Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
G-man wrote:
Timex Ironman. I don't think they have changed since the 1980s. Still get them for like $40.

Those really cheap ones don't do pace and distance, as OP would like

If you know your routes, and know your mile markers, you can just do your own math

Works for me, anyway

Great but that wasn't the question they asked.

The $100 Timex Ironman GPS is probably the cheapest (besides Ali junk) that does provide that information.

I used to map my routes and do the math when I started but the extra $60 is worth having GPS
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you know your routes, and know your mile markers, you can just do your own math."

Long rides/runs and house numbers on county roads do make long division an enjoyable distraction.

While I *do* recommend the analog life, I also recommend the old TomTom watches. Refurbished under $100. I've had one for 4 years. The "Runner" or "Multisport" are what I've used. (Edited to balance levity with data.)
Last edited by: apmoss: Feb 2, 21 5:29
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used that original Vivo Active for a long time while training for IM races. It's one of the most slender and light weight GPS watches that I can think of. Battery life isn't great but it was a great option. I think I'd vote for the Coros Pace 2 which has an amazing battery and a very compelling $199 price. (wait, we're not voting?)

I've tested most of the watches on the market and that Pace 2 is an impressive little device for the money. I've used it for a month and the thing that bugged me the most was the swimming activity wasn't as full featured as you get on the Garmin watches.

I still love my 945 but I'm with you on not needing music, garmin pay, suggested workouts, etc.

YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [mlegrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've still got my VivoActive HR. HR, GPS, swim lap counter. Used to wear it every day, now it's just my workout watch.

See your bike fit. https://bikefitr.appspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polar Vantage M. Great quality, design and functionality. Easy to read while training. Nice and durable.

Another Vote for the Polar Vantage M here. It has all the basics and has them all in a simple easy to use interface. The Polar Flow app can go as deep into the training as you like or just on a few key details that you want to track.

I would pair it with the H10 Chest Strap for Best-In-Class HR monitoring.

I think Ray Maker called the Polar Vantage M - the best of the mid priced units on the market.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [TriMeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to sound judgy or prying. But is there a reason (other than price) you DON'T want all those options? Is it important to you which brand you use?

As people have said there's TONS of used options out there. And probably some really cheap older tech. I tried the Polar Vantage M and it was "ok" but wouldn't count my swim laps so I went with the 935 and it buries it. Flow was great though.

Anyway, 935 has a lot of those extra features you don't want but is still pretty recent and is a great watch. Can easily find it on Amazon for about $300 and you keep in the Garminverse which I prefer to do due to years and years of data being all in one place. You can get a 735xt for just over $200 as well. And these are new. Assume much cheaper used.

As others have said, there's Coros, the Polar VM, the new Wahoo, and I'm sure a couple others no one has mentioned.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by JustTooFarr [ In reply to ]
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coros Pace 2 is probably your best bet if you want to go new, with triathlon mode, killer battery life and a very good price.

Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been training with a Coros Pace 2 since Christmas. It replaced the mini-fridge sized Garmin 910 I had been using, and I chose it because I don't need maps, music, contactless payments, etc., but did want a triathlon specific watch. I would recommend that you take a look at the thorough review on DC Rainmaker.

I have been satisfied with it, though most of my training has been indoors due to winter. The battery life is incredible--like weeks. I initially got the nylon band, which I liked, but found that the velcro-style fastener would consistently come undone during fast swimming, so I switched to the silicone band. It counts pool laps much more accurately than my old Garmin. I have found that the wrist based HR is unreliable, but I gather that is a problem for most (all?) watches.

Bottom line: t's a good deal for $200 USD.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Second the vote for a 910 (what i have <$100 used), a 920 (what i bought for my dad =$120 used), or 935 (what i might get in a few years when the 910 dies)

I'm all about last gen flagship tech. I'm still using a Galaxy s6 i bought for $150...

That being said sometimes mid or low end, but current tech can be better.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [KWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a new/used Garmin 920XT

Awesome watch and just the functionality you want/need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeToo wrote:
I'm in the market for a new Multi-sport watch and they all seem to cost a small fortune now and integrate all sorts of crap that I just don't want all those bells and whistles.

I DON'T want it to:
Play Music
Take calls
Receive Texts
Estimate my Vo2 Max
Tell me if I am training hard enough
Etc. etc.

I simply want something that can record my data and tell me pace, power, distance etc. and not cost $500+
Does this even still exist in a quality form?

So, you want a smart watch that can track distance (GPS) and connect to powermeter (bluetooth), but nothing more. Sounds like any smart watch would do and you'd just have to turn off/delete features you don't want. Plenty of options from Garmin, Suunoto, etc. under $500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the Amazefit BIP U Pro. About $59 from amazon. GPS sports watch, looks like an Apple Watch. Does running, cycling, swimming, pool and open water. No true triathlon function. Auto downloads to Strava via the app.

Cheap.
Simple.
Has smart watch features also.

Surprisingly good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from the Garmin Forerunner 910xt to the Garmin Forerunner 735xt last fall because the 910xt just would not sync anymore and I tried everything to get it to upload data.

I like the 735xt - it is lighter and I use it just like I did the 910xt but it syncs directly to my phone by bluetooth. Still reads my original Quarq Riken power meter and my HR strap that use Ant+! I don't have the notifications for calls or texts set up on it or anything fancy. Just swim/bike/run with transitions! And it is a lot thinner than the 910xt so I guess that is a bonus.

Just my $.02!
Quote Reply

Prev Next