Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said she "appears" to have influenced him. Appears, as in, the optics. Those are the optics that she created. She knows how to play the game of politics very well. Her "accomplishment" is to have created the "appearance" of having influenced Manchin's vote. You can disagree with that, but I'm not sure how you can, because if that's how it's being portrayed in the media, then some people are seeing it as so.
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I said she "appears" to have influenced him. Appears, as in, the optics. Those are the optics that she created. She knows how to play the game of politics very well. Her "accomplishment" is to have created the "appearance" of having influenced Manchin's vote. You can disagree with that, but I'm not sure how you can, because if that's how it's being portrayed in the media, then some people are seeing it as so.

well that's tenuous. her "accomplishment" is that she has wedged her way into the manchin narrative for PR reasons that only benefit her. if that's the standard, then marjorie taylor greene has accomplishments.

that said, this whole thing of "accomplishments" is silly. slowguy doesn't have to invent a new battleship to "accomplish" things. teachers don't have to publish books to accomplish things. they accomplish things just by teaching - by doing the everyday work. she represents her constituents, both in constituent services and in her votes and committee work. beyond that, she does influence the national narrative; she is a star in her district; she may well play an outsized role as she matures in benefits accruing to her district; and she's a hell of a fundraiser, not just for texas, but for other candidates. she doesn't have to pass legislation to accomplish stuff.

and, yes, she gets shat on a lot, because she's a frightening apparition to the ted yohos of the world, because she's a powerful woman, and a symbol to women, and to the latin community, and to whatever gen she's a part of (i lose track of which gen is which), pointing the way to power for those who felt they had no power.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.

And were still waiting for Windy's "more nuanced" position on her accomplishments... drum roll...

windywave wrote:
I am refraining from commenting at the moment

windywave wrote:
My position is more nuanced than that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:
Yes. Aside from her other accomplishments, Rep Ocasio-Cortez is an accomplished bullshitter.

Totally right, $4.7 million worth of bullsh*t accomplished ...

And yet people still look for ways to shit on her.

I'm not "looking for ways" to shit on Rep Ocasio-Cortez.

She should be applauded for her part in raising money for relief efforts, although we probably don't need to get carried away. She's not donating 4.7million. She set up a fundraising page on a fundraising site, and is lending her influence to that effort, which is great.

With regard to this latest back and forth, no one went looking for a way to shit on her. Kay posted a dubious assertion that AOC influenced Sen Manchin's position on Rep Haaland. And Kay did so by posting an AOC Tweet that likewise makes some questionable implications about Sen Manchin's views on Rep Haaland's ethnicity. And Kay did so while admitting there's no evidence of either assertion. It's entirely reasonable to discuss the extent to which Kay's assertion and Rep Ocasio-Cortez-Cortez's assertions are bullshit.

In my opinion, if there's no evidence that Sen Manchin objected to Rep Haaland's nomination based on her ethnicity, then it's bullshit for AOC to imply that he did.

And if there's no actual evidence that AOC's Tweet influenced Sen Manchin in any way whatsoever, it's bullshit of Kay to assert that it did.

But apparently we're living in the post Trump world, where the same people who complained about his honesty for four years (for good reason) feel justified displaying little honesty of their own.

I get your point, but you’re WAY overreaching to equate inferring something that wasn’t explicit (i.e., quite possibly erroneous, but at least somewhat plausible based on actual facts) with wholesale fabrications. Both the volume and frequency are orders of magnitude different.

Or, you could keep on w/ the “driving 70 in a 65 and killing cops are both illegal” stance, which of course is true in a binary sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not "looking for ways" to shit on Rep Ocasio-Cortez.

I'm not talking about you, specifically, or any points you are making.

I'm talking about how it's amazing that a thread begins with "raised lots of money for Texans," and yet still has managed to turn into a complain-fest, for whatever reasons. (Okay, the reasons are windywave couldn't resist ranting, but whatever).

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
that said, this whole thing of "accomplishments" is silly.

Of course it is.

It's a common hater tactic. Look at the comments section of any Tom Brady article and you'll see the same arguments. "He's not that good." "How is he not that good?" "Because he's worse than the arbitrary standard that I'm applying in the moment for being 'that good'"

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how to do fundraising properly:

https://nymag.com/...ishy-fundraiser.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of not raising funds.
https://www.deseret.com/...tt-walsh-puerto-rico

Quote:
It’s another show of the performance art that dominates our political theater. In this medium, clout isn’t gained by what gets done but by what doesn’t get done while finding excuses to blame the other side. It’s a good way to get campaign cash and a terrible way to govern a country.
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This story does not seem to be getting much attention in the LR.

I can not imagine the depravity of a person that visits their grandmother, sees she is living in squalor, and then just takes pictures for publicity and goes back to their comfortable home. Refusing to let someone else (even an adversary) help her grandmother is just pushing it into intentional neglect.

This is a person who so many here admire?
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [timmar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timmar wrote:
This story does not seem to be getting much attention in the LR.

I can not imagine the depravity of a person that visits their grandmother, sees she is living in squalor, and then just takes pictures for publicity and goes back to their comfortable home. Refusing to let someone else (even an adversary) help her grandmother is just pushing it into intentional neglect.

This is a person who so many here admire?

Because her grandmother is completely fine; she's not living at that location. From this article with more context: link

Quote:
"And for the record - my abuela is doing okay. It’s not about us, but about what’s happening to Puerto Rican’s across the island," she wrote. "She had a place to go to and be cared for - what about the thousands of people who don’t?"
It would have been insane for her to accept that money. She wasn't trying to literally get money for her abuela, she was trying to point out how so many other people on the island are living in broken down homes without the ability to leave.

Quote:
Mr Walsh's trolling - even if it does help the congresswoman's grandmother - blankets over the point Ms Ocasio-Cortez made concerning the broader and more systemic issues keeping many residents of the island in similar or worse conditions.
Unlike her grandmother, many of the affected in Puerto Rico do not have places where they can shelter while waiting for home repairs.
The blogger did not discuss or address that issue in any of his posts, choosing instead to focus on Ms Ocasio-Cortez.
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [southpaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention, it is bad idea for people to give large amounts of money to relatives of congress people. Doesn't take a genius to see how that is a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [southpaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected. When AOC published pictures of her grandmother's living conditions, I took it as the truth.
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [timmar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timmar wrote:
I stand corrected. When AOC published pictures of her grandmother's living conditions, I took it as the truth.

Yeah. Uh. The tweet said “This is her home.” It did not say she was currently living there in deplorable conditions. It specifically said people in PR were forced to flee their ancestral homes. It could’ve been clearer, but face it, you read it negatively because you wanted to.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
Slowman wrote:
[ you aren't a fat blob of smarm. there's a brain there, and there's a heart inside you. it's in there. i know it is ;-) and you're certainly fitter than flyin' ted.

Interesting how people can arrive at markedly different conclusions from the same facts.

Although other words also come to mind, I think "fat blob of smarm" is a piercingly accurate description of Wendywave.

Have some yard time I see.

So care to tell me why you think she's accomplished?

Wait, I found it!

https://mashable.com/...cortez-moments-2019/

She danced to the Breakfast club and played with a penguin!
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Wait, I found it!

On the other hand it is refreshing that it's like the Obama era where major scandals were latte salutes, etc. Harris today handing out cookies to reporters caused a lot of outrage, and playing with penguins is huge.

Vs. declaring love to murderous dictators, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,000,000. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jharris wrote:

Wait, I found it!

On the other hand it is refreshing that it's like the Obama era where major scandals were latte salutes, etc. Harris today handing out cookies to reporters caused a lot of outrage, and playing with penguins is huge.

Getting technical, Penguins were part of 2019 instances, which was during the Trump reign.

I’m sure you didn’t want to hear that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
trail wrote:
jharris wrote:

Wait, I found it!

Getting technical, Penguins were part of 2019 instances, which was during the Trump reign.

So? What's your point? Pretty sure trial is aware of that considering "2019" is in the headline of his link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
jharris wrote:
trail wrote:
jharris wrote:

Wait, I found it!

So? What's your point? Pretty sure trial is aware of that considering "2019" is in the headline of his link.

Should be easy to see the point.... he said Obama era, when this example wasn’t Obama era.

Not much of an arguable point, just an observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Ted Cruz = 0. AOC = $4,700,000. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted Cruz and AOC are two different versions of crazy. Maybe quite similar. Populists and grandstanders. The pleasant surprise lately has been Manchin and Sinnema.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
jharris wrote:
trail wrote:
jharris wrote:

Wait, I found it!

Should be easy to see the point.... he said Obama era, when this example wasn’t Obama era.

Not much of an arguable point, just an observation.

After mentioning the “Obama era” and the latte salute scandal “etc”, he moved to “Harris today...” in the next sentence and gave two recent examples.

So if you were just trying to nitpick, it didn’t work very well.
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Jun 8, 21 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's how Trump helped PR.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...a1549d2fda39cec57030

"....And by the way, I’m the best thing that’s ever happened to Puerto Rico!" DJT
Quote Reply

Prev Next