Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Endless pool: what accessories to get?
Quote | Reply
We are purchasing an Endless Pool and looking for advice on which accessories/add-ons to get. We are getting a performance model, 15 x 10 ft and 54 inch deep (basically largest model offered for the single motor). We are building a pool room to enclose this due our climate to maximize year round usage. We will also likely have a separate hot tub in the pool room adjacent to the endless pool.

The goal of the pool is swim training for me, general fitness for my wife and family play time for kids (10 yo & 7 yo). My 10 yo son also claims he will use for swim training as he did swim team for 5+ year, but will see...

For endless pool owners, with the above goals of training & family leisure, what accessories do you recommend? I am definitely getting the fit@home & remote pool monitoring, but unsure of others. Below are some options that I am not certain about. Please add any other recommendations.
-mirrors (there are 2 different options listed: floor mirror & underwater swim mirror)
-corner step or other interior steps
-risers (benches)
-UV sanitizer vs EZ Watercare system
-hydrotherapy jets
-lights (none vs 2 vs 4, anyone with leaking issues?)
-running pad

Any other recommendations regarding the endless pool or building a pool room are appreciated. Our plan are to build a sunroom type of addition onto the back of our house with 3 walls of sliding glass doors. We are going to either completely or partially recess the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool: what accessories to get? [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We also have the performance model and If you haven't included it, I recommend the retractable cover, it not only retains the heat but keeps the moisture/humidity down in the room. We use a foldable step stool for getting in and out of the pool as it takes up much less space. We have the mirrors and it is a nice feature to have, the FIt@home app is a must, and I highly recommend getting an ipad with a waterproof case to use and you can mount it to the coping. We use it and load our workouts onto it and have it where it is visible to see your progression and timing of sets.

There's an endless pool owners Facebook group you should join, lots of good information.
Last edited by: tri3ba: Feb 2, 21 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool: what accessories to get? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Just joined the facebook group. Plan to get the cover for certain. Looking forward to being able to swim at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cover for sure.

Step inside as 54 is deep.

Gas heater since you are building the room from scratch.

Pace clock.

Fit at home app sucks. Potential to be great, but isn’t. Never use mine.

Use as a play pool I’m unsure, the water level is pretty high, I can see lots of water splashing out. YMMV

Install a hose bib close to add water as it evaporates and kids splash it out.

Think about dehumidifier as well as fan venting in your build.

Floor drain close to aid in emptying as well as emergency.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

( side note, being you are spending some real money and what the goals are, I’d look hard at a pool with the fast lane in it as opposed to an endless pool in its pure form)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We ordered a High Performance Endless pool in the beginning of January 2021 and it should arrive sometime in September 2021. Very excited even if we have to wait a while. When is your pool coming? Where do you live?

We are both triathletes (no kids). I'm currently training for my 5th Ironman. My husband swam in college so he's quite faster than me in the water. We live 22 miles from the pool where we currently swim with a small, safe masters group. But it's just too far and roads get bad in the mornings during winter especially just after 5am when we leave the house to swim. We live in rural Vermont.

For accessories we are getting the retractable cover (pricy but sounds like a must), the fit@home app, both mirrors, and UV sanitizer. We are going to recess it half in the ground. I like the look with half underground. Deciding whether it will be stone or wood or both on the outsides and top. We are going to have a small addition from the walk-out basement built for the pool since we have a log house and my husband doesn't want it in the basement. He wanted to put it in one of our post and beam barns but no way am I walking out to and from the barn to swim when it's -15F degrees temps in the winter.

Can't wait! We have wanted an Endless Pool for years! Last March we moved to more rural and very remote location. We will be the first off-gridders with an Endless Pool. (we have a beefy system which can support it).

I'll be following the thread!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool: what accessories to get? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses above. Great suggestions. We just ordered our EP last week so likely won't be getting till end of year, but that does give us time to build the pool room.

We live just north of Seattle. So while not very cold, there are lots of days in the 40s with rain in the winter. We are building pool inside to maximize usage of it year round.
Last edited by: Dnowak: Feb 6, 21 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rough experience with our recent endless pool receipt and install. Patience rules the day many things will go wrong. I bought fit at home app and never use it. You have to change the mode of the pool itself if you want to go back and forth. My entire family uses the pool. We got the elite model as my son proves that swimming is stupid as he is 15 and can swim at that :51 per hundred pace. Looks like all of you are putting it indoors, just be cautious, it throws off a ton of water once you go to 1:20 pace or faster. Meaning water kind of flies out the back. We are in Virginia and use it year round. It gets pretty cold here. Electric heat as gas was too complicated. UV sanitizer is worthless in my opinion. My wife has gotten awesome at pool chemistry. Takes daily maintenance. We were thinking about putting it in the garage but so happy we put it outside as the water is just everywhere. I am almost at the point I’d say I would do it again but it was a project from hell with so many missing parts and severe delays. Mirrors are a must and I bought hydraulic treadmill it is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool: what accessories to get? [ACCRUN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I am prepared for delays and hassles from what I have heard from others as well. Ultimately, at some point I will have it installed and up & running and we will enjoy it, whenever that will be.

Regrading the splashing, how are out the back and to the side does it occur? I will make sure to keep enough space around it and drainage for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current itself at speeds of say 1:20 and faster shoots water out the back to an extent. Go faster and it will shoot more out. Sides is not as big of a deal and is just from standard kicking and arm strokes. We were shocked to see how much water comes out the back at higher current speeds as we were on the fence between a indoors and outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I understand correctly, you installed the pool yourself? We are thinking of hiring a contractor to do it. It's very pricey but wondering if it's worth it. I'm sure it will still be a big lesson in patience. I'm mentally prepared for this to be a challenging project but I also know it will be worth it to be able to stay home and swim during the winters. This morning was a rough drive to the pool. It's amazing how only 2 inches of snow can make the roads such a mess and then you get the stupid drivers, even here in VT where we are used to snow. Ugh. And the two young idiots not wanting to wear a mask in the locker room this morning. (I don't like people lol) I just want to stay home.

Bummed to hear the fit@home app seems to useless. I thought that the speeds would change automatically while swimming if the workout changed. So what exactly does it do then?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use the Fit@home app and love it. My wife and I are using the 80/20 plan to train for Ironman Tulsa and download each workout into it, I use my phone and she uses an ipad both with waterproof cases because we have different paces. I set my phone on the edge of the pool and watch the timer. Works great and automatically adjusts the current for the set/interval. Just added plexiglass to the sides, mounted them to the coping to keep the water in. I'm a splasher.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool: what accessories to get? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
We use the Fit@home app and love it. My wife and I are using the 80/20 plan to train for Ironman Tulsa and download each workout into it, I use my phone and she uses an ipad both with waterproof cases because we have different paces. I set my phone on the edge of the pool and watch the timer. Works great and automatically adjusts the current for the set/interval. Just added plexiglass to the sides, mounted them to the coping to keep the water in. I'm a splasher.

Oh cool! That's what I thought. My husband plans on getting an ipad for it.

Plexiglass is a great idea!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there, no we used an endless pool certified installer and he became my best friend. I loved him so much we spent 6 months together!!! Getting an endless pool installed is no trivial task, a ton of work to coordinate and I essentially PM’d it. Delays from endless and then we were short shipped missing equipment which introduced another 6 week delay. So I would say estimate 3 months for the install and if things go great it will be done in 1 month. The install itself takes 3 days but again patience rules the day. I have 5 family members. Fastest is my son who can swim hard efforts at :51. My daughter is next and she can swim at 1:10 or so pace. I am tied with my 10 year old and we are more like 1:25 to 1:30 pace for workouts. My wife is just getting started which is awesome. Point being very wide range in swimmers’ ability, age, etc. Once you set up the fit at home you are actually changing the mode of the pool, meaning the remotes to swim slower or faster are essentially disabled. Some days I only feel like swimming 30 minutes with no structure. I definitely wouldn’t put my 10 year old on a workout using fit at home. My wife definitely not either. My son and daughter maybe but it is normally their second swim of the day. With all that said I thought it would be a great idea to use fit at home but given above I doubt I will ever use it. Most of us are triathletes that don’t have the patience to deal with a 5 minute or so delay to switch on and off modes. Maybe this is just me!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG sounds like a nightmare getting it set up. Ugh! But glad you got through it and sounds like everyone is getting a lot of use out of it!

We are in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont so I'm worried an installer will be traveling from afar. I was naively thinking it would take a week to put together and get up and running lol. Oh boy!

Well hopefully things will go as smoothly as they can. You would think they would learn and ship everything you need. But living remotely has taught us that human incompetence comes in all shapes and forms and then add the pandemic to the mix. On a positive note, I know it will be worth it not to drive next winter to a pool!! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure to get ANT+ or Bluetooth fins and hand paddles, that way you can swim on Zwift. I know, the current simulation isn’t very realistic but you can always just swim in erg mode. The races are really formulaic. Everyone just goes hard for the first 500 yards, and then it’s a bunch sprint at the end. I like the social swims though, just blowing bubbles with your buddies is awesome. There is a fair amount of controversy when people height dope. If you put in the wrong wingspan, the simulation breaks down.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool: what accessories to get? [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eblackadder wrote:
Make sure to get ANT+ or Bluetooth fins and hand paddles, that way you can swim on Zwift. I know, the current simulation isn’t very realistic but you can always just swim in erg mode. The races are really formulaic. Everyone just goes hard for the first 500 yards, and then it’s a bunch sprint at the end. I like the social swims though, just blowing bubbles with your buddies is awesome. There is a fair amount of controversy when people height dope. If you put in the wrong wingspan, the simulation breaks down.

:-)

Even if you were full on serious, I'm not really a strava or zwift person. But I can see the value of both (my husband used to do zwift on the trainer). I'm more of a lone wolf.

Would be interesting if you could somehow zwift in the Endless Pool lol. Get a big waterproof screen :-)

Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Feb 9, 21 14:25
Quote Reply