Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Above all.

Find something that tastes quite appealing and darn near "makes" you want to eat it or drink it.

Life is too darn short to consume vile tasting substances, just to keep your motor running on all cylinders. I regret buying copious amounts of those soul-sucking and mouth drying fig-newton cookies. And even worse - Perpetum . And since I bought the stuff I HAD to consume it.

If you can LOOK FORWARD to your next gulp of ___________ instead of "God, not more of this crap," you will more likely consume it in larger quantities, and more frequently.

.... the same principal also applies to most training sessions.

If long runs and bikes rides do not appeal to you - well, there is always polo, or luge.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew you were going to be in here! Just wanted to say, I tried your tips (sugar+gatorade) and it's amazing how well it works. So far I've played with up to 110g carbs per hour, but will keep experimenting with more and more. I'm excited to see how good brick runs feel when I come off my rides actually well-fuelled.

I will say that 40g gatorade+70g sugar is pretty sweet-tasting, but not as excessive as I was expecting.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew you were going to be in here! Just wanted to say, I tried your tips (sugar+gatorade) and it's amazing how well it works. So far I've played with up to 110g carbs per hour, but will keep experimenting with more and more. I'm excited to see how good brick runs feel when I come off my rides actually well-fueled.

I will say that 40g gatorade+70g sugar is pretty sweet-tasting, but not as excessive as I was expecting.

Fantastic. And, likewise. Sodium citrate makes the sweetness more tolerable yet, in my personal flavor experience.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Seems you and I are following each other around on the internet ;)
Indeed! See you on that other forum. ;)

Hydrosloth wrote:
Find something that tastes quite appealing and darn near "makes" you want to eat it or drink it.

Great advice. I was pleasantly surprised that a 60:40 to 90:10 sugar:Gatorate mixture plus some sodium citrate had this effect for me. I have also loved Heed, Skratch, and Tailwind, but am far too cheap for that!

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only person who likes Orange SIS hydration powder?

I noticed the SIS gels are mostly water and maltodextrin and started mixing my own. I've been flavoring it with whatever I have on hand maple syrup, gatorade powder, sodastream flavor syrups (cherry cola is amazing). I'm liking that I can play around with the water content depending on how warm the day is, and add in electrolytes or caffiene as needed. It's also nice having ~400cals in a single flask.

I'm not too thrilled with the gel flasks available. I'd prefer a larger volume so I can fit a large amount of calories while keeping it fairly liquid. I have a feeling once the summer hits I'll end up just making a fat bottle of the stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:
Seems you and I are following each other around on the internet ;)

Indeed! See you on that other forum. ;)

Hydrosloth wrote:

Great advice. I was pleasantly surprised that a 60:40 to 90:10 sugar:Gatorate mixture plus some sodium citrate had this effect for me. I have also loved Heed, Skratch, and Tailwind, but am far too cheap for that!

When you say a mixture of 60:40 table sugar to regular Gatorade powder, plus sodium citrate (how much?), you're just mixing those ratios of powder into a big container before adding a scoop or two of the mixture to 16-24oz. of water? I've always bought my nutrition like Mr. Moneybags but I'm getting tired of the recurring high monthly Amazon bills.

Looking at your website, I'd like to be able to put some ratios to this formula so I can make a batch and try it out: "Use one large scoop regular gatorade, rest of carbs from sugar (~1.2 cups), 1/2 tsp each of table salt and sodium citrate, one caffeine pill. Cost = ~$0.67"
Last edited by: Th4ddy: Feb 11, 21 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
quinnserfa wrote:
Sounds great but I don't think one turkey and avocado sandwich would last me during a 4 hour bike ride, I could pack multiple but I only have 3 main pockets. I cant make them too large or they wouldn't fit in my pockets. What then???

You don't need to bring any nutrition on a four hour bike ride.

“Need” isn’t the standard. We can all go days without eating. We also don’t “need” bikes. But here we are.

I don’t understand this mentality Jim. Years ago, most of us barely drank any fluids, let alone electrolytes or calories when exercising. I, for one, am FAR better off with what I know/use in 2020 than I was in 1990. If you aren’t, maybe you should try some new products. I can’t imagine biking 4 hours, burning 2500 or more calories in a 90+ temp Texas summer day and not taking in any nutrition. If that is what you still do, I have no doubt your performance is suffering as a result.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 11, 21 11:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next