Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writersblock12 wrote:
dunno wrote:
writersblock12 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
I thought his video was excellent (and I don’t give 2 shits for TT). It makes you kinda realize what the priority is for IM but also how important keeping IM around is for the sport.

I’m not sure I follow how keeping IM around is good for the sport. Businesses fail and others take their place. IM has acted as an ambassador for the global promotion of triathlon but at what expense? How much of our perception of IM is truth and what is the wool being pulled over our eyes ?

If you’re trying to sell shoes or bikes then maybe your fate in the short term is tied to whether IM survives the next 8-10 months. In that respect, maybe IM is important and could domino a few other solid brands into a financial tailspin.

What’s never been good for our sport is IM’s commoditization of the human potential.

What wool is being pulled over what eyes? They hold races, you chose to enter or not. I can't see the big conspiracy?

No conspiracy at all but many seem to pay the entry fee without questioning the value of the product and now call IM corrupt for not returning their money.
They’ve been carrying this debt for years but have done such a masterful job puffing up athlete’s egos.

Now everyone seems to have woken up to the fact that IM is broke and their entry fee return policy reflects that fact.

If people didn't see value in the product then they wouldn't buy it....

So you are saying IM is bad because they aren't doing great financially?
Quote Reply
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
I get that the experience is different but this is what I am getting at when I repeat time and time again that so many Ironman types aren't actually fans of the sport they are fans of the almighty M-Dot and the "cool factor" that the logo brings.Sure that is great but it is also great to go to random locations with few competitors and really get to know the racers and the town hosting the event.Sometimes the Gong Show of low key races is part of the fun.
I have raced the Esprit in Montreal twice,the 226 in Ottawa,the Grand Columbian in Washington State,The Single Anvil Oregon,Challenge Cairns,Challenge Wanaka and the Triple M Tri in Sydney on top of 25 or so Ironman's and each one of the independent races were fun for their own reasons.The Grand Columbian was hilarious as the RD from Ironman Canada,his wife,Steve King and I drove down from Penticton together for the weekend.I raced and the other three ran the finish line.I finished in second place and then was immediately put to work,with cans of beer in my water bottle cages, as finish line spotter which meant I had to get back on my bike and ride back and forth one block to let them know what number racer was about to make the final turn to finish.All great fun.
Big crowds and "The Show" are all well and good but part of the attraction of the 20-plus Ultra-tri's I have been part of is the low numbers and the laid back atmosphere without the bluster and ego.I am volunteering at another Ultra right now with 60'ish competitors and it is great fun.

People aren't "Fans" of Ironman, they're customers of Ironman. They're not fans of the sport because they are the sport, truly. Triathlon as a sport is based in participation, the consumable is that you participate in a race, not that you take a race in. This ain't cricket.

I'm a fan of the sport, most on this board are, but this board is a microcosm of the hardcore fan/analytical participant and not the rule.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
writersblock12 wrote:
dunno wrote:
writersblock12 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
I thought his video was excellent (and I don’t give 2 shits for TT). It makes you kinda realize what the priority is for IM but also how important keeping IM around is for the sport.

I’m not sure I follow how keeping IM around is good for the sport. Businesses fail and others take their place. IM has acted as an ambassador for the global promotion of triathlon but at what expense? How much of our perception of IM is truth and what is the wool being pulled over our eyes ?

If you’re trying to sell shoes or bikes then maybe your fate in the short term is tied to whether IM survives the next 8-10 months. In that respect, maybe IM is important and could domino a few other solid brands into a financial tailspin.

What’s never been good for our sport is IM’s commoditization of the human potential.

What wool is being pulled over what eyes? They hold races, you chose to enter or not. I can't see the big conspiracy?

No conspiracy at all but many seem to pay the entry fee without questioning the value of the product and now call IM corrupt for not returning their money.
They’ve been carrying this debt for years but have done such a masterful job puffing up athlete’s egos.

Now everyone seems to have woken up to the fact that IM is broke and their entry fee return policy reflects that fact.

If people didn't see value in the product then they wouldn't buy it....

So you are saying IM is bad because they aren't doing great financially?

Disagree slightly. I think there is a distinction between level of satisfaction or value of the product (ie race experience) and the allure of the marketing. The majority of first time IM competitors, unless you've volunteer or spectated, won't have an accurate assumption of the value of the product.

If their balance sheet is directly correlated to the reason why they are not returning entry fees (which some seem to be speculating but has not been stated publicly by the company) then a reasonable person might come to the conclusion that they are dissatisfied with IM.
Quote Reply
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
People aren't "Fans" of Ironman, they're customers of Ironman.

i got taken to task for saying that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
People aren't "Fans" of Ironman, they're customers of Ironman.

i got taken to task for saying that.

I do understand where he's going with that. Especially with the mantra of "It's all about the [athletes] Age Groupers" that gets parroted a lot. Which is in fact the case. Races that have a professional field sell out. Races that don't have a professional field sell out.

Ironman is an "Experiential Entertainment Event Promoter". The event itself is a race of course that involve specific services. So to an extent, We the Amateur are their athletes, since they aren't selling admission to spectators except for the VIP experience. But we're also still a customer as well. Therefore what we have here is a duality of existence: we are both "the athletes" and the customers.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of starting yet another thread on this, for those with IMLP on their radar

Greg B., the RD, just sent out an email update on the LP half/full marathon that was scheduled for mid June and it is being moved to September as they could not get local government approval.
Quote Reply
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't deny that IM puts on great events of that size, but if the Big Island county council got together and decided to award Challenge the 2023 permits for an October full distance race and they decided to make all challenge events globally qualifying events with chances for the MOP/Everyman to get in as well, we wouldn't hear a thing about IM for a year. IDK why but Kona still holds that allure and whoever controls Kona controls long distance triathlon.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I don't deny that IM puts on great events of that size, but if the Big Island county council got together and decided to award Challenge the 2023 permits for an October full distance race and they decided to make all challenge events globally qualifying events with chances for the MOP/Everyman to get in as well, we wouldn't hear a thing about IM for a year. IDK why but Kona still holds that allure and whoever controls Kona controls long distance triathlon.
Nah to the Challenge comments

Don't they have a small fraction of the races globally that IM has? Very limited exposure, no buzz factor
and no " eye candy appeal".
Quote Reply
Re: An update from Andrew Messick - reactions? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between Ironman and non-IM is 100% packaging. Such is the power of the brand that the CUSTOMERS pay hand over fist to be in a race called Ironman, period. Some also like the size of the event, but Ironman has no monopoly on big events, at least here in Europe. It's not a duopoly with Challenge either. You've got the Ocean Lava brand, the Outlaw (1000 participants in 2019), a plethora of other races. One "local race" in Poland, marketed under a brand none of you have heard of, attracts 1500 people year in year out (across distances from sprint to half) - more than the the Ironman 70.3 and 5150 events.

I quit racing 5150s, even though I happen to live in a city that has one, because the cost was too high, the logistics cumbersome, and organisation not-great-not-terrible. You get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Feb 26, 21 2:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

Not sure why people continue to discount the IM branding.

In recent history all you need to do is look at Ironman Canada. WTC moves the race from Penticton to Whistler in 2013. Challenge, the City of Penticton, and other misguided folks thought the allure of the race was Penticton and put on a “competing” race. They were tremendously wrong.

The allure of the race was the name Ironman Canada and not the location. Which will be proven once again as it moves back to Penticton and won’t miss a beat. They could move the race to Victoria next year and nobody would care. Move it to Toronto the year after that and so on. It’s the name that matters the most.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 IDK why but Kona still holds that allure

------

To me it's not Kona...it's IM. It has the allure because it's the shining moment of IM events. I actually think Kona could be replaced and they'd have no issue. People would bitch and be unhappy and then suddenly when IM WC was in Nice or Moolooba or X spot they'd sell out those events. Yes people would be bummed and mad, and I would bet they'd have ZERO issue selling out said event. Hell they'd probaly make more money cus isn't Kona limited to like 2k people, whereas other events could likely get 3k+?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next