Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Outside mag: Tracking cycling deaths for 2020
Quote | Reply
https://www.outsideonline.com/2420196/what-we-learned-tracking-cycling-deaths-year

Some interesting stats here. Point of the story I think is that roads are not getting safer for cycling.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Outside mag: Tracking cycling deaths for 2020 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But its also saying they are not getting more dangerous either which is the prevailing mis perception. I would love to see how many of these were at night and/or involved alcohol on the part of the rider. In other studies those percentages are quite high. Time of day is also important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of that stuff is just analysis error.
In fact, given the huge increase in cycling activity due to COVID, and the huge number of new inexperienced cyclists on the roads, the whole picture is actually looking up.

Many teens and elderly...hmm. They didn't look at it from that angle. Wonder why?
Also woud be nice to see who was considered at fault. I know, doesn't matter for the tragic outcome, but would be very interesting to see if 'drivers' are really that blood-thirsty?

Good to see there was only on death in San Francisco proper, which is phenomenally low.
And SoCal looks relatively good too, compared to last years....
Last edited by: windschatten: Jan 29, 21 22:30
Quote Reply
Re: Outside mag: Tracking cycling deaths for 2020 [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really the article is just missing a tun. I think when we read about cycling deaths we think right away its about people like us, lycra-clad and out on training rides.

In reality many of the deaths involve a DWI guy riding a huffy through some suburban sprawl hell at 2AM while totally drunk.

I am not saying they don't deserve safe riding but the circumstances are totally different.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jan 30, 21 4:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn...all these non-binary cyclists safely riding around Montana safe as hell.
Last edited by: FasterTwitch: Jan 30, 21 5:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“ More cyclists on the road seemed to correlate with more people on bikes being killed by drivers.”

Ya think?
Quote Reply
Re: Outside mag: Tracking cycling deaths for 2020 [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Really the article is just missing a tun. I think when we read about cycling deaths we think right away its about people like us, lycra-clad and out on training rides.

In reality many of the deaths involve a DWI guy riding a huffy through some suburban sprawl hell at 2AM while totally drunk.

I am not saying they don't deserve safe riding but the circumstances are totally different.

I was going to call you out for making assumptions about the stats, but you are not wrong. NHTSA says about 20% of cycling fatalities in 2018 involved BAC over .08 g/deciliter. Drivers were only over the limit 15% of the time.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812884

Outside Online isn't exactly the journal Nature, so I take it for what it is. They do talk about how road design contributes to negative cyclist safety, so I like that thread.

Quote Reply