Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indoors bike, cooling, and using rest intervals to control heat buildup [Troutd0g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Troutd0g wrote:
I use a single floor based multi speed fan by Vornado positioned directly in front of the front tire. It is angled upwards so it blows cool air head-on similar to actual riding. It is more than adequate. Part of the conditioning is to tolerate elevated body temp, otherwise when it’s time ride outdoors during hot weather it is a shock to the system. To be fair, I’m in a cold weather state (CO) and in the winter the pain cave is 60F.

In addition to the fan I also drape one of those towels that has the water absorbing dots in it, across the back of my neck. Every 10 mins I sit up and wave it a few times and it recools itself. I keep this on during the treadmill run that follows during a brick session. It’s incredible how well it works to control heat build up.

I knew a pro cyclist (who also raced in hot and humid conditions) that would train in a tiny pain cave with the biggest, coldest window unit air conditioner known to man, and with 5 fans to distribute the cooling.

Makes you think... 🤔

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Indoors bike, cooling, and using rest intervals to control heat buildup [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Troutd0g wrote:
I use a single floor based multi speed fan by Vornado positioned directly in front of the front tire. It is angled upwards so it blows cool air head-on similar to actual riding. It is more than adequate. Part of the conditioning is to tolerate elevated body temp, otherwise when it’s time ride outdoors during hot weather it is a shock to the system. To be fair, I’m in a cold weather state (CO) and in the winter the pain cave is 60F.

In addition to the fan I also drape one of those towels that has the water absorbing dots in it, across the back of my neck. Every 10 mins I sit up and wave it a few times and it recools itself. I keep this on during the treadmill run that follows during a brick session. It’s incredible how well it works to control heat build up.

I knew a pro cyclist (who also raced in hot and humid conditions) that would train in a tiny pain cave with the biggest, coldest window unit air conditioner known to man, and with 5 fans to distribute the cooling.

Makes you think... 🤔

It's one thing to start to steadily ride outside in heat and buildup some heat tolerance. It's another entirely to constantly short yourself power production (and subsequently training stress and gains) by being too hot and producing less power.

I'm of the opinion of make it possible for you to make the most power you can with your environment, then just grow up and go do some training rides outside when it gets hot and is near your event.

Does you no good producing constantly 20w or worse less indoors if you can help it.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoors bike, cooling, and using rest intervals to control heat buildup [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Troutd0g wrote:

Makes you think... 🤔

It's one thing to start to steadily ride outside in heat and buildup some heat tolerance. It's another entirely to constantly short yourself power production (and subsequently training stress and gains) by being too hot and producing less power.

I'm of the opinion of make it possible for you to make the most power you can with your environment, then just grow up and go do some training rides outside when it gets hot and is near your event.

Does you no good producing constantly 20w or worse less indoors if you can help it.

It should be noted that proper heat adaptation takes two weeks and proper training for pro cycling takes a lifetime. My friend knew this.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next