Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka X2
Quote | Reply
Considering HOKA X2. Anyone train and race in them? I focus on 70.3 and Full. Not a super fast runner but my feet and legs to be happier with lighter shoes with less support.

My question is how many miles do you get on them?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka X2 [Mike J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran ~ .5 miles in them, well ran about .3 walked back home. Too firm for me. Sold them. I know they are supposed to be softer than the original x's but imo meh.

Have a women's sz 9 fs in the classifieds as well BNIB. The shoe tester wore them around the house and was all F this shoe. (to be fair we get a lot of shoes, I think I have about a dozen in the current pile, several still BNIB not even opened).

Now I also know a few people that love them. Your best bet is to go to your local running shop and try them against several other shoes in that same general category. You may like the Hoka Rincon or Machs or Brooks Hyperion Tempo (Love this shoe), Brooks Launch or Levitate (although this shoe is a bit heavy imo), Saucony Kinvara, NB1080 (the sz 9 woman above LOVES this shoe -she orders 3pr at a time), Adidas Boston, 361 Sensation 4

The best way to find a pair of shoes you LOVE is hit up the local running shop. If you're ever in Tucson lmk as I've got several athletes, from pro runners & triathletes to BOP in both sports that I help them select shoes.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike
I've been using the Hoka Carbon X series (the original, the SPE, and now the x2) for pretty much 100% of my mileage since July last year. So far haven't found really any distance or speed they can't handle (for reference I'm 14:48 5km, 1:09 half - and if had race end of last year to show it was in shape for 1:08 low ish but I'll wait till spring '21 hopefully to prove that theory). Terms of the x2 they are little lighter and softer feeling then the original, but having said that I wouldn't call them a super soft shoe. Definitely a little stiff (fast feeling) but not jarring, overall it's a very smooth ride with the rocker, and ample cushioning to keep legs going strong for long runs. Also being an EVA foam they feel like they offer more support/more stable then other carbon plated shoes (one's that have the "super foams"). Terms of mileage I'm getting between 600-700km (about 400 miles) on each pair, and probably could push it to 800 if wanted to. Anyways overall highly recommend checking out. Amazing value for a carbon plated shoe considering not only the performance you get out of it, but also the mileage you can run in them.
Last edited by: f.sorbara.92: Jan 29, 21 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Brian in that there are many better shoes, but try a few. Our store has both versions and we can't get rid of any once people try other shoes. As far as our store, they're gathering dust on the shelf.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka X2 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@desertdude

Just curious - was the hardness of the shoe causing you pain, or was it just a subjective feeling that you didn't like how hard it was?

I ran barefoot style for 2 years not too long ago with superminimalist shoes, and had to stop due to worsening ankle arthritis (I was hoping the minimalist would change my loading pattern to more achilles and improve the arthritis, but it didn't unfortunately).

With zero padding of barefoot/minimialist, yes, the groundstrike was definitely a lot harder, but I could definitely run faster (easily my fastest triathlon run splits!) and with more control (was literally impossible to sprain my ankle, even on the gnarliest of trails), so there were definitely advantages despite the definitely NOT comfortable sensation of running on hard pavement without padding.

Maybe the hardness of the x2 means its a strictly racing shoe? Just wondering.

(I do a lot of running now in Hoka Bondi 6 ubermax padded and heavy shoes, and yeah, they are freaking SLOW. It's like a 10-15sec/mile difference compared to Saucony Endorphin Speed, sometimes even more.)
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka X2 [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
@desertdude

Just curious - was the hardness of the shoe causing you pain, or was it just a subjective feeling that you didn't like how hard it was?...........................................................Maybe the hardness of the x2 means its a strictly racing shoe? Just wondering.

(I do a lot of running now in Hoka Bondi 6 ubermax padded and heavy shoes, and yeah, they are freaking SLOW. It's like a 10-15sec/mile difference compared to Saucony Endorphin Speed, sometimes even more.)

No pain just didn't like how they feel especially compared to my Brooks Hyperion tempos and 361 Sensation 4s. If I'm pulling a shoe out for a run that has fast bits in it, either some vo2 or an extended tempo or threshold session I'm reaching for one of those even if the run is going to be 11-13 miles total. If I'm hitting the track I've got a surplus of Asics DS 23s I'm hording for those sessions and may still potentially race in them bc I really like that particular shoe.

The Bondi is a just go out for a run shoe for most people. It's been proven in several published and a few unpublished studies to be a slow shoe and/or decrease your running economy while using the shoe. It's great for a head out and log an easy x-xx miles but it's not a shoe to go fast in or even try to.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply