Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Noise - Trainer Saris H3
Quote | Reply
I am curious if anybody else has has any excessive noise with their Saris H3. When the chain is in the large gear the noise level is acceptable, but as the chain progresses down to the small gear the noise gets worse and worse. I have tried adjusting the barrel adjuster for the rear derailleur but it hasn't helped. Really just trying to figure out if I need to order a new derailleur or contact Saris. Below is a link to the video as long as I can get it uploaded correctly.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Noise - Trainer Saris H3 [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need a new derailleur, nor a new chain, nor a new cassette. So thats out of the way.

First thing I notice - it sounds like you are shifting and then it takes forever for the chain to actually make the shift and causes all sorts of noise.
Given that was happening as you were trying to shift to a harder gear, I would start by giving the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur 1 - 1.5 full turns -in- (as in, tighten).

Also make sure the cassette is tightened on the trainer properly, and the rear derailleur bolt that holds it to the frame hasn't loosened.

Also make sure you have the chain properly routed around the derailleur pulleys, and not accidentally on the outside of the cage (rubbing on the cage tab in the middle).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same issue. There is a wave washer inside the trainer between the trainer and the hub. Mine was not seated properly this causing this issue. Take the hub off and check as 90% sure this is your issue
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Noise - Trainer Saris H3 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks SBRCanuck I adjusted the barrel adjuster 1.5 turns, it was a little too much, wouldn't shift up in some gears. Loosed barrel adjuster 1/4 turn and it does shift better, still noisy though as you shift further down the cogs.

@hueby416 I will take a look at that in the morning, do I need to remove the hub? The hub is what the cassette slides over correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Noise - Trainer Saris H3 [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry realized I should reply to hueby separately

hueby416 I will take a look at that in the morning, do I need to remove the hub? The hub is what the cassette slides over correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ann Arbor Jeff wrote:
Sorry realized I should reply to hueby separately

hueby416 I will take a look at that in the morning, do I need to remove the hub? The hub is what the cassette slides over correct?

https://www.manualslib.com/...mp;selected=2#manual

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Noise - Trainer Saris H3 [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct you need to remove the hub which is a 5mm Allen key.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats some good information. The funny thing is I never had to install the hub. When I bought the trainer it came with the hub installed. I also noticed I did not get the thru axle adapters. I was going to try out my wife's gravel bike but it has a thru axle and I thought I misplaced the adapters. Now I am starting to wonder why I got such a good deal. I ordered it from Clever Training in Nov 2019 for a good price, hopefully its not a "too good to be true deal". I paid 675 so a good price all things considered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had noise issues on my H2. Found the cause to be my inattention to mounting the bike properly on the trainer. I’ve not had the frame perfectly snugged up in the trainer’s axle, skewing it ever so slightly to one side. Caused a whole lot of drivetrain noise and bad shifting. So now, when I put the bike on it, I rotate the frame upwards letting gravity push it onto the axle all the way to assure its snug to the axle and then tighten the QR.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to start with, adjust your barrel adjuster properly. shift to a gear in the middle of the range (say the 4th cog), then go behind the bike and adjust the barrel until the chain is running perfectly straight up and down through the RD. then double check the shifting.

if it still isn't shifting properly or is making excessive noise, check your chain for wear (I use a park chain checker tool, your LBS will have them).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Noise - Trainer Saris H3 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update I spent a good amount of time yesterday working on this, doing the following

1. Removed bike and cassette and hub and top hat washer. Looked for a wave washer could not find one. I did find a regular washer that is behind the top hat washer. That washer appeared to be seated correctly. Reassembled everything, still had a lot of noise when shifting to lowest cog.

2. Removed bike and put on regular wheel, noticed I had some chain rub at front derailleur and adjusted front derailleur and took bike for a ride outside to test shifting. Everything shifted well, not the quietest drive train, but I was not loud like when on the trainer.

3. I did notice that the top pulley on the derailleur has 1-2mm of side to side movement, not sure if this is normal?

4. I submitted the video to Saris support and I am waiting to hear back from them.

5. My next step will be to put a mountain bike on the trainer and test it with that bike to see if I get the same noise.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ann Arbor Jeff wrote:
Update I spent a good amount of time yesterday working on this, doing the following

1. Removed bike and cassette and hub and top hat washer. Looked for a wave washer could not find one. I did find a regular washer that is behind the top hat washer. That washer appeared to be seated correctly. Reassembled everything, still had a lot of noise when shifting to lowest cog.

2. Removed bike and put on regular wheel, noticed I had some chain rub at front derailleur and adjusted front derailleur and took bike for a ride outside to test shifting. Everything shifted well, not the quietest drive train, but I was not loud like when on the trainer.

3. I did notice that the top pulley on the derailleur has 1-2mm of side to side movement, not sure if this is normal?

4. I submitted the video to Saris support and I am waiting to hear back from them.

5. My next step will be to put a mountain bike on the trainer and test it with that bike to see if I get the same noise.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

the gears on the trainer are more than likely not in the same spot (laterally) as your wheel. eg, the small cog on your trainer could be 1 or 2 mm further in or out, so getting the gears adjusted for your wheel doesn't mean anything for adjusting them on the trainer.

the top pulley is supposed to have a little bit of lateral float. that's designed in.

unless you are using the same cassette on both, then if your chain is worn then it might sound fine on your wheel (both the chain and the cassette are worn, so they still mesh together), but the newer cassette causes a lot of noise because the teeth aren't meshing with the worn chain. Swap cassettes and see what happens.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks looking at that I could buy a tool for $28 or just put it towards a new 10sp chain. The chain probably has about 7,000 miles on it, probably should be replaced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it is a new cassette on the trainer, old one on the bike. I'll swap the cassettes this afternoon and line up on the 4th cog using barrel adjuster and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ann Arbor Jeff wrote:

The pulleys are designed to float a bit.

However make sure the bolt that holds your derailleur cage on is tight. If loose it will cause all sorts of shifting issues.

I don't think your problem here is the Saris H3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned buying a 10spd chain. I'm guessing the H3 has a standard free hub body for an 11spd cassette, and requires the extra spacer for a 10spd cassette. Do you have that spacer on there too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ann Arbor Jeff wrote:
Thanks looking at that I could buy a tool for $28 or just put it towards a new 10sp chain. The chain probably has about 7,000 miles on it, probably should be replaced.

You can also check the chain with a ruler: https://www.parktool.com/...a-chain-on-a-bicycle

METHOD 2: MEASURE WITH RULER
Another ballpark method for checking chain wear is by measuring it with a ruler. Pick a rivet and line it up at the zero mark. Count 24 more rivets and your last rivet should be at the 12″ mark of your ruler. If it is off by more than 1/16″ your chain is stretched to the point of replacement.
Note: I always heard 1/8" was the point of replacement, Park seems to use a stricter standard.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Noise - Trainer Saris H3 [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Rob,

Yes I have the spacer on the hub then the cassette.

I did put the old cassette on the trainer yesterday and re-shot the video, The drivetrain noise is a little better, but the trainer noise which happens about 2/3rds of the way down the cassette is still there.

Video link...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is Wow! Put on a new chain and it took care of all the noise. I never thought a worn chain would contribute that much to noise. Thanks every one! issue solved.
Quote Reply