Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Garmin Cycle Computer - what should I buy?
Quote | Reply
I have an old Edge 500 - had it for years, works great and seems to be bomb proof. I received a Garmin Varia as a gift and the trusty 500 doesn't support it so I will need to get something newer. Does the Garmin130 fit the bill? Is there a reason in need to spend more and get the 520? Is there another model I should be looking at? I prefer smaller form factor and I don't want to pay price tag for something like the 1030.

Looking for feedback.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Cycle Computer - what should I buy? [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm happy with the 530. I got it used here in the classifieds. I also have the 1030. That is on my road bike and the 530 is on tri bike. I wouldn't want the 1030 on the tri. Too big.

Check the classifieds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend the 530, after having had the 520 and 520 Plus. The 530 doesn't cost much more and is considerably faster.

If you have Humana for your health insurance, you can get Garmin products for 30%-40% off. Sign up for their Go365 program and get the discount through that web site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exact same boat as you - still have my 500 and it still works great. but after getting turned around in a couple of races with minimally marked courses and wanting to do more exploratory rides in a new country, i've sprung for the 530.

so far so good - still small and simple but definitely an upgrade in a few important ways.

i'm keeping the 500 for backup, though.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both the 530 and 1030, and they are best of bests for their intended uses. I cannot speak to the 130, but that is a sweet little computer and would connect just fine to the Varia radar.

The 530 is a quantum jump up from the 520 Plus and I highly recommend it for the incremental cost over a 520 Plus. (The 520 may be cheaper, if you can still find them.) The only real downsides to the 130 are its monochrome screen and lack of mapping. The 130 lacks some other connected features and metrics features, but those are secondary to the pure riding experience.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Cycle Computer - what should I buy? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 1000 and the 1030, never thought either was too big? I like the 1030 for the screen size though; I use Best Bike Split for a lot of my events and I need to have a number of data screens available on that first/home screen without having to switch to a second screen. I like having at least 5, maybe 6 data screens, depending on what kind of a ride it is.

I don't know if I'll spring for the new 1030, I don't think I need it just yet, but who knows. I really like the 1030 though. Also, the way the bento box mounts your Garmin on the Scott Plasma 6, the Garmin 1030 is not too big at all, it literally lays right on top of the front of that bento box, perfectly natural fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The explore is great

I had the 500 which was great but the 530 had lots of great features

Then the explore is unbelievable value
Easy to read
10 data fields
Navigation
Super quick pairing and gps and galileo
Super good battery for keeping your screen on the whole ride and bright at night
Surprise route planner is fun, I discovered lots of new routes in an radius I trained for 15 years...wasn't expecting that...it's awesome

Check the review on dc rainmaker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 130 doesn't have normalised power, which I use for racing. Whilst it can mirror my watch, to show that then I went for the 530 last year when my 510 died. I actually find a few things frustrating with the 530 - pain to turn off, I get the back / enter buttons mixed up, I accidentally press the button as I'm holding it, but in actual use then it's a heck of a lot easier to read.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Cycle Computer - what should I buy? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
The explore is great

I had the 500 which was great but the 530 had lots of great features

Then the explore is unbelievable value
Easy to read
10 data fields
Navigation
Super quick pairing and gps and galileo
Super good battery for keeping your screen on the whole ride and bright at night
Surprise route planner is fun, I discovered lots of new routes in an radius I trained for 15 years...wasn't expecting that...it's awesome

Check the review on dc rainmaker

I have the 530 and like it. But the screen quality and navigation sequences should be so much better in 2020 when compared to navigation on a phone. Turns are much less clear when following on a 530 than 10 year old smart phones. Otherwise, I don't think the 530 is lacking anywhere though.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Cycle Computer - what should I buy? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah with 8 fields the 530 was sometimes hard to read , even tho at first didn't want to admit it

The 530 battery wasn't as good as the 500

I found that it ran out during a ride unless fully charged, but maybe I left the Bluetooth on. With the adventure you can easily do a few rides while the screen is fully lit up and navigation on.

The explore needs a xl mount to sit properly, which can be pricey. Like the k-edge xl but you can hang a light under your computer as well
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 10, 21 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you already have one, try and give the Fenix5/6 series a go as your only computer.

I've tried to cut down on cables and gadgets as much as possible and since I already had the 5+ I decided to stick with that as my standalone "bike computer". From what I gather the varia works with it too. All depends on how slimmed down you want your setup and how big of a display you think you can live with when cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I think the Wahoo Bolt is the closest thing to a contemporary version of the 500. If you're looking for compact, bullet proof, minimum BS, Varia enabled, and mapping isn't a priority for you, it's at least worth checking out.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Cycle Computer - what should I buy? [VSwim09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you mount it on the bars when biking or keep it on your wristtop?
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Cycle Computer - what should I buy? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Fenix 5S as my cycling (and everything else) computer. I'm old school and just wrap it around a piece of pipe insulation. Works great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the Explore doesn't support Power Meters. I see that DCR's review is from 2018 - has this changed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really pleased with my Garmin 830. The new software for the 530/830 is great - the climb feature is awesome when you input a route.
Quote Reply