Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 155lbs wife is 120lbs(looking for both of us.). I would like to be <1k for each. So 2k budget at most.
Last edited by: lonniecdams: Feb 14, 21 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
. I would like to be <1k for each. So 2k budget at most.

I'd certainly look at a bulged disc for the QR. For the Canyon it's a few watts slower than the tactical across the yaw sweep. IIRC the tactical has a flat disc.
I think you'd be fine with the flat disc. My plasma more or less ties the tactical. I used a hed jet bulged disc on it w/ a PT hub. Probably could have gone seconds faster with a flat disc. I valued having a PT hub more than I valued having a flat disc in my plasma

I think the biggest issue you're going to run into is finding 2 disc wheels. It may be better to find a deep dish + disc cover.

I need to clean out my bike room um I mean office since the GF is moving in at the end of Q3. I have a hed jet w/PT hub and disc cover that will be hitting the market soon. LMK if you're interested although iirc you said you wanted a disc not a deep + cover. I got the wheel to bike race on last year and well no bike racing. Switching to disc brakes this year so offloading all my PTs.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 14, 21 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Due, thanks for the information. I did some research and it seems the bulge disc and a flat disc is a out 2-3 watts. Does that seem accurate. I really appreciate your offer and all of your insight. I have been taking your advice from other threads about running. Doing a lot of frequent shorter easier runs. I am about 10 weeks into it. I am logging more miles and have not had any sore days or fatigued days.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ll throw a data point out to the OP since Ron came into the conversation. I shot them an email, told them what Iā€™d like (to include graphics I saw on one of their eBay sales), and they were quick to respond and accommodate. We were going for budget and needed narrow for my wifeā€™s bike, so we bought the Ron4 and 80mm front. Shipping was reasonable, though it took almost a month (Poland to VA). The quality seems on par with any other disc Iā€™ve owned (Hed & Zipp). We really just wanted to try something different. I race the Hed Jet+; my wife the Ron, though Iā€™ve stolen it to try. I wouldnā€™t hesitate to buy from them again.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
There's a zipp disc in the classifieds

Yes there is šŸ˜ I wish somebody would buy the damn thing
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, tried helping you.

I'm still annoyed at myself for not getting the 7/9 and Di2. Didn't realize the good deal till too late.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate it. Some teams picked up that stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said the exact same thing about a house we just flipped, "wish somebody would buy the damn thing." ahhahhaha
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have owned and ridden two generations of RON disc - one from their every early first gen which was a 17mm width disc and heavy AF, one in their second gen 19mm wide line. I believe RON is now on the 3rd gen.

Their shipping, while a hassle, is backed by top notch customer service. I sent my original back to them for re-conversion to 11 speed but it got stuck in polish customs for a month before being returned to me- RON sent me a new disc wheel for my trouble. There were some language barriers and they are best contacted through facebook but I have no qualms buying again.

Their second gen wheel is a spoked alu wheel with a foam core and carbon fairing, in what looks to me like a lacing similar to campag g3 lacing. Whether they designed the rim specifically for g3 lacing, I have no idea. the hubs are standard taiwanese oem hubs of decent but not outstanding quality. The anodised brake track wears out to silver, as do most others. Construction quality is not the best, but acceptable at the price point and is not as good as HED but works fine. It is fairly light.

Performance wise- it works, its aero, it doesnt have a very loud disc sound if thats what you're after.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detail!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
I did some research and it seems the bulge disc and a flat disc is a out 2-3 watts. Does that seem accurate..........I have been taking your advice from other threads about running. Doing a lot of frequent shorter easier runs. I am about 10 weeks into it. I am logging more miles and have not had any sore days or fatigued days.

Glad to hear the running is coming along! nice work there.

Yeah 2-3w.

I know for some people 2-3w is a lot and for others it's not. To me that's the range where I'm not super worried one way or the other. ymmv on that.
The key thing is if you don't have a disc it can provide time reductions, no matter if budged or flat, that far exceed the reductions you'll get from a deep dish rear wheel as the yaw angle goes out while shifting the center of pressure rearwards and making the bike more stable.

When I evaluate stuff that I'm going to potentially buy I think about watts reduced, how it plays in the yaw angles I'll mostly see, cost, benefits, how does it compliment what else I've done & own. I often don't let good be the enemy of great and on other things I absolutely do look for The Product that works the best instead of the product that works really well

I've was given the data between a flat disc and a hed jet disc for my Scott Plasma 3. I know exactly how many watts I gave up by riding a PT disc wheel. To me it was worth it. Having a powertap disc wheel was more important than saving <X more watts anywhere on the yaw sweep.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Renn, if Frank is still in the business. First class service and a great disc.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
lonniecdams wrote:
I have never ridden a disc.
The other thing to think about is how aero is your frame. The fastest frames, with the best rear wheel shielding should typically be paired with a flat disc. The less aero frames getting a disc that is buldged like the HED disc is usually 2-3w faster.

Thanks for that insight. I had never really considered that to be a factor. And in that case, I'm cautiously dipping my toe in the disc market for my 2019 P2 this year. Could I trouble you for your opinion on if that would be a frame that would be best paired with a buldged disc or a flat disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote matate99
Thanks for that insight.............I'm cautiously dipping my toe in the disc market for my 2019 P2 this year. Could I trouble you for your opinion on if that would be a frame that would be best paired with a buldged disc or a flat disc?[/quote]
I'd probably go flat if I had my druthers. On the other hand if I came across a good deal on a bulged disc I'd not pass it up. I'd also never consider the flat vs bulged question again on your bike unless I had a bulged disc could sell it and buy a flat disc for a price that was very,very, very close.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I appreciate it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next