Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the best answer would be based on replacement costs for a similar model bike, accessories (hydration system, etc.) and wheels.

About 5-6% of annual gross income.
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
Trying to convince the wife I'm not totally crazy, just curious what percentage of your income is the total of the bikes in your house.

My percentage is pretty small, but it doesn’t stop my wife (or kids, for that matter) from giving me hell when an N+1 shows up.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Feb 11, 21 15:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three bikes but two of them are over 30 years old. I have no idea how to asses their present value or replacement cost. Tri bike is only about 10 years old. If I were to go out and buy a new, equivalent of each, probably 1.5-2.5%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is hilarious...suffice to say we’re all heavily invested enough to keep such details away from anyone who’s not addicted to cycling / triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bike is a depreciating asset, but a great investment health wise.
I'm super-happy on a bike...just am. It's a mood-lifter like none other.

The ability to cycle in the city with the right gear (jackets, gloves etc) changed my outlook on life.

Having said that you could ask:

What % of current value of bikes vs cars (apples to apples) in the household.
For us that'd be around 10%

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
based on original purchase price, about 1.25%. Based on present value, probably 0.5%. The bikes we have are in the "see if this sticks" price category, but that may soon end. If we start adding in pedals and shoes and gear and tools and clothing and neo and the wife's peloton and zwift and and and, then I don't want to think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
~3% = retail cost/net household income

The retail cost was offset by nearly 50% since I sold old bikes but not including in the calculation.
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't like bikes as a % of income, as the income component is too variable to have a meaningful benchmark.

Agreed. Kind of like watts/kg - you can increase that ratio by losing weight or by increasing your watts.

I sold the tri bike and the cross bike, gave away the track bike and stripped down the original Cervelo Prodigy to keep the frame, so I'm down to 3 bikes (mnt, gravel and road) but added a Kickr Bike. I make decent money and live alone so I buy what I want. Replacement bike costs to current value of truck is about equal.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I needed to see how deep I've gotten in 3 years.... I'm going to do just my bikes. My wife has also started racing and she has a road and tri bike now too. However, I really like to search for deals. I've purchased all my bikes new but at significantly discounted pricing thanks to mybikeshop.com (I seriously love those guys). I buy most of my parts there too. I've never paid more than 70% MSRP So, total purchase price for Road, Tri, Gravel bike, HED wheels, 2nd set gravel 650b wheels will bring me to 5.5% based on 2020 AGI. Now, that doesn't include a lot of small parts or powertap pedals and all those consumables. I probably am sitting more at 7% when you including all of those little upgrades like GP 5k tires, rotor Q rings, tririg cups, and all that kind of stuff. The only thing that is kind of nerve racking is every bike I buy is getting a little more expensive every time (electronic shifting sounds pretty sweet right now).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'm happy to report I got the bike so it's all good. Just for reference I'm a bit under 10% between the road and tri bikes. Thank you to all the people who have high bike to income ratios, you helped my case.
Last edited by: duganator99: Feb 16, 21 18:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing.

Beats.

New Bike Day!

Enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't post so as not to harm your case.

A few years ago my OH approved what then was a 10% of salary bike purchase, but I couldn't justify to myself, ironically as I was so busy at work I couldn't find the time to ride it. So carried on with my $500 second hand 2002 cannondale that was lovingly known as Lazerus throughout the club for it's ability to be assumed to be written off in mechanicals/crashes but limped on. MTB has nearly bankrupt specialized as their deinintion of 'lifetime' frame warranty didn't account for what I have as a bike lifetime. Now on Frame #3.

And so in last 5 years my bike purchases total what is now equivalent to 3% of salary. For IM then I'm still on my 2011 Argon. Definitely eyeing up a new bike, but need to justify to me. For context, I'm in my late 40s, married no kids and both have senior professional roles/incomes.

However, the spin side of this is that I do spend on coaching, nutrition, massage, etc etc. Which ends up proving that you don't actually need all the gear to enjoy the sport, or even to have success. Equally I have zero issues with anyone, no matter what their level in spending big sums on bikes if that's what they want to do, nor turning up on a 1980s steel frame with downtube shifters.
Quote Reply

Prev Next