Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which watch buy to replace...
Quote | Reply
Hi, all tri experts. I noticed Garmin has released many triathlon watches over the last year. I am presently using a Fenix 5.
Any recommendation garmin or non garmin watch to go after? Thank you.
Last edited by: mine75: Jan 28, 21 3:16
Quote Reply
Re: Which watch buy to replace... [mine75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went Polar Vantage after several broken Garmins in the household and shiiite customer service in the UK (am told Garmin service in the USA is a lot better).

I don't want or need all the BS like apple pay or music on a watch (I don't go to the supermarket half way through an ironman !). Just want a multisport watch that actually works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your needs, interests, and budget. Do you have a preference for another Garmin? Are you OK spending $500-$600 for a multisport watch? Are you looking for a watch that can cover you in a full 140.6 or just 70.3 and shorter? Do you want a daily wear or just a watch for training and racing? Are there cool trick features you like, such as music, NFC payments, auto transition, bike computer integration, etc.? Do you need a watch that can do mapping?
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 28, 21 4:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a point of reference what is wrong with the Fenix 5? Garmin currently refers to the Fenix as 'The multisport messiah' in its marketing material which is marketing hype but describes how they feel about the product. I think there are products on the market that offer a lot better value for money than the Fenix but I need to know what you dislike about the Fenix that is driving you to buy something else. Not a lot has changed in the watch market in the past 3 or so years since your watch first came out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coros Apex Pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m still using my Fenix 5X+ - goes fine. So why would you want to upgrade when you have a perfectly good watch already?

A friend has just upgraded from his Fenix 3 and decided to get and Instinct Solar - it seems to do pretty much everything he needs multi sport and triathlon wise and is at a much better price point.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Which watch buy to replace... [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at either a Fenix or the solar Instinct. I am mainly interested in speed and distance features for windsurfing. Anyone know if the Fenix and Instinct are comparable for speed and distance features?

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another happy Polar Vantage M customer here. Very reliable product and great service, if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditched Garmin. Love Coros Apex Pro. LOVE.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Which watch buy to replace... [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irondave wrote:
Another happy Polar Vantage M customer here. Very reliable product and great service, if needed.

+1

I enjoy my Vantage M. I like the Polar ecosystem more than Garmin as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Which watch buy to replace... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. I usually race in Ironman 70.3, and have yet to have officially signup any full ironman event. I also occasionally do ultra marathon race.
I have nothing to complain about Fenix5 except i wish it could be a little lighter. I tried to convince myself to get 945, but i realized it may look a little small at my wrist for casual wear. That's why i am in dilemma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Fenix 6S. It’s a stylized 745. Better battery and fashioned for casual wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best value for money: Coros Pace 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine wanting - or needing - to replace a Fenix 5 with anything. Unless there's something you explicitly dislike about it, which you did not say. I love Garmin watches; I prefer the forerunner series to the fenix series just because I have small wrists, but I had a Fenix 3 for about 3 years and it was fantastic.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Which watch buy to replace... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the midst of a very similar conversation. Currently using a Suunto Spartan, and I've been displeased with the declining functionality with my watch. The longer I use it, the less seems to work. I hope others are not experiencing this, but it's driving me crazy.

That said, I'm choosing between the Fenix 6 Sapphire (because I'm super clumsy and prone to scratching a watch glass) and the 945. I can only find two differences between the function of the two watches (size isn't critical to me): 1. Storage capacity, and 2. battery life. The Fenix is superior in both instances, but I'm not sure it makes enough of a difference for me to justify the extra expense. Am I missing any other functionality that is disparate between the two?

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Which watch buy to replace... [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:
I can only find two differences between the function of the two watches (size isn't critical to me): 1. Storage capacity, and 2. battery life.
You have it right. The electronic guts are basically the same. The physically larger Fenix has more space for a larger battery & memory chip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the 945 and am currently using the fenix. Battery life on the fenix is much better. You really don't need the saphire either. Just get a good screen protector and you'll get great protection.
Sign up for https://www.choosehealthy.com and you can save at least 20% (off msrp)if not more depending on what model you choose.
Quote Reply
Re: Which watch buy to replace... [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the next question I have is regarding the customizable power saving modes - is it worth it? That’s probably the only feature that would swing me toward the Fenix, but if it’s not a worthwhile feature, I’ll save the cash.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never really needed to use them. I train 10-12 hours a week and the battery lasts about 15 days between charging. 945 was maybe 9-11 days or so. If I did it again I’d still buy the fenix. Small price to pay for something I use every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Fenix 6 Pro Solar!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Forerunner 910xt

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can’t we find a watch that has the specs of a Garmin, look of a Suunto, platform of a Polar, and price of a COROS?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply