Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying from Facebook Marketplace?
Quote | Reply
I have bought and sold some bike things on FB marketplace for a while with absolutely no problems, always use paypal for both busing and selling.
i.e. I give my paypal email in a DM.
Today I agreed to buy something on FB and the seller wants me to pay via facebook, says that I can link it to my paypal, I asked him for his paypal email, also gave him my email if he wanted to send me a invoice, he says he only has paypal with with facebook, is this a red flag, should I just be backing away from this?.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying from Facebook Marketplace? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, red flag. Facebook payments have no purchase protection. Now, to be fair, I send most of my payments when I buy on facebook marketplace via Paypal gift, but if someone insisted on gift then I would be out.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Buying from Facebook Marketplace? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He didn't ask to pay as a gift, but said that he didn't have his paypal connected to any email, only facebook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but insisting on it being done through facebook is essentially insisting it to be done as a gift, as the facebook payments are, as far as I'm aware, totally non-refundable. Does the price seem realistic and does their profile seem real? Maybe if everything else passes the sniff test it's okay to proceed but if even one other thing feels off, I'd stay away.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Buying from Facebook Marketplace? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok yeah I get what you are saying.
I looked at his FB profile, he only has 2 photos up, that does raise a red flag, though perhaps he just isn't active, I hate to be so judgy, but yeah perhaps I should walk away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Ok yeah I get what you are saying.
I looked at his FB profile, he only has 2 photos up, that does raise a red flag, though perhaps he just isn't active, I hate to be so judgy, but yeah perhaps I should walk away.

No, you should RUN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the watch collector world, there is a saying, "Buy the seller, not the watch."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

RUN
Quote Reply
Re: Buying from Facebook Marketplace? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, I walked, ok ran away.....
I got excited about a good deal, but luckily you guys kept me from getting scammed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
I have bought and sold some bike things on FB marketplace for a while with absolutely no problems, always use paypal for both busing and selling.
i.e. I give my paypal email in a DM.
Today I agreed to buy something on FB and the seller wants me to pay via facebook, says that I can link it to my paypal, I asked him for his paypal email, also gave him my email if he wanted to send me a invoice, he says he only has paypal with with facebook, is this a red flag, should I just be backing away from this?.

The seller might be a little clueless, but I have run into people who want to do everything through FB pay.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Buying from Facebook Marketplace? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it is possible that the guy is totally legit and not trying to scam anyone, I hate to say that this guy is automatically a thief.
But I asked him for his email/paypal account twice, like I will send you the $$ right now, just give me your paypal account and he just said it's only linked to FB.
And as I understand there is zero purchase protection that way.
Quote Reply