Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be pedantic but the “widow maker” is the left main.

Occluding your LAD isn’t a good thing either.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although critical left main disease is clearly worse, the commonly known ‘widow maker’ is indeed a proximal LAD lesion...
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The guy who died at the Philly marathon was my friend Chris Gleason. He had just gone 10:11 at IMLP at few months before Philly and was on sub 3 hrs pace at the marathon 25.5 mile mark. It was 10 years ago in 2011. Chris' 50th birthday was last week and he was 40 at the time..Chris went with the handle ChrisG on ST. Triyoda broke the news on here and it was not about an out of shape person doing a marathon on a lark and dying due to lack of prep.

Anyway to the OP glad you are around. It is awesome to get another few laps around the sun. Not that you were taking what you had for granted but I think staring at death this way gives us a better appreciation for what we want to do the the limited time left here.

One thing I will add about Chris (RIP) is we have to remember to take it easy sometimes, no matter how fit we are.

We've already heard from a very knowledgeable doctor on this thread, and maybe what happened to the original poster was inevitable based on genetics (being in good physical condition obviously didn't stop it). Likewise, for Chris, they never had an explanation, from the coroner, the official cause of death was basically "unexplained" spontaneous cardiac failure. My theory (and I am not a doctor) is it was (some level of residual training fatigue)*(very hard effort, running on PR pace)*(high levels of caffeine)*(allergy meds) creating the perfect storm.

The original poster said they typically trained 10-14 hrs per week. Objectively that is a lot, and definitely more exercise than is recommended for optimum health (6-7 hrs per week). Now we all do some things that are not perfectly healthy, so I am not suggesting no one should ever do some higher volume (like I would also never say one should never drink, never eat sugars, etc.), we have to enjoy life and that involves some vices and taking some risks. I typically average around 6-8 hrs per week, but sometimes I do more. But I will also add I developed a heart arrythmia after training 12-15 hours per week to my first (and only) IM in 2006 and after the arrythmia decided not to train consistently near those volumes again. You can still do pretty good on more moderate volume, although admittedly not for IM and even HIM you will not be able to get to your best performances, but still good enough to have fun.

But to Chris in particular, after a great performance in IMLP he was obsessed with running a fast marathon in November. For months, I suggested it was not a great idea, you crushed IMLP take some rest for the rest of the year, or if you must do the marathon don't try for a PR, just cruise it. I honestly think he believed I was concerned he was going to get bragging rights on me by beating my marathon PR and that's why I suggested a number of times that he not run the marathon (he was very fit). But it was all due to my belief in periodization and moderation and taking lots of recovery between big efforts, because you never know. Also tempered by my IMLP experience, I still believe the onset of that arrythmia at a young age was brought about by prolongued large training volume.

I am not in any suggesting that higher training volumes or prolongued intense training cycles were the direct cause of either of these situations, I am sure both were quite medically complicated with many factors. However, I still think moderation in training is important and something to think about if you have any heart risk factors. Or at least I have (relatively minor) heart condition and this is something I consider.

Hope the original poster makes a full recovery. Because it is completely bewildering when relatively young and very fit people have severe medical conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to do a search to remember but it's been a little over 10 years since Steve Larsen died suddenly. In the search results I found this thread and am wondering if there were results published?

I'm mulling a cardiac study here on Slowtwitch: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
The guy who died at the Philly marathon was my friend Chris Gleason. He had just gone 10:11 at IMLP at few months before Philly and was on sub 3 hrs pace at the marathon 25.5 mile mark. It was 10 years ago in 2011. Chris' 50th birthday was last week and he was 40 at the time..Chris went with the handle ChrisG on ST. Triyoda broke the news on here and it was not about an out of shape person doing a marathon on a lark and dying due to lack of prep.

Anyway to the OP glad you are around. It is awesome to get another few laps around the sun. Not that you were taking what you had for granted but I think staring at death this way gives us a better appreciation for what we want to do the the limited time left here.

One thing I will add about Chris (RIP) is we have to remember to take it easy sometimes, no matter how fit we are.

We've already heard from a very knowledgeable doctor on this thread, and maybe what happened to the original poster was inevitable based on genetics (being in good physical condition obviously didn't stop it). Likewise, for Chris, they never had an explanation, from the coroner, the official cause of death was basically "unexplained" spontaneous cardiac failure. My theory (and I am not a doctor) is it was (some level of residual training fatigue)*(very hard effort, running on PR pace)*(high levels of caffeine)*(allergy meds) creating the perfect storm.

The original poster said they typically trained 10-14 hrs per week. Objectively that is a lot, and definitely more exercise than is recommended for optimum health (6-7 hrs per week). Now we all do some things that are not perfectly healthy, so I am not suggesting no one should ever do some higher volume (like I would also never say one should never drink, never eat sugars, etc.), we have to enjoy life and that involves some vices and taking some risks. I typically average around 6-8 hrs per week, but sometimes I do more. But I will also add I developed a heart arrythmia after training 12-15 hours per week to my first (and only) IM in 2006 and after the arrythmia decided not to train consistently near those volumes again. You can still do pretty good on more moderate volume, although admittedly not for IM and even HIM you will not be able to get to your best performances, but still good enough to have fun.

But to Chris in particular, after a great performance in IMLP he was obsessed with running a fast marathon in November. For months, I suggested it was not a great idea, you crushed IMLP take some rest for the rest of the year, or if you must do the marathon don't try for a PR, just cruise it. I honestly think he believed I was concerned he was going to get bragging rights on me by beating my marathon PR and that's why I suggested a number of times that he not run the marathon (he was very fit). But it was all due to my belief in periodization and moderation and taking lots of recovery between big efforts, because you never know. Also tempered by my IMLP experience, I still believe the onset of that arrythmia at a young age was brought about by prolongued large training volume.

I am not in any suggesting that higher training volumes or prolongued intense training cycles were the direct cause of either of these situations, I am sure both were quite medically complicated with many factors. However, I still think moderation in training is important and something to think about if you have any heart risk factors. Or at least I have (relatively minor) heart condition and this is something I consider.

Hope the original poster makes a full recovery. Because it is completely bewildering when relatively young and very fit people have severe medical conditions.

I apologize for the OP's thread hijack with the topic of Chris Gleason but as Triyoda and I were good friends we were able to follow the events in between IMLP and Philly Marathon. He absolutely killed IMLP. But going PB fast in an open marathon is a completely different animal both in training and racing. Training for a sub 3 marathon means lots and lots of 6 minute miles and even more 7 min miles such that 7 min miles is roughly your average pace.

Between LP end of July, recovery in August, that left Sept and Oct for a PB marathon build. We will never know if he had enough recovery post IMLP and the impact an Ironman has on one's heart to deal with the high heart rate training that you need to do to run a fast open marathon. We don't know what Chris' heart looked like post IMLP but I remember talking to Simon Lessing after Ironman LP 2004 (which he won I believe) where he said a general physical afterwards showed all the horrible markers of someone who literally had heart disease.

I personally have done a lot of fast marathons BEFORE an IM and I have done a lot of fast Olympic and half IMs in the ffew months after an Ironman. But fast open marathon after an IM is a different animal. I only ran two fast open marathons after an IM (ie not planning jogging but racing end to end).

The first one was actually really fast. It was after IMC 1991. I took three weeks doing nothing, Did one 100km week did a 1 week taper and cranked out a 1:19 ((it was a bit net downhill so looks fast) +1:31 ( bit net uphill) = 2:51. I overcooked the first half a bit, but really the second half reflected an Ironman in the heart and legs. I couldn't even get my heart rate high enough. It was not a sugar bonk and my legs did not feel dead. It just felt like a heart rate blood supply limitation. Second one, after IMLP 1999, 3 months later after a proper 8 week build I ran a hilly Toronto marathon in 1:26+1:30 = 2:56. For that one I literally spent 2 months jogging and doing hillwork 1x per week and a hilly long run 1x per week. It was all low heart rate stuff otherwise and I did my speedwork on gradual long downhills at high speed and low heart rate and jogged uphill slowly (the Mark Allen plan).

I definitely would not recommend a fast open marathon after an IM. There are too many things that can unravel quickly. I am not sure if this lead to anything for ChrisG, but we can't say that it was not a factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First to OP. Glad you made it! I had my MI 9 months ago, after multiple Kona qualifiers and I am back on the training track with the same goals I had previously.

What Monty wrote: "I have a really good doc myself, but he lacks the athletic background to couple with his extensive knowledge of how the actual pump works and functions."

I discovered the field of sports cardiology. Athletes like us are a different breed, require a different kind of care and research supports that. The best program is at Massachusetts General Hospital with Aaron Baggish's group: https://www.massgeneral.org/...-performance-program

These athlete patient stories will inspire you: https://www.massgeneral.org/...-performance-program

I wasn't able to get in at Massachusetts General, but his protege' Tamana Singh is sports cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic. She has been a godsend with assuring me everything is OK with my heart to continue with my previous goals. She has helped me with my medications to get the right ones and the right dose that has minimum impact on my training.

Don't hesitate to reach out if I can be any help at all.
All the best to you and your family.
Last edited by: Upstaterun: Feb 22, 21 4:32
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Holy crap man. That is some tough stuff you went thru. Really glad to hear you survived. You haven't mentioned it, but how has your family been since this? Hope you guys are doing ok. I can only hope for the same. This makes me want to get blood work and a check up.[/quote]

I have put my wife through a hell of a lot over 16 years of marriage. She is a rock, a superstar, and all things lovely and beautiful and as an added bonus.... after years of not really loving my triathlon habbit... she jump in and became one of us and she is darn good (went 3rd OA/1stAG in her 2nd race. She is truly amazing. But no question it was traumatic, she was getting worried that I wasn't back from my run so she just kept calling my phone, she was by the pool at the Fairmont when she saw a few police walking around and they had my phone which was ringing and she quickly knew something bad happened. I just can't imagine what it feels like in a moment like that, pains me to even think about my wife experancing that. Our best friends (who have kids that are best friends with our kids) who were at their home about a block from the Fairmont, they grabbed my kids (6yo and 9yo) and my wife jumped in the police car and they took her to the hospital I was being taken to on the big island, but then she was told I was being lifeflighted to Oahu and she couldn't come on the helo, so the police took her to the Kona airport and she jumped on the next flight with not much more than her purse. Her parents (who live near us in Washington) ran to airport, somehow managed to get a covid test, and flew out that day to Kona. They grabbed the kiddos from our friends and spent the week at the Fairmont, I'm not sure what my kids understand on the whole situation but they were pretty protected and having a good time in the beach and the pool all week (they are flying home today back to Seattle with grandma and grandpa, so they will be back at school on Monday with my wifes parents just staying at our house with the kids till we can get home. My mom(also an EPICLY AMAZING woman with an amazing story of being strong and persevering, losing her father at 16 in a plane crash, and then she lost my dad when I was 2, also in a plane crash... and she has lived most of her life with Rumatoid Arthritis which has caused he to have just about every joint in her body replaced) jumped on the next flight from Phoenix to Honolulu and has been here supporting my wife when she isn't at the hospital. So my kids had people to take care of them and my wife had my mom to cry, laugh and just lift each other up. So... all things considered... everyone is doing pretty good. My wife is allowed to be here with me from 10a-6p but since she is an RN herself and worked in a hospital for years before quiting and making raising our kids her new career, they have allowed her to stay a little past 6pm each day(all the doctors and nurses here love her😀).. There have been A LOT of tears through this ordeal.. ALOT, I don't want to dimish that, but it was a pretty amazing example of a family coming together to support each other. I spent my time sitting here doing doing lot of crying, a lot of thinking and trying to figure things out. And again... my wife has had a hell of a worse week than me. I might have almost died, but she had to watch it slowly and painfully play out

So surprising.. the family is good, we are strong and we truly understand what a family is suppose to be. I am blessed beyond comprehension. Truly truly blessed.

And I will share our secret... not to be preachy and nothing religious(which to me is people's spin on the Bible): We all love Jesus, no religion.. Just Jesus + Bible, we know He is in control of our lives and He has a much bigger plan. There is peace that comes with that. And we can all cling to Him in these moments. There has been an enormous number of people praying for me and supporting my family. My wife has clung to her faith in Jesus to march forward full of tears for the last 5 days not knowing if she was ever going to get a kiss from me again. In 20 mins she is going to walk through my hospital room door and I and going to stand up, grab her, and plant the biggest kiss I can on her sweet lips.[/quote]
Wow. That is intense. Very glad to hear everything worked out and it is awesome to hear how family all jumped in. I agree-I can't imagine being your wife and not knowing what is going on.

My family and I agree with you regarding God and being in control. Not a popular opinion here, but I am okay with that. Take care and thanks again for all the info you've provided everyone (as well as everyone else).
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:

Hearts don't blow up, MI happens when an coronary artery is completely clogged up from plaque rupture, which is why ASA helps lower risk. The MI/heart attack can sometimes cause a fatal arrhythmia, unless there is successful resuscitation, like the OP.

CAD/ischemic heart disease risk incidence increases linearly with age.

It may be worth mentioning aneurisms. I think that's what some have in mind when thinking of a heart "blowing up."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but coronary artery calcium CT should also detect an aortic aneurysm. Yet another reason for that important test.

My story is very much like this Triathletes. I would have never known I had an aortic aneurysm, but for scans due to cancer:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/...has-aortic-aneurysms

My aneurysm is now fixed. The big pipe out of my heart is now a Dacron tube, and my aortic valve was repaired.

I was totally asymptomatic and would have never known I had an aneurysm if it wasn't found incidentally as part of my cancer diagnosis.

I believer Norman Stadler also had a large asymptomatic aneurysm before his surgery and retirement.

Last edited by: HNCsurvivor: Feb 22, 21 17:05
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [HNCsurvivor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good doc already answered my question about coronary calcium CT scans also picking up aneurysms a year ago in another thread. Thought this felt like groundhog day. Lot of water under the bridge in the last year, yowza.

dtoce wrote:
Yes.

Comments will be made if there are ‘incidental’ findings of lung nodules/mass or aortic aneurysm.

I have picked up several lung cancers that way and a few thoracic aortic aneurysms.

Edited to add: cost of the scan here in CT is ~$100 out of pocket. Been advising patients to get them for many years...but the cost is lower now.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7161173#p7161173
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Although critical left main disease is clearly worse, the commonly known ‘widow maker’ is indeed a proximal LAD lesion...

Alas. I’m wrong again. It won’t be the last time ;-)

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really glad you are OK, but also want to learn from your experience and from others like you. I am 48 and very fit; my wife is terrified I am going to keel over with a heart attack. Since reading How no to Die, my wife has gone to a whole food plant based diet, listens to every vlog from Dr Greggor, Rich Roll and many others. I have to admit, that I am slowly coming round to the idea that whole food, plant based is the way to go. I have been giving it try since Jan and I am feeling really good.

It's easy to think that we are lean, super fit triathletes, training 10-20 hours a week. However, bad diet, too much fat, sugar, meat, processed food etc could mean that we are equally at risk as the next person. Also remember that excess training may even be a risk factor rather than having health benefits
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so glad to hear the OP doing so well- physically, emotionally, spiritually.
I also do not want to hijack the thread.....but I just want to emphasize the importance of diet in all of this. As an MD, I can tell you that MD's are not trained in nutrition in the context of a healthy diet. Doctors and health professionals will focus on "treatment" in the form of procedures and medications. Unfortunately, these treatments do not change the underlying disease process(es). If you are serious about mitigating your risk of heart disease (and we all should be), then you should explore the book and materials mentioned above: "How not to die," etc. A good documentary as a starting place is "Forks over knives" and the website nutritionfacts.org will dig into the science in the way of brief videos that are based on peer-reviewed science that you can get the references and read the original papers for yourself. You can even find some science about performance and recovery ;).
I am a surgeon so this is peripheral in my personal practice, but I try to help people in this way as much as I can. Similarly, I am happy to help any of you in this way if you send me a personal message.
I am new to this forum and triathlon, but am impressed by this community on this thread. You all seem like such great people.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [endurer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this thread on my run this morning and this thought crossed my pea brain: is this a "guy" only thing? I don't think I have ever heard of an amateur or professional woman drop dead while participating in sport and I haven't read from any women chiming in on this thread that they have cardiac issues.
Last edited by: TJ56: Feb 23, 21 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally know of several of the old women who got pacemakers, and a couple that died too. But it does seem to be more male dominated, a characteristic I would gladly bestow....

I think the women who suffer from heart issues are just more private that we are, as in most things I suppose..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
gregtay wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm glad you're in care now! Whew. Rest, take care.

Before this, in the years before, had you ever had any of the following?

-ekg
-ultrasound
-bloodwork
-routine measure BP
-other

Stories like this are just so concerning. I had all that stuff done inadvertently after a horrible race crash in a sprint at 35mph. They were doing all that anyway so checked out stuff. And I have a home BP cuff.

I just always wonder if there's anything more to do.

No, admittedly I have not had any significant workup or monitoring (I will make this a practice going forward.) I did have another scary event in 2012 where I had a staph infection get into my blood and spread around. Mostly ended up in my spine the the ER doctors were worried about my heart... they did a lot of cardiovascular testing and didn't find anything concerning. That fun medical episode put me on an IV machine with antibiotics for 3 month and the inability to walk for 1-2 monfh.

Holy crap man. That is some tough stuff you went thru. Really glad to hear you survived. You haven't mentioned it, but how has your family been since this? Hope you guys are doing ok. I can only hope for the same. This makes me want to get blood work and a check up.

I have put my wife through a hell of a lot over 16 years of marriage. She is a rock, a superstar, and all things lovely and beautiful and as an added bonus.... after years of not really loving my triathlon habbit... she jump in and became one of us and she is darn good (went 3rd OA/1stAG in her 2nd race. She is truly amazing. But no question it was traumatic, she was getting worried that I wasn't back from my run so she just kept calling my phone, she was by the pool at the Fairmont when she saw a few police walking around and they had my phone which was ringing and she quickly knew something bad happened. I just can't imagine what it feels like in a moment like that, pains me to even think about my wife experancing that. Our best friends (who have kids that are best friends with our kids) who were at their home about a block from the Fairmont, they grabbed my kids (6yo and 9yo) and my wife jumped in the police car and they took her to the hospital I was being taken to on the big island, but then she was told I was being lifeflighted to Oahu and she couldn't come on the helo, so the police took her to the Kona airport and she jumped on the next flight with not much more than her purse. Her parents (who live near us in Washington) ran to airport, somehow managed to get a covid test, and flew out that day to Kona. They grabbed the kiddos from our friends and spent the week at the Fairmont, I'm not sure what my kids understand on the whole situation but they were pretty protected and having a good time in the beach and the pool all week (they are flying home today back to Seattle with grandma and grandpa, so they will be back at school on Monday with my wifes parents just staying at our house with the kids till we can get home. My mom(also an EPICLY AMAZING woman with an amazing story of being strong and persevering, losing her father at 16 in a plane crash, and then she lost my dad when I was 2, also in a plane crash... and she has lived most of her life with Rumatoid Arthritis which has caused he to have just about every joint in her body replaced) jumped on the next flight from Phoenix to Honolulu and has been here supporting my wife when she isn't at the hospital. So my kids had people to take care of them and my wife had my mom to cry, laugh and just lift each other up. So... all things considered... everyone is doing pretty good. My wife is allowed to be here with me from 10a-6p but since she is an RN herself and worked in a hospital for years before quiting and making raising our kids her new career, they have allowed her to stay a little past 6pm each day(all the doctors and nurses here love her😀).. There have been A LOT of tears through this ordeal.. ALOT, I don't want to dimish that, but it was a pretty amazing example of a family coming together to support each other. I spent my time sitting here doing doing lot of crying, a lot of thinking and trying to figure things out. And again... my wife has had a hell of a worse week than me. I might have almost died, but she had to watch it slowly and painfully play out

So surprising.. the family is good, we are strong and we truly understand what a family is suppose to be. I am blessed beyond comprehension. Truly truly blessed.

And I will share our secret... not to be preachy and nothing religious(which to me is people's spin on the Bible): We all love Jesus, no religion.. Just Jesus + Bible, we know He is in control of our lives and He has a much bigger plan. There is peace that comes with that. And we can all cling to Him in these moments. There has been an enormous number of people praying for me and supporting my family. My wife has clung to her faith in Jesus to march forward full of tears for the last 5 days not knowing if she was ever going to get a kiss from me again. In 20 mins she is going to walk through my hospital room door and I and going to stand up, grab her, and plant the biggest kiss I can on her sweet lips.

Quick update: on Sunday I walked out of the ICU on my own two feet with my beautiful wife's hand in mine. Overall I feel really good, but obviously a long road ahead with more tests, more education, and tweaks to life, but overall, I am good, I am truly good. A little pudgy from all the meds and my chest is still sore, but went for a very slow 1mile walk yesterday. We are hoping to fly home to Seattle on Sunday (and I can't wait for a hug from my kiddos!) I am still learning a lot from the events of the past week, I will share everything I can over time to help others and I am always happy to answer questions. And likewise... thank you to everyone who has chimed in and taken the time to share info, super valuable.
-Greg

Quote | Reply
Good to see the cat alive and well. Now do you get tto move on to the next 8 lives, or do you think you are down to less than 8. Hopefully you have all 8 still in hand. Enjoy the rest!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Good to see the cat alive and well. Now do you get tto move on to the next 8 lives, or do you think you are down to less than 8. Hopefully you have all 8 still in hand. Enjoy the rest!!!

I had a staph infection get into my bloodstream and almost take me out back in 2012 which included 8 days in the hospital and 3 months on an IV machine, plus it got into my spine which was excruciating and dehibilitating. This happened right after three weekends of back to back 70.3s.. which in hindsight was a really dumb idea that gave my immune system zero chance in fighting it alone.) So I guess I am down to 7 at the most 😏

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I had a staph infection get into my bloodstream and almost take me out back in 2012 which included 8 days in the hospital and 3 months on an IV machine, plus it got into my spine which was excruciating and dehibilitating. This happened right after three weekends of back to back 70.3s.. which in hindsight was a really dumb idea that gave my immune system zero chance in fighting it alone.) So I guess I am down to 7 at the most 😏

Just to be safe, let's budget that 5 are used up and there are only 4 left. I am living off the assumption that 8 are used up as being run over by a bus 2.5 years ago probably used only one of mine (in addition to 2 others previously) but 7 from my wife, so if I do anything risky and stupid, I think she will make sure my game is over LOL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Below is the story of my cardiac event weeks ago as told by my wife. I am sharing because I think she does an amazing job capturing the emotion of everything and also the beautiful picture of so many people jumping in to help out in our time of crisis. As I've said before, my wife is amazing beyond words. I'm the luckiest man on the planet and I'm glad my days with her aren't over yet. I hope and pray your spouse/families never have to go through something like this. Good news is that I am good, healing and getting stronger every day.

Here ya go.. warning... lots of raw emotion on what it's like to be on the other side:

In Angela Taylor's words.......

February 13, 2021 is a day that I will never forget. It’s the day that my worst nightmare become a reality, yet it’s a day that I never want to forget...

We had only been in Hawaii on the Big Island for less than 24 hours, on a trip that we planned just 1 week prior, and managed to keep a secret from the kids until heading to the airport. The night we arrived we had dinner at our favorite restaurant, where our server remembered us from our previous trip. The kids were so happy, drawing pictures of us all together, as Greg and I talked about our zest for being crazy and our love of creating family memories. Little did I know that Greg would never remember any of it and that our lives were about to change forever. The next morning after breakfast Greg and I decided to take turns going for a run. I suggested he go first since he can’t tolerate the heat, as I do. So I took our excited kids to the pool. I was having a blast with the kids and I didn’t want Greg to feel rushed, so when over an hour went by without any word from him, I didn’t think much of it. We normally don’t run that long on vacation, but I knew it was a possibility. Then an hour and a half went by and I was starting to wonder. Even if he went for a really long run, he would have sent me some kind of message by now. So I send a text asking if he is ok...and get no response. Anxiety circles in my head, but I convince myself that when I call he will answer the phone saying “Oh sorry, I ran into Russell and Brecken and got carried away chatting, be back soon” But instead it goes to voicemail. So I call again thinking maybe he just didn’t see it or hear it. No answer. Anxiety accelerates. Redial. Redial. Redial. No answer. Then I notice 3 police officers walking across the resort property. Redial. Redial. No answer. The officers are now scanning the pool area and I think ‘Please don’t walk towards me’. Redial. No answer. I tell myself it can’t be true. Redial. Redial. Redial. Answer. ”Hello? Are you Greg’s wife?....Your husband collapsed. His heart stopped and he stopped breathing. Someone performed CPR and when EMT arrived they had to shock him twice to get his heart working again. He is at the hospital now and we have begun the cooling process. He will be airlifted to Honolulu” With one of the officers nearby, I looked at him and said “You must be looking for me” Tears streaming down my face, my whole world shook and I quickly crumbled. But if only in that moment I could have seen that Jesus was right there next to me.

After a painful 30 min drive to the hospital in a police car, I am taken to a room to see my best friend, and the love of my life, incoherent, with a tube down his throat and numerous devices attached to him. He is cold to the touch and completely lifeless. They had put him to sleep and were cooling his body down to 32 degrees, a process that lasts several days, so as to give him the best chance of surviving the damages cardiac arrest causes. They tell me that we will not know his functioning ability until he is awoken after completing the lengthy protocol. He may not be able to talk normal, he may be paralyzed, his brain may not function as it did before. I continually cycle though a flood of tears, nauseating fear, and a numb disbelief. Finally my brain goes into an overload of panic, I begin to hyperventilate and almost pass out.

Thankfully our amazing friends were taking great care of the kids, and my parents were working hard to get a Covid test so that they could come to Hawaii. After the air transport team carted Greg away to helicopter him somewhere that I had never been, I grabbed the soonest flight to Honolulu. I weeped for the entire 50 minute flight and felt like time was in slow motion. When I finally arrived to the hospital at 6:05, security informed me that visiting hours were over, they end at 6pm. My heart sank and I frantically called up to the floor. Thankfully, they made an exception to let me in for just a little bit. After getting to talk with one of Greg’s many doctors, his nurse that night, Grace, let me stay until 9:15 and lovingly reassured me that she would take excellent care of him. In a dark fog, I checked into a hotel and thought I would never sleep. I stayed on the phone with my parents, who listened, encouraged, and prayed for me until I thought I could fall asleep. In complete exhaustion, I did finally fall asleep, but awoke in great fear and distress around 3 am. In that moment I realized that the scenario was so far out of my control that I could not tackle it with grit or in any of my own ways. The only answer was Jesus. I cried to Jesus asking Him to send his angels to be with Greg so that he wasn’t alone. And He sent them. Then I cried asking that Jesus would sit with Greg. And He did. As I called out “Thank you Jesus!” over and over, I felt a peace like I have never experienced. I felt THAT peace. THAT peace which transcends all understanding. It came over me like a warm blanket and I quickly fell into a deep sleep.

The next day at the hospital I talked with multiple doctors who told me there were no findings so far that made any sense of what happened to my husband. And they couldn’t do more in-depth tests on his heart while he was cold. So I sat next to Greg and held his cold, limp hand and missing dearly the feel of his hand squeezing mine back. As I sat there and studied his lifeless body, less than 24 hours after he was admitted in Honolulu, I knew that Jesus was there, right there, with Greg. So on February 14, 2021 at 3:22 I took a picture of Greg because I knew that he was going to be ok. I wanted to remember the deep pain and agony I was in, and would continue to feel, until Greg was back, and I wanted to NEVER forget God’s Mighty Hand and the abundant prayers that He was answering from a magnitude of prayer warriors all around.

That night my phone rang at midnight because the doctors promised they would call me if anything happened. Greg’s heart went into ventricular fibrillation, but they were able to get it under control and he was stable. My whole body could not stop shaking from anxieties kicking in again. So I declared to Jesus that I trusted His promise to me that Greg would be ok and asked for His continual hand on him. Again, that beautiful peace, that feels even better than a warm blanket, enveloped me and sent me quickly back to sleep.

As I went through each day, I felt such anguish for Greg, but the confidence and strength God gave me was surreal. He placed all the right people in my life to carry me though. Greg’s mom was even able to get a record speed, last minute Covid test and flight to Honolulu so that I wasn’t physically alone anymore. Our time together was incredibly uplifting.

When Greg’s body finally got to be warmed back up, they were able to do further testing which showed that Greg’s heart was only pumping at 20% capacity, instead of 60%. So even though none of his bloodwork or life style indicated for it, they went forward with an angioplasty to see if there was any blockage. And much to all of our surprise, they found he was 90% blocked at the top of his heart. Turns out Greg has a genetic heart disease. How could we have ever known?? Greg gave no indication. We were just doing hard bike rides together at home only a few days prior to this and he felt great. He had zero chest pain or fatigue leading up to his collapse.
So they put in a stent and went forward with waking Greg up and pulled out the breathing tube when they saw that he could breathe on his own. There were some minor complications to follow, and it was not easy for Greg to process so much whilst coming out of an induced coma, but God continued to carry us through it all. And as you can see...Greg is more than ok, he is alive and 100% himself! Recovery is a bit uncomfortable but he is powering through it like a champ.

So I never want to forget every moment of those 9 days. I want to remember that intense pain because that pain is what gave me the wake up call that I needed to draw close to Jesus. And I need to stay close to Him every single day.
I want to remember all of the people who God used to carry me through it. I just cannot say enough about all of our wonderful family. Also our incredible BCS school family. Especially Skyla’s remarkable teacher, who was one of my pillars. So many amazing friends who prayed and sent encouraging messages.

The Pitts family who jumped into action without hesitation to help carry me and be a pillar. The absolute kindest manager from the Fairmont, who went above and beyond to care for me and my family. Greg’s dear, sweet friend who happened to be in Honolulu and checked in with me daily to see if I needed anything. A great team of doctors who showed genuine empathy and kept me so well informed and included. The wonderful nurses Anna, Howie, Geena, Janis, Kaipo, and Jami who took great care of Greg and felt like friends to me. And most certainly, never will I forget the names Tap and Meena— CPR certified security officers from the Fairmont who saved Greg’s life.

All praise and glory to God! He is real and Jesus reigns!

Prev Next