Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
It seems to me like the US is finally embracing the crit scene, instead of almost apologizing for it like they used to.

It’s not European style racing. So what, it’s something that is uniquely American, so embrace it. Honestly, some of the pro crits in the US seem like they’d be a blast to go and watch.

Some of the BC Superweek races are absolutely epic to be a fan at, if you ever get the chance. I'd love to see it explode like Jim is mentioning in the US.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I like burn's rules of "being ahead" but I would then say that scenario ain't applying here, that the crashed rider was ahead of the "wife" (who got the DQ and inside line). She's ahead by what 1/3rd of a wheel so if you as a rider can't feel/sense/know someone almost directly beside you in that tight of a situation, you don't deserve to be racing either. So I would simply say his theory wouldn't apply here. Or shall I say in the end I'm not finding much DQ fault in this particular crash. The "wife" didn't imo make a dangerous move at all, she didn't come from 3 bike lengths down and "crash dive" the inside corner. She and the crashed rider came into this corner essentially beside each other, and the 2 got pinched. If that is an automatic DQ result, we probaly shouldnt have crit racing anymore should we? I bet that type of bumping occurs many times in crits, some are able to ride it out, others result in crash like this. But DQ offense? I'm not seeing the dangrous infraction here.

(I'm asking because I used to race bikes a lot but havent in a long time and dont coach a ton of cyclists so I'm not as familiar with the crit scene these days.....)

Being ahead of someone doesn't give the right to take any kind of deviant line you want, especially when you are aren't actually ahead (having a 1/2 bike lead is not being ahead, its being next to someone). To the extent you are in a turn in a crit, my understanding(or at least how I ride) is unless you are completely clear of the field (in which case, yes you can take any line you can hold) you are obligated to "hold your line" meaning maintain your turning radius through the turn, so to the extent everyone does the same we all come out of the turn without crashing into each other. So based on those pictures it doesn't seem line the woman on the inside was to blame, but like anything its hard to tell for sure (you'd really need an aerial view to be certain who might have come off their line, because in fairness it was a pretty tight spot). For that crash to occur either one of them slid out (meaning they couldn't hold their line) or one of them drifted off their line, but you couldn't say a priori the inside rider was doing anything dangerous by trying to take that turn in that position.
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His line about women on the team was awesome, a lot of people missed the nuance. And that he took an unexpected windfall and invested it in more riders instead of putting in his bank account speaks volumes. That tracksuit style isn’t for me but I admire everything else he’s done and continues to do. .
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman,

Here is your man Riley (he's now 6'1") with Lolo :-)!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Feb 9, 21 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Slowman,

Here is your man Riley (he's now 6'1") with Lolo :-)!

wow! now, were that me, in that pic, with lolo, that would have blessed/scarred me for life. i just thought she was (is) the cat's meow, as my grandfather might have said.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
One of my favorite postings from Justin over the last few months was when they announced the women they'd signed to Legion. Someone asked, "Are you starting a women's team?" Justin replied, "No, they're on the team." I remember punching my fist in the air thinking "F*ck yeah!"
Nice.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt! Fortunately, Cindy doesn't disagree with you/me/us:

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
So, not to jump out in front of things, but the entertainment industry, for better or worse, has taken interest in the Williams, Legion, and crit racing. I think you're about to see cycling events presented in ways never thought possible. They (Hollywood) want to create EVENTS - downtown in major cities, huge parties with world famous dj's, live coverage of the race with every inch of the course covered, on-board cameras, drones...everything. It's not for us old folks...they don't, and shouldn't, want to market to us. None of this master's racing crap before the main event. No, they want younger folks, and they're already getting them. Justin and Cory are going to shake shit up, and I can't wait to see it.

One of my favorite postings from Justin over the last few months was when they announced the women they'd signed to Legion. Someone asked, "Are you starting a women's team?" Justin replied, "No, they're on the team." I remember punching my fist in the air thinking "F*ck yeah!"

If you're reading this and don't know about the Williams, do yourself a favor and listen to the Rich Roll podcast with Justin as a guest. I can only dream my daughter brings home as fine a man as him some day. During the interview, he says something like, "I'm not asking anyone to give me anything. I'm going to go take it by working my ass off."

Sounds awesome. Hope they keep USAC away.

Speaking of the health of a welcoming sport, here’s the USAC cyclocross schedule for 2020.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Sounds awesome. Hope they keep USAC away.

Speaking of the health of a welcoming sport, here’s the USAC cyclocross schedule for 2020.

E

That got a good laugh out of me. That very well may be the 2021 schedule too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Point being that bike racing is not snuggly & cuddly like triathlon...

Point being, bike racing is dead and has been.

E

Really?

I thought bike racing was very much alive and well in the United States. Maybe its your west coast scene that I'm thinking of. Bike racing is certainly alive and well in South America and here in Europe.

If bike racing were alive and well in the US, people would be doing it and Americans would be winning international races. You can't have a bike racing culture without a cycling culture, like in Europe for example. We do everything possible to keep kids off of bikes here, even so-called cycling governing bodies. It's madness.

E

You live there and I don't, but as an outsider you seem to have the strongest female cyclist in the world and plenty of amazing young talent that has huge respect from the rest of the world. Maybe things are dead where you are at, but something is going on to produce all of the amazing talent that ends up making significant contributions to pro racing. In the past few years there are time trial champions, multiple grand tour stage winners, classics and monument hopefuls.

That is fucking astounding considering the primary sports that attract your best athletes. When I lived in the states the cycling community was incredibly fun and active.
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Point being that bike racing is not snuggly & cuddly like triathlon...

Point being, bike racing is dead and has been.

E

Really?

I thought bike racing was very much alive and well in the United States. Maybe its your west coast scene that I'm thinking of. Bike racing is certainly alive and well in South America and here in Europe.

If bike racing were alive and well in the US, people would be doing it and Americans would be winning international races. You can't have a bike racing culture without a cycling culture, like in Europe for example. We do everything possible to keep kids off of bikes here, even so-called cycling governing bodies. It's madness.

E

You live there and I don't, but as an outsider you seem to have the strongest female cyclist in the world and plenty of amazing young talent that has huge respect from the rest of the world. Maybe things are dead where you are at, but something is going on to produce all of the amazing talent that ends up making significant contributions to pro racing. In the past few years there are time trial champions, multiple grand tour stage winners, classics and monument hopefuls.

That is fucking astounding considering the primary sports that attract your best athletes. When I lived in the states the cycling community was incredibly fun and active.

the talent produces the talent in America, not the culture, community, or system. That *is* our system I guess.

We are not a cycling nation, and our governing bodies do their damndest to keep it that way.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric you keep harping on the national governing bodies are doing a good job to "keeping" it that way. But shouldn't you be suggesting that in order to change it has way more to do with a grass roots organic level than some "governing body". I mean isn't that essentially what is being shown here. That we have pockets of world class cycling areas that are producing world class talent. Maybe we should go ask why X region who's probaly biker friendly why Y region isn't so bike friendly how it's able to make the culture to produce the talent.

Idk, I would think it's a bit irrelevant what the national governing bodies are doing and much more what YOU are doing in your community to making the cycling culture better.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
From the vid it looks like #82 took herself out by trying to take the corner as if your wife wasn't right on her inside; not sure what she was thinking taking that line.

to me that video shows the crash was entirely #82's fault - swerved into the rider on the inside, either out of control (best case) or trying to be a bully and force the rider on the inside into the kerb. Grim.

I've never been tough enough to attempt a bike race.. admire those who can tough it out through the first couple years to acceptance, but not for me..

thanks lightheir for the Lolo news, that is very impressive..
Last edited by: doug in co: Feb 11, 21 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents is that USA Cycling should invest a LOT more time/money into talent transfer than they do. All the current pipeline development funding is going to juniors. Elite track and field athletes, who don't mind suffering, make phenomenal cyclists.

In Canada right now, almost our whole team of women who are on the national Track Cycling Team in the Sprint Program, did not come from cycling! The were pointed in the direction by a program Called the RBC Training Ground Program - https://www.rbctrainingground.ca/ It's a discovery program but points athletes to a sport that they may have a better chance at being Internationally competitive.

Kelsey Mitchell - https://en.wikipedia.org/...ey_Mitchell_(cyclist) or https://www.instagram.com/kelsey.mitchell9/?hl=en - three years ago was a very good soccer player, but not even in the women's National Team Program. She went through the RBC Training Ground, and some folks from Cycling Canada, saw the results and said - you should check out track cycling. Within 2 years she had broken the World Record for the flying 200m on the track, and won numerous medals in International Competition in the Sprint, Keirin, and the Team Sprint. Unfortunately the Pandemic and the postponement of the Olympic Games, and changes to the Track Cycling World Cup, really set her really big debut back by more than a year! On her current trajectory, she will be a medalist at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships or the Olympic Games!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lolo Jones - 1095 watts in a wattbike sprint! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine that ;)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply

Prev Next