Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit for cold water
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a cold water wetsuit. It will be used in an outdoor, unheated chlorine pool during the cold months. Air temps will be in the low 40s. I don't know how cold the water gets.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for brands or models? Also, I plan to buy it in the spring for training during winter 2021+ because I figure prices will be lower on cold water suits in the spring. Let me know if that assumption is wrong.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations or opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for cold water [Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased the Thermal Reaction by Blue Seventy (it's the only thermal model they made last summer). I have the Helix for regular open water swimming. Both are great wetsuits. The thermal worked well for me in open water temps of high 50sF, low 60sF in late September and first week of October. It says it's suitable for temps as low as 48F. I live in northern New England (around 50 miles from the Canadian border) and it gets chilly quickly in the fall. I probably could have swam a couple more weeks but that's hard core and I don't have the body fat for super cold water! I also purchased the Blue Seventy thermal swim cap and booties and also got the swim gloves. All very helpful. Make sure the booties are snug or they will fill up with water and feel like heavy wet socks.

We have an Endless Pool coming in September 2021 but I'll get outside in May once the water is in the 50sF.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lesson I learned in the past weeks of open cold water swimming: your regular wetusuit will be fine, if you wear a surf rashguard and a trisuit underneath. most problems will come from the head, face and feet. for this reason I recommend to equip yourself with a scuba hood, neoprene boots and silicone earplugs
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Feb 3, 21 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for cold water [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful, thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for cold water [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree that the Blueseventy thermal reaction is a good bet (or any of their thermal wetsuits).

FYI, Blueseventy is actually doing a 50% off sale on their 2020 wetsuits right now, since they are coming out with some new models. Also, you can get 20% off anything else on their website with the code "HowellMasters" (though the two discounts can't be combined, so if you were getting a wetsuit + accessories, you'd need to do two separate orders).

Cheers,
Ginger

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquaman Cell Gold is a very warm wetsuit and fits 'me' perfect.

I highly recommend the Aquaman stuff, but only if it fits you.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huub aegis thermal is really good (in terms of warmth) and cheaper than the blueseventy.

The odd zip is a PITA, especially if you swim alone (please don't ever do this in water cold enough to be in a thermal suit), but otherwise you get used to it. But the durability of the huub is questionable. I say questionable as the normal huubs do somehow eat themselves whilst hanging in the wardrobe, albeit my thermal that had about half a dozen uses last winter was still looking ok when put into storage.

As mentioned, a neoprene skullcap and in my case a one piece trisuit under a normal suit makes a big difference. The thermal obviously doens't help with the key areas of the forehead or feet which for me is the critical bit. The body and the shock of cold when the water comes through the zip and hits the base of your back is more a comfort thing which is helped by the thermal suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that if you regularly swim in chlorinated water, even if you rinse religiously after swims, your wetsuit will start degrading in several months. Even something as simple as the wetsuit floaty pants jammers, used in a chlorine pool, have never laster me more than 4-6 months before disintegrating. It's why I've stoped using expensive neoprene products, in chlorine.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to jump in here. First while the Thermal Reaction is certainly our warmest suit we find people typically have more issues with their hands, feet and ears than their core. Unless the water is below 55 degrees your normal wetsuit with swim socks, gloves and a thermal skull cap should do it.
Second I spoke to Yamamoto about the chlorine issue and they strongly recommend soaking any neoprene product used in chlorinated water in fresh water for an hour or more after each chlorinated swim. So basically swim in the pool, throw your suit in a full bathtub bathtub for awhile, then hang it to dry. Same thing goes for salt water. The fact that chlorine is hard on neoprene is another reason to see if a regular "non thermal" wetsuit will work because you can spend less money.
Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.
John Duquette
blueseventy
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for cold water [blueseventyjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy smokes.

MASSIVE thanks to everyone. Lots to think about here. Thank you everyone.

This puts me in a challenging position given the degradation of neoprene in chlorine. (Also makes me wonder about the impact of chlorine on ME!)

Thank you again, everyone.
Quote Reply