Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tight turnaround between races
Quote | Reply
Ironman 70.3 Geelong was postponed from 21 Feb to 28 Mar due to a COVID lockdown in Victoria (AUS). The new date puts it two weeks ahead of Challenge Shepparton (70.3). These two races, along with 70.3 Melbourne (Nov) are the highlights of the Victorian race calendar and a lot of triathletes, I assume, would've planned to race both.

Without getting into a MUST vs MUST NOT argument, what is the shortest duration between 70.3 races you have done and how did you fair? Were you able to hold peak across two races in a short time or did you suffer on the second race? How did you tackle recovery and what did your training look like during that short break between races?

FWIW I plan to race both and am looking forward to seeing how the body responds.
Quote Reply
Re: Tight turnaround between races [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that to be a manageable turnaround time, though it varies from person to person.

The biggest factor (for me) is training volume. If I am training for a full IM and have "extra" volume, I can recover much faster than if I am doing just enough to get me through the 70.3.

In the time between, I'd have more emphasis on swimming and less emphasis on running than usual, since this puts less stress on the body.

I also find that just being in the water (I teach swim lessons) works magic on my legs in terms of recovery. Not sure what the science is on this, but if my legs are sore they definitely feel better after some time just gently moving around in the pool. Massage, dynamic stretching, foam rolling, etc are also good tools.

Not sure if one race is a priority over the other? If the first race is the priority, I'd go for it, and then hope for the best in race #2. If the 2nd race is the priority, you could hold back a bit on the run in race #1, since that will be a bigger factor in your recovery time than the swim & bike. Good luck!

Cheers,
Ginger

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in my early 30s, I raced five consecutive weekends two summers in a row. These were my 4th and 5th seasons of racing triathlon. It was two 70.3s and then three Olympics, in that order. I don't have any specifics with regard to recovery other than I just listened to my body and did what felt right knowing that I had several consecutive races coming up...and that the last race of the bunch was going to be the end of my season (which back then was early September).

I raced them all as if they were an A race....it's racing after all! Can't recall thinking that any of it was a bad idea at the time, other than being more mentally spent at the end of it from racing so frequently in a short span of time. Performances for the 70.3 were all between 4:15-4:20 and the Olys were all within 2 minutes on either side of 2hrs.

Bottom line is that it depends and YMMV.

Quote | Reply
I did Long Course Nationals and Triple T NC on consecutive weekends in 2011.

Biked and ran the fastest I've ever gone at that time at LCN (2:23/1:43 I think) and then backed it up with a 3rd place in Masters at TTTNC.

(TTTNC is a Super Sprint on Friday night, 2 Olympics on Saturday and a HIM on Sun on completely flat courses in North Carolina)

If I was doing two HIM's in two weeks I'd be trying to do my best at the first one, take the next 5 days nearly completely off then train easy into the second one and try to better the first one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not worth anything as long as you don’t know the age of those who answer.
In my 20-30s I could ‘race’ HIMs on back to back weekends.
Now, not so much at all. 2weeks? I would race the first, and enjoy the second, as I wouldn’t be fully recovered either way.
Quote Reply
Re: Tight turnaround between races [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on attacking both races as "A" races when they were 7 weeks apart. Now I'll probably hit the first as hard as I can and hope to hang on on the second. For context I'll be hoping to finish both 4:4X with my run being the question mark against that time. I trust my coach to get me through, knowing that I'll be straight into off-season after the second race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A peak can be held for 4-6 weeks if the build-up to peak period is handled appropriately: base, endurance, speed, and taper. Prepare mentally for the races with the attitude that you are ready for two "A" races over two weekends. Approach the first race as any of your other "A" races. Do active recovery post-race. Pain and stiffness should diminish to near zero 3-4 days later. Flush out any lingering effects on the in-between weekend with easy swimming, riding, and running coupled with minimal top-end speed efforts in all three legs over three days. Just enough to remind your muscles of your speed. Then taper 5-6 days into your second "A" race the following weekend. One of the guys did 4 Olys over four consecutive weekends where he podiumed in his age group in all of them (3 of the 4 races had over 2,000 competitors in them). In 2019 he did three IM 70.3s over three weekends with the European Championships as race #2, his fastest time.

If physically trained, you should race in both. Your outcome will depend more on your mental toughness. Both races should be just like any other, you race to your maximum sustainable output that only slightly hurts, but you keep going. Once the horn sounds for the second race, you will not even think about the first race. You will be in your zone like any other your competitions.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was properly training for IM, I could “race” a 70.3 and then be good to go hard just a few days later.

I think your biggest determinant in “if you’re ready for both” is your run fitness, and how long your body takes to recover from a hard half marathon

The calendar is what it is, just train up for it and have a blast. I bet you’ll PR the second one, since you have a good tune up race shortly before
Quote Reply
Re: Tight turnaround between races [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
When I was properly training for IM, I could “race” a 70.3 and then be good to go hard just a few days later.

I think your biggest determinant in “if you’re ready for both” is your run fitness, and how long your body takes to recover from a hard half marathon

The calendar is what it is, just train up for it and have a blast. I bet you’ll PR the second one, since you have a good tune up race shortly before

Coincidentally, I am now racing a half marathon in 10 days since the first 70.3 got pushed back. I guess I'll know how long it takes for me to recover from a hard half marathon in a couple of weeks.
Quote Reply