zwift Racing League E-pen (aka team car / DS pen) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer is...it doesn’t.

Using the E pen is by WTRL request, presumably so as not to overcrowd the actual racing pen. But as long as you don’t leave the Pen, it actually doesn’t matter which pen you are in, as you won’t be in results (since you never started).

That being said, we all use the E pen, since that’s what WTRL wants. But it comes with the caveat that in order to properly DS from E pen, you have to use the “Fan View” option in the companion app. Make sure you are Zwift friends(following) at least 1 of the racers on your team. Also don’t try to fan view until after the race starts and they leave the pen. It won’t work otherwise. Zwift really knows how to do a User interface 😬
Quote Reply
Re: Could someone shed some light on the Zwift Racing League E-pen (aka team car / DS pen) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying.

Out of curiosity, is there any possibility of me getting locked out from any type of spectating? I just don’t want the flag to drop and not being able to follow anyone (whereas if i were in the same pen, i could see the list of riders and click on anyone)
Quote Reply
Re: Could someone shed some light on the Zwift Racing League E-pen (aka team car / DS pen) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There shouldn't be. Like I said, you'll have to use the fan view functionality in the companion app. I'd familiarize myself with that before the race (if you aren't already). And the biggest issue we've had is people trying to fan view before the race starts, the rider you are viewing has to leave the pen before you can view him.

I really wish Zwift would come up with a better way to watch races. The broadcast ones are...whatever. But what I'd really like is, when I notice one of my friends is in a race, being able to easily watch him race. It would make DS'ing easier too. But until then, fan view from the Pen is what we have.
Quote Reply
Re: Could someone shed some light on the Zwift Racing League E-pen (aka team car / DS pen) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must be inept, as I still couldn't see anyone after the race started.

I was in the E-pen, which has a countdown timer two minutes behind when my teammates start their race. Their names never showed up anywhere on the companion app.

In retrospect, I should have just fake joined. Ugh...

ETA: apparently the "Fan View" option is not located on the Zwifter list (as I thought), but rather at another location. Makes sense, I guess
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 23, 21 17:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

I was in the E-pen, which has a countdown timer two minutes behind when my teammates start their race. Their names never showed up anywhere on the companion app.

ETA: apparently the "Fan View" option is not located on the Zwifter list (as I thought), but rather at another location. Makes sense, I guess

Nothing about the Zwift UI makes sense.

Sorry you weren't able to watch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As there's another season coming up, and as I think quite a few people here may be doing ZRL, I thought i'd share a bit on how to get this to work.

The function of the E-pen is to get the DS to the same course as where his/her teammates are. I think one doesn't even need to be in the E-pen (as long as one is on that particular course, but E-pen is the safe way to do this).

Once on that course, and once the event has started, one has to use the "Find Zwifter" option on the companion app. One cannot use the map feature (b/c it won't show anyone not in the particular pen) or "Zwifter" feature, because neither of these will actually bring up one's teammates. Instead, use the "Find Zwifter" function (which is in the "..." menu), type in name of one's teammate, click on his/her profile, and among the many options available (including giving Ride-ons) is the "Fan View" option. Tap that button, and it should show the actual race.

MRid wrote:
echappist wrote:

Nothing about the Zwift UI makes sense.

Sorry you weren't able to watch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty much it. I'll add, the have to be out of the pens (ie race started) before you can fan view them. Also, it helps to be zwift friends with at least one of your race mates, as that makes it easier to find them in fan view
Quote Reply