Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I nearly built a bike around some tires
Quote | Reply
My all around road bike is a circa 2000 Airborne Zeppelin (Titanium), and I love it. Since the frame is older, there's plenty of clearance to run a wide range of tire widths. I had used up to 28mm without issue, and figured there was more space (width wise) to slap on some 35's. Nope. The width was okay but the tires bulged out too far when mounted on the wheels I had available (17mm internal rim width).

So, I figured I'd see if I could pick up some lower cost wide rims which might allow the tires to bulge less, and then they'd fit. I located a an affordable set ($200), mounted the 35's, and......they still couldn't fit.

For no good reason, I fell in love with the cheap new wheels (now fitted with the 35's), and I hatched a plan to build a bike around them. I figured I might be able to find something cheap (frame-wise) since this would be a rim brake bike. The search began, and I started building my list of parts/pieces to acquire to build around the wheels that I bought to try and make 35mm tires work on my Airborne.

Hours into this madness, it occurred to me that I can keep the new wheels and just mount the 28's on there (which would still be an improvement over the older wheelset), and then I can use these wheels on the bike I have. I will just have to set the 35mm tires aside for now. I need to let it go.

I know the true answer is n+1, but I'm putting two kids through college right now, and a new bike isn't in the cards.

The story above illustrates a certain type of cycling equipment vortex in which I found myself trapped, and I feel lucky to have recognized the situation before I ordered up all the parts.
Quote Reply
Re: I nearly built a bike around some tires [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
My all around road bike is a circa 2000 Airborne Zeppelin (Titanium), and I love it. Since the frame is older, there's plenty of clearance to run a wide range of tire widths.
2000 was within the era of super-skinny tires. If a road bike came with wider than a 23 that year, it was likely either a bottom-end model or a touring bike. And clearances tended to be pretty restrictive.

Quote:
So, I figured I'd see if I could pick up some lower cost wide rims which might allow the tires to bulge less
Moving to a wider rim will cause the tires to become wider, not narrower. They'll "bulge" less in the sense that they won't have such a "lightbulb" shape, but this won't help you with frame clearance to the sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth until fairly recently no road rims were very wide and we used to have no problems running 32-35mm tires for cyclocross on them, even with the buldging lightbulb shape. The only problem your going to have is brake clearance because most side pull calipers don't have enough space for a tire that big.
Quote Reply
Re: I nearly built a bike around some tires [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
For what it's worth until fairly recently no road rims were very wide and we used to have no problems running 32-35mm tires for cyclocross on them, even with the buldging lightbulb shape. The only problem your going to have is brake clearance because most side pull calipers don't have enough space for a tire that big.

I was able to get the wheel (with 35mm tire mounted) onto the bike even with the caliper brakes. The spot where the tire doesn't fit is the clamp for the front derailer. Otherwise, I think these could work.

Given that the issue is the front derailer clamp, I have also gone through a whole thought process of whether or not to switch to a 1X configuration. But, I am not going to go in that direction. I like having 2 rings up front because I live in a hilly area.

For the record the 35mm tires I have aren't even that special. They are just some cheap road commuting tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have built or modified multiple bikes around tire size. I reallylike 650bx47 road tires and wished that Conti would make their GP5000tl in that size. I've built up two gravel bikes because I wanted certain qualities in my all-road machine and that meant I needed mtb tire clearance, so I turned former mtb frames in gravel bikes.
Quote Reply