Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, need a recommendation on the best thermal cycling jacket. Oh, looking for colors that aren't black. Maybe a neon type color if there's a good brand with one.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check Pactimo.com

They have a nice orange and yellow color called manic.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pactimo is plenty good. Lot of others are too. In particular, a medium weight long sleeve merino wool baselayer (or a Duofold thermal underwear, or Craft, etc.,) and windbreaker jacket can't be beat for an effective riding garment in cooler weather. And it the pair doesn't need to cost a lot. But if fashion and performance are both important, the Pactimo is top tier.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got thermal tight bib tights from Wattie Ink that are pretty amazing. However, I did not purchase their jacket because it's black. I just can't deal with being 100% black riding my bicycle. Maybe I have some random fear here. But since getting hit in 2018 I just want loud colors.

*I do have a thermal cycling jacket, it's just some cheap Chinese brand that was on amazon.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jan 30, 21 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As already mentioned Pactimo is good, also have a look at Voler.
They both have some nice colors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's cold? As one persons cold weather is another's summer. Now, where I am then in the depth of winter then I ride with a castelli gabba (blue with high viz yellow accents for visibility) , arm warmers and a merino under shirt, possibly a showerproof gillet if it's raining. That's good down to about 3 degrees, a full clear seethrough rain jacket if wetter / colder but I don't really get anything that's consistently sub zero here, just short stretches of low points with tree shade for a KM or two on a long ride.

This contrasts with previous winter commuting where it would be -5C or even lower (-14degrees was my coldest commute).

But regardless, key for me is layers, as in the cold you absolutely have to be able to change the warmth on the fly as you go up/down hills. DOn't try to get a jacket that does it all, think about each layer being good for a range of another 5-10 degrees lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^ This. I have a couple different outerwear options for wind (Velocio Soft Shell) or rain (Gabba) and add base layers as conditions get worse. Especially anything with merino wool. Problem with some thermal jackets is they don’t breath, which then leads to being even colder if moisture can’t escape.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In PHX area. So 25-45F generally. Was between 40-45F with a ton of cold wind on my ride this morning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5+hrs Gravelride yesterday, started in -4C/25F, ended in 0C/32F ( very little wind: 5-6mph):
- mesh base layer
- GripGrab thermal base layer
- Assos MilleGT winter jacket (mine is red/black, but it's available in orange or hi-viz yellow)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [jth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slightly off topic but what did you use for gloves?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Castelli Espresso GT plus a silk liner

Feet: my summer MTB shoes with Castelli Diluvio 2 Allroad covers and homemade wool socks from the mother-in-law :)

Legs: old Alé winter bibs W/o chamois, and my summer bibs (this was close to being too warm)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [jth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as others have said, what is cold, 40-45 F is moderate for where I live, cold is -5 to -20 F.. or colder. Layering is the key as also mentioned. I have various kit, but my go to are a base layer with long sleeves, a fall type long sleeve cycling jersey, Castelli, a wind breaker thermal vest from Louis Garneau, a XC ski jersey from Saloman, and to tope it off a Pearl Izumi rain jacket that is the most amazing item I have every worn, it is breathable and red/ orange and is an amazing piece of kit other than the non functional hood. So with these layers I am comfy and warm at any temp down to -20 with wind. Road riding in the range you are talking about is the worst because you sweat climbing and freeze descending... that never never land of between 40- 50 deg F (5-10 deg C)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't going to post but your point about between temps is why I like pit zips on a jacket. They aren't perfect but I like adaptability built in rather than taking bits on and off. So my winter jacket is the Endura Windchill. It's a softshell that's quite reasonably priced and durable. Not the latest fabrics but lasted years and style-wise works for me on road or mtb. To the OPs requirement they do one with Hi-Viz shoulders and arms
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been really happy with the Rapha Winter Jersey (they call it a jersey but it's more of a jacket). It's kind of like a softshell but with a merino-based fabric that is warm but breathes really well. Windproof panels in the front with big zip vents down the sides. Also plenty of pocket space which is a priority for me on cold rides. No super bright colors but they do have it in white and all the colors have a ton of reflective trim. I've worn it on road rides down into the mid-20'sF with a good base layer. A little pricey but it's been worth it in IMO.

https://www.rapha.cc/...y/product/WJY09XXBLU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Castelli Perfetto is amazing.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
In PHX area. So 25-45F generally. Was between 40-45F with a ton of cold wind on my ride this morning.

I ride in such moderately cold temps all the time.

I found a thin wind proof vest over a long sleeve jersey is the best. Jackets get too warm on hard efforts at 45-50, even the wind stopper ones.

I actually am using a cheap Amazon 20 dollar vest right now and it’s totally perfect for those temps. I’ll probably get a nicer one soon just for looks but it’s good down to 38
If you are riding in high aerobic and up.

I also use a fleece cycling beanie at these temps which improves things a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to say Gore Thermal jackets. I no longer ride in the cold, but when I did I would ride down to about 0 degrees F. Road bike I go down into the teens F. I found Gore had incredible jackets although it had to be into the very low 30's before I would wear it as it would just get too hot. At most I would wear a wicking layer and a thin thermal shirt (craft) and I kept toasty......hands and feet were always the more difficult issue to keep warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations NEEDED-Thermal/Cold Weather cycling jacket [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idk man, I was just coldish. What I had worked for the most part, generally. Now I might feel different if I was 20lbs lighter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add a thicker base layer OR ride harder!

A medium weight base layer with vest works better than a jacket at these temps IMO. Costs a lot less too!

I tried several jackets this winter including the perfetton and Assos
But returned them all since this combo worked better especially if doing hard intervals in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have bought a handful of winter jackets the last few years to try and make peace with winter, but the Pearl Izumi Pro Insulated Jacket has been my favorite and breathes better than most. I rode outside Wednesday in 17F with just a thicker thermal baselayer and that jacket. A little more underneath or a basic shell over the top would certainly make it suitable for even colder, but mid teens is the limit my feet and face can handle.

It's a great color too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really sure if this is an update. But I tried on my thermal base layer and that was clutch. It fit, definitely thought it wouldn't because I'd gained a good bit of weight. Got some ideas for the next ride if it's the same as today.

Quote Reply