Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Shoe with High Arch
Quote | Reply
I posted tis a while back but am still looking for answers. I have custom orthotics but prefer to run without them for comfort issues.

Can anyone recommend a high arch shoe?

Currently running in the NB 1080 but at 6'1 185 they tend to wear quickly

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe with High Arch [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not sure a true high arch shoe exists. Iā€™ve had a lot of customers ask for the same and there was never a consensus theyā€™d all agree on. If you donā€™t want to wear your custom orthotics Iā€™d suggest looking for an OTC pair that could be swapped in. Not ideal I know, but gives you more freedom over the shoe options you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoes are flat inside. Look at them. Use your orthotics (or a good OTC one like Superfeet) or don't but don't expect the same feel without. If you want something narrow fitting through the arch, that's one thing (try the Nike Infinity React 2) but don't expect it to actually support anything.

All that being said, if you want something that puts a little more feel under the arch seek out a Karhu that uses a fulcrum through the midfoot. It's the only thing I've seen that remotely gives a little push up under the arch. I think you can only find them direct from Karhu or at a Fleet Feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike infinity react infinity run has a pretty decent arch https://www.nike.com/...oe-8XGSrl/CT2357-002

LMK if you can't find it locally. We have a pretty decent stock in still. Even have a few random Infinity React Run's edition 1 on the sale rack. Random sizes though.
You can ring us up or use the online shoe form http://runningshopaz.com/

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe with High Arch [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man. As someone who runs with high arch orthotics (powersteps) in a stability shoe (NB 860) for 70% of my running, I would never recommend the Infinity Runs. They literally make my feet hurt. If I want to run in a neutral shoe to give my feet a change of pace, I just use some Hoka Carbon shoes. Something about the design of the infinity runs just doesn't work for me. It may also have something to do with the upper though. Summer loves them and pretty much uses them for everything but she also isn't a big pronater like me.

To OP, try out powerstep insoles in whatever shoe you're using. I feel significantly better with them in. But have another pair of shoes in rotation as well.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may also want to check out the Saucony Endorphin Shift. It has a heel counter that molds forward into the arch that seems to act as more support in the arch.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another poster mentioned, without the flimsy insole, all running shoes are essentially flat inside. I have been using the old-school Spenco Walker-Runner insoles ( green-colored only, not the newer yellow ones) for almost 20 years, and they have served me well. Good arch support for my higher yet flexible arches and a bit more cushion for my trainers as well. Worth a shot and a small investment.

If you can't find the 'walker-runner', the 'cross trainer' is the same thing but with a slightly thicker forefoot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brings back old memories. Nike had one of the best fit innovations. Their shoes came with arch cookies with double sided tape. If you needed more arch support under your foot you would glue the cookies in place to the bottom of the insole. The thing with arch support for guys like you is that itā€™s super individual. Someone elseā€™s arch support may feel flat to you are may feel like itā€™s in the wrong place. A couple things to look at based on all of this:

1. Fit sleeve or simply a tongue that is gusseted - The upper can play a huge role in providing ā€œarchā€ support. This type of tongue construction does this.
2. Look for shoes built with a molded sock liner not an Ortholite sock liner - How to tell the difference. The Ortholite sock liner will look like a sponge with very tiny sponge like holes. A molded sock liner will be EVA and generally will have a shine to it. When you pull the sock liner out look at the shape. If it displays a good contour on the arch itā€™s a good bet it will feel better on your foot.
3. Back to the upper itself. The original adidas logo (3 stripes) were actually functional. The three stripes on the medial side wrapped your arch. You want to look for that type of function in your running shoe. The fit sleeve in the tongue is the start but you also want to look at the upper. If it has welded or stitched in support on the medial side around your arch itā€™s a good chance that will add to the arch support.
4. Your foot shape and the shoe fit - There are running shoe brands and then shoes within the brands that are simply going to match the shape of your foot better. Thatā€™s true for everyone but for your foot specifically because of your needs.
5. Find a different orthotic - If you donā€™t like the one you have find a different one. If you were in San Diego I could solve this for you very quickly with a footbed you would never run without.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to run in generic after market insoles with a higher arch. Then I found that On shoes had a standard insole with more arch than all shoes Iā€™be seen. I had several older pairs so I strategically place a metatarsal dome under the On insole to shape more of an arch to what I like and voila when the shoes wear out the insoles go in the next set of shoes whatever I enjoy the feel of running in.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe with High Arch [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
Brings back old memories. Nike had one of the best fit innovations. Their shoes came with arch cookies with double sided tape. If you needed more arch support under your foot you would glue the cookies in place to the bottom of the insole. The thing with arch support for guys like you is that itā€™s super individual. Someone elseā€™s arch support may feel flat to you are may feel like itā€™s in the wrong place. A couple things to look at based on all of this:

1. Fit sleeve or simply a tongue that is gusseted - The upper can play a huge role in providing ā€œarchā€ support. This type of tongue construction does this.
2. Look for shoes built with a molded sock liner not an Ortholite sock liner - How to tell the difference. The Ortholite sock liner will look like a sponge with very tiny sponge like holes. A molded sock liner will be EVA and generally will have a shine to it. When you pull the sock liner out look at the shape. If it displays a good contour on the arch itā€™s a good bet it will feel better on your foot.
3. Back to the upper itself. The original adidas logo (3 stripes) were actually functional. The three stripes on the medial side wrapped your arch. You want to look for that type of function in your running shoe. The fit sleeve in the tongue is the start but you also want to look at the upper. If it has welded or stitched in support on the medial side around your arch itā€™s a good chance that will add to the arch support.
4. Your foot shape and the shoe fit - There are running shoe brands and then shoes within the brands that are simply going to match the shape of your foot better. Thatā€™s true for everyone but for your foot specifically because of your needs.
5. Find a different orthotic - If you donā€™t like the one you have find a different one. If you were in San Diego I could solve this for you very quickly with a footbed you would never run without.

the main issue i have with custom footbeds is they make you foot ride just a bit higher then it causes my heal to lift

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hoka Clifton has a pretty high arch. Similar height/weight here as well and they last a long time for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe with High Arch [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this post. Trying to figure out this out myself as I think my lifelong high arches and never having any type of additional support for them is finally catching up to me.

I've always work neutral shoes but am wearing my first pair of stability shoes (Mizuno Inspire 17) but without an OTC orthotic in it.

In fact i didnt think I should add an orthotic to the stability shoe, not sure why. Thoughts?

Seems like people like superfeet or powersteps best as an OTC.

It seems like the long and short of this is that its all individual and I/we have to experiment a bunch to see what works best for us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally understand that. Thatā€™s why I said if you were in San Diego I could direct you to an insole that doesnā€™t do that.

The best insole Iā€™ve found for runners I help that is over the counter is Currex. Personally I use their cycling insole in all my cycling shoes. They definitely have an arch version that would work with your foot and most importantly they are set at the general industry standard for thickness that is used in running shoes. The only customization you would have to do is trim the insole to fit.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like someone else said, the Infinity React has a decent arch, more than any shoes I can remember wearing. I've tried a few different orthotics, they usually end up being too bulky and raise my heel more than I care for.

Maybe strengthen the muscles/tendons that support your arch would be a better long term solution?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too look for a bit more arch support in a neutral shoe. I donā€™t think the 1080ā€™s v10 have much arch support, and I personally donā€™t think their fly foam is all the ā€œcushionedā€. I havenā€™t ran in brooks in a few versions, but the arch support in the glycerins and ghosts have been the most substantial to me and I have been been bouncing around a lot trying to find the current ā€˜perfectā€™ shoe for me. I may go back to those. Another shoe I have been running in is the wave rider and find that to have somewhat more arch support.
Quote Reply