Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hide mine under a rock nearby. Never an issue. As long as I remember which rock I put it under. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Onstar

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Son of friend just recently went for a run around an urban lake. Had his key when he got back but his old car, wallet and cell phone were all gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just after the turnaround on a 10k run, I stepped on what I figured was a small rock or twig. Got back to the car and, yes, no key and an extra hole in my pocket.
Backtracked in the by now fading light looking the whole way until reached the "twig" spot and there it was. It must have perfectly timed the landing to hit the ground just as my foot touched down.

I had a Ford pickup for a while with the access keypad on the door so I could leave the keys stashed inside. That was very convenient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use to worry about that all the time. years ago i installed a smart lock, 4 digit code and iam in. the best thing i ever did, works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found my keys eventually poke a whole through running shorts (stiches / fabric are not usually that strong). So I just wrap the keys in a small zipped plastic bag now (2x2 inch or larger for car keys). The plastic bag is enough to dull the "edges" of the keys and prevent them from cutting through the seams. If a hole does develop, the zipped bag will also prevent the key from falling through.

I don't run with my phone, but you also just keep your keys and phone in a belt back.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Feb 5, 21 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the expensive variety. $115 replacement (which could have been worse actually!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never key, but I lost my stryd footpod on a path. As I wasn't monitoring it on long run got back and realised the power had dropped out. Worked out the rough time elapsed and figured out about a 200m section where it had come off. Went back on bike to look
Couldn't find it though. Why they did they make them black? Didn't rate it enough to buy another one. Maybe someone picked it up.

Would be gutting to go back and look for your keys if someone had done the honourable thing and picked them up to hand in to lost property somewhere!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went for a ride and I didn't carry a house key. Would just use the wireless keypad to open the garage door or wife would be home. Well after coming back from a ride the garage door would open and wife was at work. Then I notice it wasn't fully closed on 1 side. Turned out one of the garage door spring system cables snapped. So after somehow being able to lift that corner enough to crawl underneath I was able to get inside the house. That and was also able to help the get open the garage door fully open manually so I can get the car out to get some new steel cable to fix it.

That's when I discovered my car was leaking oil as I back out of the garage. Gave up trying to replace that cable myself and called in a pro since I had to now wait until the next day to have my car towed to the shop to be fixed.

Did try to call the wife to come home and let me in but she was at work and didn't check her phone for a few hours.

After that I always carry a key with me. I have one of those cell phone pouches with extra pockets that I put a spare house key in along with my ID and medical insurance card. That stays in my jersey pocket when I ride.

Running I do carry my cell (after an incident of straining my ankle badly and not having one...and nobody on the trail while I limped home). That has a spot for a house key so I also carry then. Its annoying to have that bulky armband and a giant cell phone there but the alternative went through before was much worse than any minor inconvenience it causes.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Feb 5, 21 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My worst lost key story:

On vacation at my parents 10+ hour drive from home.
Went on a long trail run. Got back to car and no key in my handheld water bottle holder.
Searched for hours - targeting places where I stopped/slowed for a gel since key was in same pocket.

Didn't have backup key.

Had to have minivan towed to Toyota dealership - from lake/rural area to smallish town. $$$$
Meanwhile had friend fedex the spare set to me.

Toyota changed the program so the old key didn't work (thank god we figured that out!).
Oh and we figured that out on a Saturday after the dealer closed.

Had to delay trip home to go to dealership Monday AM to sort out the whole key situation.

I have intentonally blocked how much this all cost me...

AND there is a clip in my water bottle hand carrier for you to clip you key into.
We ALWAYS remember to bring 2 sets of keys on vacation now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [2lazy2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lost my "dumb" car key on the trail Mtb biking. No way was I ever going to find it. So my ride turned into a long day as my phone was in the car. I rode the 35 miles home.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another key story - Running past Chip Wilson's prison in Kitsilano, stop for a drink at the fountain and I "seen" these keys laying in the rain. Mazda remote, building keys, the works.
Getting soaked there, so I grab them and run around a few blocks, looking for a Mazda "3". I figure it's a 3 because this dude obviously has no taste in coffee, McCafe frequent flyer stickers on the fob. Also the remote looks circa 2003 ish.

I find several Mazda 3's, but none work.
I'll post a FOUND ad on Craigslist.
Back at the apt w/laptop writing my ad and YO... I see the dude's LOST ad looking for the keys. Get this - the ad is 4 days old!

So I text him and say I am looking for a Mazda 3 to fit these keys I just found :)
After some who/what/when/thanks - I pin them on the outdoor community board for early morning pickup.

He texts me and says "Got 'em, I left an envelope for you there". Well I'm gone for a few days so it'll have to wait.
I get back and I'll check out that envelope. Which is at Yew and Cornwall (super busy intersection) $50 in cash!!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next