Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front TT wheel question
Quote | Reply
Which would be faster for TTing (44-48kph avg) between:

-Zipp 404 FC clincher w/ Vittoria Corsa Speed 23mm (latex tube) OR
-Zipp 808 FC tubular w/ Vittoria Corsa SC 23mm (latex)

I ran a quick rolling test on my rollers, with the tubular pumped up but not actually glued on yet, and the clinchers ran a bit faster. I know a good glue job will close some of that rolling resistance gap.

Looking for input to help me decide whether to glue up the Corsa SC tubular, pick up a new Corsa Speed tubular, or maybe even just sell the 808 and run the 404 clincher (I realize that I can't REALLY go wrong with whatever choice i go with here)
Quote Reply
Re: Front TT wheel question [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go with whatever tire type the rear is. Just makes race logistics slightly easier to not have to be prepared to repair both a tubular and a clincher.

Probably marginal actual speed differences.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 5, 21 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: Front TT wheel question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'd go with whatever tire type the rear is. Just makes race logistics slightly easier to not have to be prepared to repair both a tubular and a clincher.

Probably marginal actual speed differences.

TT is flat and done. Not triathlon. Whatever is ready for rave day is pretty much it.

Go with deeper if you can handle it. IF the tub is latex also it should be close to the clincher. Lots of tubs are butyl though.
Quote Reply
Re: Front TT wheel question [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

TT is flat and done. Not triathlon.

I'm a TTer. I've gotten flats warming up, recon rides, etc.. You still need to deal with flats. It's a bit easier when it's all one system.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 5, 21 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: Front TT wheel question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I'm a TTer. I've gotten flats warming up, recon rides, etc.. You still need to deal with flats. It's a bit easier when it's all one system.

I didnt think of that.

But I bring all my wheels with me. My HED 6+ front, Flo 90 rear, HED disc, and HED 9+ front. One each. So I could flat two in warmup and still roll the race. No matter the type tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Front TT wheel question [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
trail wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I didnt think of that.

But I bring all my wheels with me. My HED 6+ front, Flo 90 rear, HED disc, and HED 9+ front. One each. So I could flat two in warmup and still roll the race. No matter the type tire.

Yeah, for super A races, I bring a full backup wheelset, which is the way to go. You don't want the stress of tires changes when you're watching the start clock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider that the body weight is on the rear wheel, whatever the seat position is, thus cross winds move the front wheel away from planned path. The taller the rim and the larger the overall seal effect (e.g. with large carbon spokes instead of traditional thin metal threads), the larger the instability and slicing through the wind becomes difficult or unthinkable. If the race is short (e.g. 10 miles), even with strong cross winds, you may accept the instability. On a century ride cross winds become a problem, sometime unexpected. 404 has shallower rim relatively to 808.
With any wind, the rear disc is manageable because the bike is pushed to the ground by the body weight. I regretted doing a full distance Ironman with a front HED 3D+, because of strong cross winds, but I never regretted 808 rear, as I never felt the wind blowing myself away, as for example when passed by a large truck on any condition. I saw that riders with disc on the strong cross winds day didn't have problems of rear instability, while everybody with deep front wheels had sudden instability, adding fatigue and with higher than usual DNF.
Obviously adding mock weight to the front part of the bike to keep the front wheel down is not part of the optimal solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Front TT wheel question [andreasqq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For TT, prioritise aero on the front and rolling resistance in the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glue a Corsa Speed (23) on the 808FC, that will be the fastest option as long as you glue it on nicely!

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Front TT wheel question [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I kinda expected that would be the fastest option, but was hoping someone would chime in saying the SC tubular was testing just as fast (can’t seem to find any data on it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that's right, we haven't published our tubular data yet but a tubular Corsa Speed is basically the same speed as the clincher/tubeless one as long as you've glued it on straight etc.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply