Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri bike advice with rim brakes
Quote | Reply
Hi,

It's time to get a proper Tri/TT bike for the season ahead. Till now I've been riding a road bike with aerobars installed and would like to upgrade as I'm going to take part in my first full distance IM event this September. My budget is around 5000 EUR for now. I am 6'4 tall with standard inseam.

Although there are plenty of bikes to choose from, they are in vast majority dedicated for disc brakes and I am not an enthusiast of that solution on road bikes, besides I've got a nice Xentis Mark 3 wheelset and would not like to get rid of it because of a brake technology applied to the new bike frame. Currently my best choice is Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 LTD, but since it is previous year model, I'm afraid that the stock will be clear of them before I will be capable to make actual purchase - currently L size is said to be low on stock.

So I need secondary options if that is going to happen. I was looking at Cube Aerium c:68 SL or Argon E119 Tri+, any other similar suggestions?

Kal800
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike advice with rim brakes [kal800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed Concept? Always a crowd pleaser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the market driving consumers to disc brakes even if they are not really needed, your best bet is to find a used rim brake bike. That way you're not taking the initial depreciation hit on technology that the bike industry has decided is not going to be relevant in 10 years.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is to find a used rim brake bike with electronic shifting (Shimano Di2). Di2 is an expensive upgrade but does not add much value on the used market, for whatever reason. So buying used will get you a lot of value.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike advice with rim brakes [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
With the market driving consumers to disc brakes even if they are not really needed, your best bet is to find a used rim brake bike. That way you're not taking the initial depreciation hit on technology that the bike industry has decided is not going to be relevant in 10 years.

I would fully support this. A used TT bike is unlikely to have seen much use compared with a used road bike. Loads of used rim brake TT bikes coming onto the market, older models, because new models have DB. For well under your budget of 5000 Euro, you should be able to get a top spec Cervelo P5, A Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 9.0 or other top end TT bike
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike advice with rim brakes [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this is of course a reasonable option, however it's not so easy to find a bike with L/XL sized frame, especially on our market.

I searched through auction services and found absolutely no choices for me on a second hand market.

Di2 - is a must, I have now 2*10 D-A Di2 groupset and can't imagine coming back to mechanics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Premier Tactical. Just hope to get back to racing soon so I can show it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check theproscloset.com They buy/inspect/service and sell used bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also 6'4" and will second that there aren't that many used bikes in the L/XL range. FWIW, I have an Argon 117 tri that I bought a couple of years ago. Size XL. Love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike advice with rim brakes [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
With the market driving consumers to disc brakes even if they are not really needed,

The market means the consumer. "Big Bike" drove consumers to disc brakes on TT bikes pure and simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike advice with rim brakes [Dan94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan94 wrote:
I'm also 6'4" and will second that there aren't that many used bikes in the L/XL range. FWIW, I have an Argon 117 tri that I bought a couple of years ago. Size XL. Love it.

Spin side of this is that you can also get some good deals as there's not always a lot of buyers either. You basically need to wait for 3 to come up at the same time, let the other buyers inflate the prices on the other two and get the one with the last closing date.

However, just one thing to check. With a Tri bike then at 6'4" you may not be XL. I am same height, but due to being long legs and spineless (well not quite but spine height of a 'normal' person) then I actually don't need an XL - indeed my fit co-ordinates put me on medium on a Cervelo. High saddle height, then a big drop, but the pads don't need to be that far forward, which leads to a medium/large.

FWIW I am also on an Argon, but an E-114 in Large with the pads in mid position and a fair bit cut from the extensions. Note that the argons tend to be tall/short compared to other brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek Speed Concept
Quote Reply