Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift compliancy poll
Quote | Reply
As I read it, you are only run-compliant if you have a zwift compliant treadmill that talks to the zwift app and you are only bike compliant of your trainer is zwift compliant.

I ride on zwift on a dumb trainer using my power meter to talk to zwift and I run on zwift on a normal treadmill using the zwift foot pod to talk to zwift. This means that I am non-compliant on both bike and run?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
As I read it, you are only run-compliant if you have a zwift compliant treadmill that talks to the zwift app and you are only bike compliant of your trainer is zwift compliant.

I ride on zwift on a dumb trainer using my power meter to talk to zwift and I run on zwift on a normal treadmill using the zwift foot pod to talk to zwift. This means that I am non-compliant on both bike and run?

can you zwift using your bike trainer? if so, then the answer is Y. if you can zwift on your treadmill then you are run compliant. your correct answer would be B&R compliant. you may not have an optimized set up for bike and run, but if you can zwift you be good.

however, in the back of my mind are the zwift duathlons upcoming, and you would certainly be find with your treadmill set up, but i'm not sure if the bike set up would work. nevertheless, you are still bike/run compliant, notwithstanding the imprecise language on the poll.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 10, 21 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then I would need to change my answer on the run compliant question
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

in point of fact, for the purpose of the zwift duathlons, you don't even need a treadmill. if you have a data plan on your phone, and a footpod, and your phone keeps its data connection throughout the run, you can do the bike on your trainer, boot up zwift on your handheld, pair with your footpod and go out and run.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
in point of fact, for the purpose of the zwift duathlons, you don't even need a treadmill. if you have a data plan on your phone, and a footpod, and your phone keeps its data connection throughout the run, you can do the bike on your trainer, boot up zwift on your handheld, pair with your footpod and go out and run.

If that's the case, do you even need a trainer? Couldn't you pair Zwift on your phone to your power meter and then go out and ride around IRL and log it on Zwift?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

can you zwift using your bike trainer? if so, then the answer is Y. if you can zwift on your treadmill then you are run compliant. your correct answer would be B&R compliant. you may not have an optimized set up for bike and run, but if you can zwift you be good.

Depends on what league you're racing in. If you're racing in the Premium league, you have to use approved equipment, including a direct-drive smart trainer and a secondary on-bike power meter. But I don't think that was the point of your poll (which seems more about so-called "community" races)?

[Edited to add] For their Premium League racing, you can read their equipment rules in section 2.5 here.
Last edited by: RChung: Feb 10, 21 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jaretj wrote:

THANK YOU! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought of this.

I have every intention of doing this. I absolutely abhor running on the treadmill. I plan on doing the runs with my footpod outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Depends on what league you're racing in. If you're racing in the Premium league, you have to use approved equipment, including a direct-drive smart trainer and a secondary on-bike power meter. But I don't think that was the point of your poll (which seems more about so-called "community" races)?

[Edited to add] For their Premium League racing, you can read their equipment rules in section 2.5 here.

in this particular race series, i suspect you may need a direct drive trainer but i'm not sure. you do need to be zwiftpower registered. my understanding for the duathlons is that you do not need a secondary power measuring source, but you do need a HRM.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [TheMan232] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheMan232 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

If that's the case, do you even need a trainer? Couldn't you pair Zwift on your phone to your power meter and then go out and ride around IRL and log it on Zwift?

it depends on the requirements of zwiftpower. i don't remember what i was asked to do when i registered.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is anything like the other WTRL race series, one just needs some sort of power measure and HR for the bike. Any trainer that has a power measure or any on bike power meter.
For ZRL B category and lower they even allow no HR and dumb trainers with estimated power. The points are cut in half though.
I am not sure about the run but I doubt they will be very restrictive.
For the team time trial they allow estimated power and don't even have many more requirements for the Platinum League each week.
They only get restrictions going for As and the premier league in ZRL

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe us cellar-dwellers who use Bushidos can have a category to ourselves to keep up morale for this DU

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
in this particular race series, i suspect you may need a direct drive trainer but i'm not sure. you do need to be zwiftpower registered. my understanding for the duathlons is that you do not need a secondary power measuring source, but you do need a HRM.

I wonder what's behind this line in the Zwift Racing rules: "The Elite Turbo Muin (any generation) shall not be used in any race."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I wonder what's behind this line in the Zwift Racing rules: "The Elite Turbo Muin (any generation) shall not be used in any race."

wow. funny. don't know. i'm just now getting ready to put up a review of the current generation Elite Direto (the XR) and that trainer is spot on in accuracy. the Suito and the Turno would be the other direct drive smart trainers Elite makes. i have no experience with the Muin. the new Direto is a trainer with which i have no quarrel.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

Massive power inflation (stolen from this Trainerroad thread)

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's only one trainer that Zwift specifically bans by name. I wonder what was said in the Elite staff meeting right after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
There's only one trainer that Zwift specifically bans by name. I wonder what was said in the Elite staff meeting right after that.

I agree that there are other trainers with reasonably substantiated bias issues. And Zwift has no documented, standardized way (that I know of) of specifying what's "good enough." Or how they determine it. This hearkens back to our recent thread about standardized PM testing. (And I think they've entered into promotional/advertising deals with some manufacturers, which is a bit of conflict?)

That said, ~50% error is a lot of error.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RChung wrote:

I agree that there are other trainers with reasonably substantiated bias issues. And Zwift has no documented, standardized way (that I know of) of specifying what's "good enough." Or how they determine it. This hearkens back to our recent thread about standardized PM testing. (And I think they've entered into promotional/advertising deals with some manufacturers, which is a bit of conflict?)

That said, ~50% error is a lot of error.

Yeah, no doubt that unit had accuracy issues. However, let's be real - there's plenty of other trainers out there with horrible accuracy issues. And honestly, it'd be hard to find an Elite Turbo Muin anyway. Plus - one would hope Zwift's algorithms would catch it anyway.

Of course, the reality is there is no lab at Zwift that does any of this testing. There's a lab, but they don't actually test gear for this kind of stuff (and arguably, based on my dealings with these units - never test at all). The Zwift certified program is merely a marketing agreement, and is given if trainers simply meet a checklist of claims per the outside of the box. But nothing is actually tested. Because if it was tested per requirements, then we'd have seen cases like the KICKRv5/2020 being probably banned for power spiking until the most recent firmware a month or so ago.

(And I dare you to look at the dumpster fire of a page that is the Zwift supported trainers list. How does the H1 and H3 get a certified logo but the H2 doesn't? It's literally the exact same as the H1 with a different paint color. I'm not kidding - that was the only change. Or why does the NEO 1 and NEO 2T get certified but not the NEO 2? I could go on and on...)

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Of course, the reality is there is no lab at Zwift that does any of this testing. There's a lab, but they don't actually test gear for this kind of stuff (and arguably, based on my dealings with these units - never test at all).

Sad to hear this. We talked briefly about this on the Cyclingtips podcast.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift compliancy poll [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

(And I dare you to look at the dumpster fire of a page that is the Zwift supported trainers list.

pretty much lines up with the rest of the zwift dumpster fire experience. only reason i use it at all anymore is its the easiest way to get an estimated mileage figure for my indoor training.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I was definitely confused by the wording of the poll. But figured it out after reading the Elite Direto article. I'm only Zwift Bike compliant. No Tready here.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply