Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tall triathlete - gear information sharing [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'7" (race around 197-ish, currently 206). I would echo Emilio* that DeSoto wetsuits are the way to go. I think I have a size 6. It fits great. The nice think about buying the 2-piece is that I have both sleeved and sleeveless top, and can choose based on the race. So, essentially 2 wetsuits at a "buy one get the second at 50% off" cost.

*Also, I want to add that I love (!!!) that you [Emilio] come onto ST to offer advice about your company gear. That's honorable and awesome, and I appreciate it. Even though I don't also end up buying DeSoto stuff, that you come on here is one of the reasons that I give your gear a first look.

Picking a bike is harder. Bikes aren't getting any bigger. While I recently bought a Specialized Diverge (64cm), I am stuck with my existing P5-6 since I don't think I can fit into any new tri superbike. Most top-end tri bikes only come in a large. Example the new Cervelo bike only comes in 61cm for the lower-end bikes. New Scott Plasma 6 only comes in 58cm. Shiv only comes in L. Etc.

I have a 2XU one-piece racing kit. Fits great. I love it.

Roka Viper Elite speedsuit size: L/T. Love it, I wish there were more races so I could wear it.

I wear a lot of Asics L/T cold running pants.

Working from home, I'm currently wearing 2XU's compression pants (can't see it on Zoom calls.) They fit my long inseam nicely.

I have tried Desoto's ride shorts (the 100-mile and the no-padding shorts), but they are too tight in my thighs (personal preference), but the quality is great. I've worn them on a billion indoor rides and I should replace them but I really like Desoto stuff (see above); so, (even when I buy replacement gear) I'll keep wearing them until they tear, which will probably be another few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Tall triathlete - gear information sharing [IM-Yeti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'3" and about 170 lbs. Took me a long time to discover, but Rapha bib shorts are a great length, much longer than others I've tried from Capo, Castelli etc. Also Asics makes good winter running pants that are longer than what Nike does - discovered this after a tip from someone at a running shop.
Last edited by: tedtri: Feb 22, 21 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: Tall triathlete - gear information sharing [IM-Yeti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'5", 220.

Ditto on the DeSoto 2 piece, love it - I think I went XL on the pants and XXL on top...or L on pants, XL on top. DeSoto, for me, always runs small/tight/"big guy in a little coat". Had a couple of their 400 mile bibs and liked 'em but always felt snug in XL's and pulled on my shoulders.

Ditto on the Blackbibs - I went with the Large Tall bibs, love 'em. Looking at getting their skinsuit as well for local TT's and maybe even tri's depending how it feels.

I have yet to find a tri-suit that agrees with me. I had an Endura D2Zero that I actually really loved and felt like the fit was good - tight but not clamping down on my shoulders like most. It was a major f'n chore to get on and off - forget about leaving the top down during the swim then putting it on in T1, it would have been impossible. Taking it off after being all sweated up pretty much involved dislocating a shoulder. If they made the zipper just a few inches longer it would have been total game changer. The reason I say I had 'em is because eventually I won the fight getting them on one day...and destroyed 'em.
Last edited by: dgf: Feb 23, 21 21:38
Quote Reply
Re: Tall triathlete - gear information sharing [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'm 6'3" and I can't imagine anything will beat The Black Bibs Tall for price/fit/quality. Inseam is maybe a tiny bit longer on me than I would prefer but it's worth it for not feeling like the straps are yanking down and chafing.

I'd say it's definitely worth giving the Desoto T1 a try. I swam in a Xterra Vengence Pro and then an old B70 reaction, and while the B70 fit much better than the Xterra, the T1 blows them both out of the water. Absolutely zero restriction in the shoulders when reaching above. There's enough overlap in the bibjohn and pullover that even being 2 inches taller than me you shouldn't have issues. I run a size 4 pullover and a size 5 bibjohn @ 6'3" ~170lbs. Emilio will absolutely work with you on finding the correct size and their return policy is great, definitely worth at least seeing how you like it.

I've never had much of a problem with tri suits. I find they all stretch enough to not affect my motion, but once again, at 6'5" I could believe that starts to matter. I've tried Zoot, Wattie, and now Velotec and they've all been comfortable and good quality.

Just for reference, can you say what size you wear for the Velotec suit? I'm considering a new suit, but would really like to avoid dealing with shipping returns internationally if it doesn't fit.

For everyone else, I can report on how the following things fit at 6'4" and 180-185ish, "T. Rex" build i.e. vestigial arms that only exist to connect my hands to the rest of my body.

Tall sizes:
  • Aerotech unpadded fleece tights, size medium tall: Use these as running tights, wonderful fit. These would be perfect if they had a small zip pocket for keys, but I'm often wearing a jacket with pockets at the same time.
  • Aerotech bibs, medium tall: excellent.
  • Aerotech thermal windstopper tights, size large tall: These really fit more like trim warmup pants. Great for warming up, pre/post workout, or for really cold days.
  • Cima Coppi centerline jacket, large: They don't advertise it heavily on the site, but you can ask for extra length in the body and sleeves, which I did (+ 2" for each). This is a loose/casual fit, and frankly the styling and fit is such that I use it a lot as a normal light jacket in casual life, too. For a cycling-only piece, I might go down to a medium.
  • Minus 33 wool mid layer, medium tall: excellent, great layering for cold days or as a standalone for merely chilly weather.
  • Nike long sleeve shirts, medium tall: should have gotten more of these sooner.
  • Nike Phenom elite pants, large tall: comfortable fit, I may try the medium tall next time, as the waist is looser than I'd like.
  • Roka back zip sleeveless suit in medium tall: excellent fit, pain to get zipped up without help.

Normal sizes:

• Pearl Izumi Octane race suit, size L: length is excellent, but wrinkles at the hip when on the bike and sleeves are downright loose. Would work much better if I had another 10 pounds of arm muscles.
  • Pearl Izumi Amfib Tights, size L: perfect.
  • Gore Shakedry R7 trail jacket, size Medium: I got this after they redid the sizing this winter and moved everything down after complaints about them fitting too small. Six months ago, it would have been a Large. Best raingear ever, made a long day at 40F in the rain downright pleasant. It's not quite as nice for pulling double duty on the bike because of the arm cut, but I can't justify another spendy rain jacket yet.
  • Voler race cut jerseys/bibs/skinsuits, size L: team gear for the cycling club, generally fine.
  • Castelli, jackets and tights in size L: also good, but wish the sleeves/legs were an inch or two longer.

Quote Reply

Prev Next