Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization
Quote | Reply
Zwift Racing by itself is the Wild Wild West. No moderating of final results for riders competing in the wrong classification, let alone height for weight verification. I wrote an Open Letter to Eric Min on this site earlier this year, and even though Rappstar replied and I could read between the lines of what he was saying, nothing has been done. Thankfully I discovered the WTRL - Zwift Racing League. The league consists of 15,000 riders total. Is free to join. And they actually care about fair and transparent eSport competition! Proof is they are spot-checking teams for weight and height verification.

Additionally, if a rider upgrades outside of category w/kg limits before the 4th race of the series, they are required to move up and race with another team in the correct category. Many people have commented in past threads that they don't take Zwift Racing too seriously and just enjoy it for a hard workout. Myself and many others though absolutely do take it serious. Without any other form of IRL racing going on, it satisfies a serious itch for me. And additionally, I LOVE bike racing, but I'm scared to death to ride in a real bike race due to crashing. Zwift gives me the thrill of real life bike racing, without the chance of breaking a collar bone... which would really stymie my swimming. It's fantastic to be able to race Triathlon long course in the warm seasons, and race Zwift in the winter in a league that has integrity.

THANK YOU WTRL - ZWIFT RACING LEAGUE for all that you do.

This is from the WRTRL Facebook page post yesterday.

WTRL
shared a
group
Yesterday at 7:54 AM ·

Weight & Height Verification
Tomorrow (Friday 12th) Selected Team Captains will receive an email requesting that the team they select for Race 6 submit Weight & Height verification. (height verification will be required once only).

Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Feb 12, 21 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
certainly sounds like they are doing much better and it seems far more regulated, for the better
zwift racing certainly has helped push me in my cycling--I, too, love it

I also share the concern about losing time due to possible injury from a bike crash IRL...well, that and I don't even own a road bike...ha

glad you are enjoying it! (and killing it too!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Martin and WTRL do a good job. There are 15,000 riders in this league, as you said, so they aren't eliminating cheating, but they are actively trying to run cleaner races. They are actively DQ'ing people for cheating, and not just weight doping, but sandbagging, micro-intervales, etc. Which is more than Zwift has ever done. It's far from perfect, but it's a welcome advance.

And, the ZRL has really been a lot of fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
micro-intervales

I'm relatively new to Zwift (just joined this year) and haven't done any races yet but what is this?
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I'm relatively new to Zwift (just joined this year) and haven't done any races yet but what is this?

I think he means exploiting the Zwift phenomena of sticky Watts. E.g. you can pedal super hard for a few seconds, then stop completely and Zwift keeps you going at the super high Watts for a couple of seconds. So you can sort of artificially inflate your power. Read the "Situation #3" here

I wouldn't call this cheating, though. Because it's just an artifact of Zwift's "physics." And though I put my Zwift race craft skill at something like "Cat 3" (nowhere near pro), I think it'd be really hard to effectively exploit this in a race. The physiological costs of super hard intervals, I think, exceed the benefits. Though it's possible others have figured out ways to exploit the phenomena better than others.
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheating, for those who can actually do it

it utilizes the 'sticky watts' and allows for continued watts to trick the game into holding prior watts for 3-5 seconds, due to the lag time between the action of shifting and changing cadence--not able to be done with all forms of PM's

it's also known as 'micro intervals' and also works in other ways; ie with cadence changes higher from a much bigger gear for instance...

https://zwiftinsider.com/sticky-watts/
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
logella wrote:

I think he means exploiting the Zwift phenomena of sticky Watts. E.g. you can pedal super hard for a few seconds, then stop completely and Zwift keeps you going at the super high Watts for a couple of seconds. So you can sort of artificially inflate your power. Read the "Situation #3" here

I wouldn't call this cheating, though. Because it's just an artifact of Zwift's "physics." And though I put my Zwift race craft skill at something like "Cat 3" (nowhere near pro), I think it'd be really hard to effectively exploit this in a race. The physiological costs of super hard intervals, I think, exceed the benefits. Though it's possible others have figured out ways to exploit the phenomena better than others.

Yes this. And it's considered cheating. It used to get you DQ'd pretty regularly before Zwift took over ZwiftPower. But since Zwift doesn't like DQ'ing people, it doesn't happen as much anymore. But it is resulting in DQ's by WTRL in the ZRL
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:

Yes this. And it's considered cheating. It used to get you DQ'd pretty regularly before Zwift took over ZwiftPower. But since Zwift doesn't like DQ'ing people, it doesn't happen as much anymore. But it is resulting in DQ's by WTRL in the ZRL

Huh, interesting, I didn't know it was that big of a deal. I will consider it cheating now, and not "race craft." (though I've never attempted it).
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I understand where you are coming from, given that it's just exploiting a mechanism that already exists in the game. But the "community" has deemed it cheating, so... But I agree it should not be used, I don't get as worked up about it though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were just having this conversation in the other Z thread, so to hear this....major kudos! What does WTRL mean (sorry if I missed something for that name)?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos and Thank You to WTRL Zwift Racing League Organization [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are the organization that runs the Zwift Racing League. They've been a major race organizer on Zwift for a couple years now. They are also the ones that run the TTT every Thursday on Zwift that was the most popular race series on Zwift, at least until the Zwift Racing League started. Though, now that you ask, I guess I don't really know what WTRL stands for. It's just always been WTRL, and those involved in Zwift racing know who that is. I even went to their website, and I couldn't find the answer to that.

Edit:
I guess it says it on their Facebook page. World Tactical Racing Leagues. Now I know :)
Last edited by: MRid: Feb 12, 21 19:20
Quote Reply