Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift rookie...going really slow
Quote | Reply
So I finally gave in and started zwifting.

I am digging the running as it helps be much more deliberate on my runs but not having as much fun on the cycling. And the fun I am not having is really a result of my speed, or lack thereof. As you can imagine cruising around at 3-4mph is terribly demoralizing when sweating profusely. I am certainly not in tour shape but my cadence is hovering mid-90s. The strange thing is I'll be hovering in the low teens and then drop to 3-5mph and never really be able to get back to a moderately respectable speed.

Is it my internet connection?
Is it my dumb trainer and speed/cadence sensors not functioning?
Is it my reality and I really am that slow?

Any help would be awesome. I really want to enjoy it...before buying a smarter trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift rookie...going really slow [amazingtoddo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amazingtoddo wrote:
So I finally gave in and started zwifting.

I am digging the running as it helps be much more deliberate on my runs but not having as much fun on the cycling. And the fun I am not having is really a result of my speed, or lack thereof. As you can imagine cruising around at 3-4mph is terribly demoralizing when sweating profusely. I am certainly not in tour shape but my cadence is hovering mid-90s. The strange thing is I'll be hovering in the low teens and then drop to 3-5mph and never really be able to get back to a moderately respectable speed.

Is it my internet connection?
Is it my dumb trainer and speed/cadence sensors not functioning?
Is it my reality and I really am that slow?

Any help would be awesome. I really want to enjoy it...before buying a smarter trainer.

You don't have to link anything up, but if you had even a screenshot of some ride data it might help. You might very well have a sensor dropping out or not reading consistently.

If you had a little plot from a ride where it happened that shows the speed and the terrain and such, we may see that.

I would rule out internet connection. If that fails mid-ride, the other riders disappear or an event you are in will fail altogether. If riding outside of an event and internet fails, you just lose seeing all other riders. Some do this on purpose, allow Zwift to acquire their login on the internet THEN disconnect the internet so they ride totally alone.

Don't get frustrated yet at least, you'll figure it out! I don't think you'd be 3-4mph slow unless you're going up a pretty solid climb. When reality is most folks going up the big climbs are in the single digits for speed, so don't let that discourage you.

Without a smart trainer, be sure to look at the % grade in the upper right of your screen so you have a reference as to what your speed is.

As on a "dumb trainer" Zwift takes the speed from your sensor to interpret a "power curve" for your trainer. Then applies it to the situation in Zwift. It doesn't take your speed you report from the speed sensor at face value because of terrain in the game (imagine only doing 150w at 20mph on your trainer but going 20mph up the Alpe).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use the tool here https://zwiftalizer.com/ to check you connection and sensors, Does your dumb trainer have different resistance settings? If so adjust it to give less resistance. Or pick a different trainer from the menu until you find one that feels more realistic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. What trainer are you using?
2. What speed sensor?
3. What are you using to run Zwift?
4. Are you trying Blutooth or Ant+
5. If Ant+ what dongle are you using?

This will give a starting point to investigate.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would test on Watopia Tempus Fugit since it's flat. How fast do you ride outside? I don't think you go 3-4 mph outside so it sounds like a software/sensor issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift rookie...going really slow [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
1. What trainer are you using?
2. What speed sensor?
3. What are you using to run Zwift?
4. Are you trying Blutooth or Ant+
5. If Ant+ what dongle are you using?

This will give a starting point to investigate.

Thanks.

To build on this:

-What speed does your speed sensor say (from watch, head unit, etc.) when going 3-4mph on Zwift?

-What power reading does Zwift show you putting out at 3-4mph? (if you have a PM on your bike, what does that read)

-Does the cadence you see on your head unit and on Zwift agree?

-IRL how fast do you typically go on level ground according to your speed sensor/head unit?

-What is your height and weight entered into Zwift? (make sure units are correct: i.e. lbs vs. kgs)

FWIW, I ran Zwift with a dumb trainer for a couple months and the power was within 10% of my actual output during steady pedaling (it didn't factor for the power needed to accelerate during things like sprints.....so was useless for racing).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift rookie...going really slow [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an old cycle ops trainer...circa like 2007?
Wahoo Speed sensor/cadence sensor
iPad, was previously using iPhone and running Zwift from iPad.
Bluetooth
N/A, would I need ant+?

FWIW I gave it another ride tonight after connecting directly to iPad, rather than iPhone, and a much improved performance as the speed was more realistic.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift rookie...going really slow [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took your suggestion and saw a much different output. I also messed with my sensor connections which could have helped. While not exactly my peak speed, I was hanging more in the teens which gives me a reason to keep pushing and working harder. Thanks and maybe I’ll see y’all out there.
Last edited by: amazingtoddo: Feb 22, 21 18:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear. Enjoy and go kick some ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear things are better.
Quote Reply