Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unusual thigh cramp on bike
Quote | Reply
Will try to keep this to the point :)
  • 2020 was biggest cycling year ever (at 46yo) - 16k+ km spread evenly across all 52 weeks
  • 2021 had started well up (approx 350-400k per week) until Saturday when I fell ill from dehydration related headache then been busy with work from Monday
  • Estimated FTP circa 315w. Decided I should do a ramp test and reset everything
  • Normally train early morning. Decided I'd do this test about 4:15pm. Summer here and although it's been warm, last few days more temperate
  • Computrainer set up indoors. No air-con but had a fan blowing on me. Had eaten and drank ok during day but would not say super hydrated.
  • Protocol programmed into Ergvideo was a 10min w/u to calibrate CT tyre. Then a Zwift style ramp test:

• 5 mins circa 180w
    • 1 min increments starting around 80w increasing by 20w at a time.
  • About 7min into CT's 10m calibration warmup I started feeling a tightness in my upper/outer left thigh. Never encountered any tightness here before. Tried rubbing it out as I kept spinning but it got worse. Unclipped that leg 1-2 times to stretch the left quad. Tried standing up etc. No real change it was still feeling tight and sore. FIgured I'd just see what happened.
  • Started main workout and in the initial 5min block also noted same muscle in right leg start doing the same. Really annoyed so kept proceeding with test.
  • Had to quit about 5 steps in - lucky if I had got to 150w, or less then 50% estimated FTP, so there was no real force in the pedals.
  • 5 hours later and I'm still hobbling around - unclear if thigh muscle or TFL area, sort of 45 degree rotated from top of thigh
  • I should be fresh after 5 days off. Not totally dehydrated and surely not so early into what to that point was an easy ride.
  • Though I had been sitting at a desk WFH all day, I've been sitting at a similar desk for similar hours for months upon months.
  • I have some coronary arterial build up (high percentile for age) but still light at around 5'11" and 74kg.
  • About the only time I could think of this area tightening up would be after a marathon or IM when legs have been smashed.

Any clues?
Quote Reply