Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Look Keo Max 2 collar
Quote | Reply
Posting here as well because I often get great replies :-)

Hi All,

Question about the keo pedals I have bought off someone. There was some lateral spindle movement on both pedals, so when I loosened the collar to check - it clicked - and now when hand tight the movement has gone and seems very smooth

One problem though, I'm reading it should be tightened to 4nm. One side can be, although the spindle doesn't feel as free at that level, but on the other side - the collar gets to about 2nm then goes loose and looks like the thread has gone.

Is approx 2nm okay for these or is 4nm best and I need a new collar / thread / pedal?!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Look Keo Max 2 collar [chatlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy new titanium spindles at Amazon or eBay quite cheap. Steel even cheaper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check that the pedal body (the plastic / grp) where the collar threads into hasn't cracked - what happens (on one of my pedals at least !!) Is that as I tighten it, the pedal body expands where there's fine crack. Then 'clicks' back when the collar slips backward 1 thread.

I've been living with that on 1 pedal on the road bike for a few years now !! Still works ok. I just tighten the collar until its nipped up but not forcing the pedal body cracked open.
(Historically I have found the collars can come a little loose over time and occasionally (many months apart) have to re tightening on all my Max pedals (2 bikes, 4 pedals total).

I'll get a new pedal set to replace the cracked one when I get around to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Keo Max 2 collar [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
You can buy new titanium spindles at Amazon or eBay quite cheap. Steel even cheaper.

Struggling to find any UK based one and also not sure the collar is included

BobAjobb wrote:
Check that the pedal body (the plastic / grp) where the collar threads into hasn't cracked - what happens (on one of my pedals at least !!) Is that as I tighten it, the pedal body expands where there's fine crack. Then 'clicks' back when the collar slips backward 1 thread.

I've been living with that on 1 pedal on the road bike for a few years now !! Still works ok. I just tighten the collar until its nipped up but not forcing the pedal body cracked open.
(Historically I have found the collars can come a little loose over time and occasionally (many months apart) have to re tightening on all my Max pedals (2 bikes, 4 pedals total).

I'll get a new pedal set to replace the cracked one when I get around to it.

Cheers,just checked and no obvious signs of a crack at all. They seem pretty good at like 1-2nm, not spindle play and spinning freely. Will see how they go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just snug the collar down enough to eliminate play and use blue Loctite. If you put on too much torque you can break the plastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Keo Max 2 collar [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on this - does anyone know if the black locking collar can be removed from the spindle? 1. I may buy the above titanium spindles of ebay and they don't come with them and 2. If I need to tighten a bit further (due to slight play) then I have a set of old keo classics and could use the collar of one of those if they are removable. I have a feeling it'll involve bearing removal and re-installation though

Quote:
Just snug the collar down enough to eliminate play and use blue Loctite. If you put on too much torque you can break the plastic.
Oh thanks, will give loctite a go! Definitely not using too much torque - a lot less than was initially recommended anyway. More I read suggests it's nowhere near 4-5nm and in fact a little over hand tight!

thanks
Quote Reply