Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WaveCel and Neck Pain
Quote | Reply
I battled aero related neck paid awhile back. It recently resurfaced. I think the culprit is my new helmet, a Bontrager Specter featuring the new WaveCel design. It turns out it is considerably heavier than my prior helmet, the Kask Protone. The Protone is less than 10 oz while the Bontrager is over 14. The Bontrager is also substantially thicker, which requires me to lift my head more to get the same field of view. I do believe WaveCel is safer than traditional helmets, so I'm reluctant to give it up. Anyone else noticed this about WaveCel helmets?
Quote Reply
Re: WaveCel and Neck Pain [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a believer in Wavecell also, but I use an LG P09 helmet for the weight savings. My prior aero helmet was a Giro Aerohead but the weight gave me neck pain after around 2 hours. The LG is considerably lighter.

In your case, carrying an extra 1/4 pound is quite a bit. Tough call - comfort vs potential additional safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not specifically about the wavecell. But I have some neck problems from a damaged disc in it.
I changed to a Met Manta aero road helmet for lightness and also for me better for seeing down the road without having to crane my neck as much vs what I had before - as you say some helmets are not so 'thick'.
I also swapped to rimless sunglasses which helped reduce how much I had to lift my neck to see where I was going too.
Are you using glasses with no rim at the top? Or something quite beefy like the Jawbone ? Even from a fairly thin half frame at the top to no frame made notable difference for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I battled aero related neck paid awhile back. It recently resurfaced. I think the culprit is my new helmet, a Bontrager Specter featuring the new WaveCel design. It turns out it is considerably heavier than my prior helmet, the Kask Protone. The Protone is less than 10 oz while the Bontrager is over 14. The Bontrager is also substantially thicker, which requires me to lift my head more to get the same field of view. I do believe WaveCel is safer than traditional helmets, so I'm reluctant to give it up. Anyone else noticed this about WaveCel helmets?
Neck pain? Join the class action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had one and sold it for that reason. Heavy as anything. Their velocis and ballista are great though.
The worst I ever encountered was a Lazer bullet when it comes to road helmets. That was a brick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll keep the WaveCel and wear it for training. It will be like lifting weights for my neck. When I wear a lighter helmet for race day, it will be light as a feather...
Quote Reply
Re: WaveCel and Neck Pain [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually wear no glasses at all to improve visibility but I'm now considering the Oakley EV Zero.
Quote Reply