Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Joel Filliol to Aus [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High performance coaching in Tri these days is a bit strange. From the successes of some of the big international training groups, there's some good evidence for some athletes thriving in an environment surrounded by the best athletes from around the world, and as long as the coaches are aligned with the national programs needs, things work out. Conversely, national team coaches are paid for their support of national athletes. While in many of these cases, the best support for these athletes might be surrounding them with other strong athletes from around the world, there will always be naysayers from the national team for whom they coach about the level of attention given to their athletes, vs. the others. For developing programs trying to make a breakthrough in the sport, having strong national coaching is really key to help bring people onto the world stage, but for many other countries, they might be better served with a different model...

At the junior/U23 level, having national coaches to help athletes break into the senior ranks is huge, and a great investment for federations to develop their olympic pathway. At the elite level, rather than having national team coaches, they might be better in converting those funds as subsidies to their elite athletes to go pursue coaching in one of the many elite squads around the world that might be better to bring the performance out of them. The federations might be better place with high performance coordinators who rather than dictating the training of the athletes, work with the coaches of their athletes to coordinate race planning and scheduling. Obviously this is easy to say from the outside looking in, but given the tension between the high performance squad model and the national team model, this type of approach might be better for the athletes. That might also help with some of the challenges seen in certain federations, where there are some politics that come into play between athletes training on national squads vs international squads that sometimes show up as suspicious selections for events (and non-selections).
Quote Reply
Re: Joel Filliol to Aus [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
Emma Carney is one of those throwing shade on Twitter

"Finally the Triathlon Australia’s head
Coach that had no regard or priority for Australian athletes and their success has gone."

https://twitter.com/.../1689501248285003776

https://twitter.com/.../1689623270965063681

On the face of it, it is hard to see how being hear coach of a nation is compatible with still coaching athletes from other nations.

Bit of propaganda in those pictures, Katie and Geens shared the top step in 2019, 2 years before Joel was appointed in 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Joel Filliol to Aus [Joel Filliol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Putting various federation politics aside, where are you looking at being based now? Or where are you looking at developing your squad. I think in the past you were in Tuscon?

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Joel Filliol to Aus [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
r0bh wrote:
Emma Carney is one of those throwing shade on Twitter

"Finally the Triathlon Australia’s head
Coach that had no regard or priority for Australian athletes and their success has gone."

https://twitter.com/.../1689501248285003776

https://twitter.com/.../1689623270965063681

On the face of it, it is hard to see how being hear coach of a nation is compatible with still coaching athletes from other nations.

Bit of propaganda in those pictures, Katie and Geens shared the top step in 2019, 2 years before Joel was appointed in 2021.

tri247 picked the photos not Emma.
Quote Reply
Re: Joel Filliol to Aus [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Putting various federation politics aside, where are you looking at being based now? Or where are you looking at developing your squad. I think in the past you were in Tuscon?

Over the last years the squad has been based in Girona Spain, planning for that to continue, along with camps outside when it makes sense.

Have done a few training camps in Tucson over the years, but not for about 20 years now!

Joel

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Joel Filliol to Aus [Joel Filliol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joel Filliol wrote:
Had to dig up my old login here :-) Plenty of insightful comments already here that captured some aspects of the environment and TA culture from others' experiences and observations over time. These elements are a kind of immovable object, and no one person can change a culture that has been in place for many years, and ultimately demonstrated little desire for meaningful change, or learning from elsewhere - this was a particular issue for me with endless comments about me not being Australian, as if the problems there were not just versions of the same ones I've seen all over the world. Only a complete strip down and rebuild from the ground up could help shed the baggage of the past. I'm happy to share my reflections over time, however it's always tricky to avoid the perception of airing of dirty laundry in this kind of situation, even if they are simply my own experiences. Suffice to say what I sold when recruited to come to Australia was very different to how I found the situation when I arrived. Initially the move was family driven, to find a stable situation where I could work and coach from 'home', and I was willing to ignore some of the warning signs that became very clear once I arrived on the ground post Tokyo. I would have preferred to have the option to stay through to finish the cycle to Paris 2024, but it was not my choice, and with yet another restructure my role was eliminated just a week out from the test event.

On the positive, back to work in a no BS and fully performance focused environment, bandwidth for new projects, and a good excuse to bring back the podcast.

Joel

Hi Joel,
Thank you for taking the time to post your reflections and experience, even if I imagine it is the highly filtered view, of what things were like on the ground here in Australia.
On behalf of a large number of the TA members I am sorry that you were faced with the issues that you did and I hope the move to here and subsequent problems were not too traumatic overall for both you and your family. It is disappointing for us as members (as much as it is likely not surprising) to hear what you went through and that we have lost a high quality coach with a proven track record.
We all look forward to following the successes of your squad members in the years to come.
All the best for the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Joel Filliol to Aus [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! Your take of the trends, the changes of the sport would be interesting. But can you bring the sassy, surly Sousa? The years have taken away his filter and your conversations leading up to an Olympic year would be entertaining listens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next