Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dylan Johnson Trainerroad review [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
From memory they say that with one exception their plans are pyramidal as opposed to just being SST.

They do, and I think I have more issue with this statement than anything else they mentioned. I heard it and was like "no way", so did the math on sweet spot base low volume. That plan is something like 43% zone 1, 52% zone 2, and 5% Z3 (don't have the numbers in front of me), but far from pyramidal. I added up every minute of the plan to arrive at those numbers. I know that Fitzgerald suggests for his 80/20 plans that the rest interval should be included in the zone and not sussed out like I did. So where TR had a set of 3x15's with 5 minutes between, I counted that as 45 minutes zone 2, and 10 minutes zone 1, where I think some proponents of polarized would count it as 55 minutes zone 2. This gives more zone 1 work to TR and it is still less than half of the TIZ for an entire plan. Some weeks were 40/60 of Z1/Z2.

I didn't do the math for more plans, because I didn't feel like it :), but when you look at the base plans (which I personally feel should be trained according to a proper pyramidal model) these plans are not pyramidal.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dylan Johnson Trainerroad review [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree with you as I start to dislike the bike after several weeks on the Tri plans. I have pushed my plan for a 70.3 3 times in the last year due to postponed races (like everyone). The last few months I have felt completely burnt out.

I think for me at my age I need less intensity for recovery, hopefully the adaptive training will sort this out when it is implemented.

What might make sense for me is to do one day of intensity on the bike using their plans, then the rest are lower intensity type of rides (either outdoors or indoors)

I have listened to their podcasts and I think they are pretty good about taking criticism, and I believe they are on to something special. I continue to be a fan of Amber, Nate, Jonathan and Coach Chad for their honesty and transparency. If I knew anything about coding or had a technical background I think it would be a great place to work.

My dream for TR is for them to implement Adaptive training for tri plans and for them to merge with a platform like Zwift to make the time a little more enjoyable/entertaining.

In a few years it will be amazing to see how the virtual training world evolves.
Quote Reply

Prev Next