Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
One more option: routine bike service at your preferred location. Schedule via app. Select services by time estimate to do them

I think that's more sustainable by/for the LBS than teaching you how to do it, then they never see you again, unless you need a part, or an upgrade that you "think" you can do yourself

I could be wrong though

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's an untapped market of women who are not beginners and want to be more capable but don't feel comfortable in a class, especially a mixed-sex class. I am fortunate to have learned all of the following (and probably more) from Ian's boutique services, with zero mansplaining or condescension:

clipping in (total newbie)
tube change, tire replacement
cassette replacement
bar tape
cable replacement
headset adjustment
rounding buoys
reading the current and trajectory to first buoy
pacing at the track
swim video
run video

I'd probably put "come over and videotape me" as #1 on my regular wish list -- the others are mostly one-time educational things.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try looking for 'cottage bakers' or similar. Usually these are out-of-home-kitchen bakers and they tend to use high quality, local ingredients. Here in CA they have to have some sort of food handler's license, too. Advertisement is just via social media (instagram) posts. One local to me does a weekly bake, but I'd assume there are some that do more 'production' style runs too!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [JFHJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFHJR - where do you live? I'm in Austin, and my favorite bike mechanic, who has serviced bikes of lots of local pros whose names you would know, is now in a van for a company called VeloFix. I message him a few days out with a description of what I need, he drives the van to my house, and does whatever I need. Since he's seen all the latest and greatest tri bikes he knows that side well, and also the more mundane cruisers that we tool around on and my kids' bikes. It is so great. I've started letting my neighbors know when he is coming in case they have bike issues too. Velofix looks to be in many major metros across the US and Canada. https://www.velofix.com/locations/ I would be there are similar services springing up elsewhere.

There was another post on this thread about a mechanic coming to a set place and where you could make appointments. I used to teach spin at a local Life Time gym. I suggested this to the gym several times that they should set this up - something like "the 3rd Tuesday of every month a mobile bike mechanic will be on site - set up an appt and bring your bikes". I thought this would be a win-win-win. The gym wins with more members coming by for this event; the members win because they can avoid a trip to the bike shop and schedule a repair while doing their workout and the mechanic wins because it is a solid revenue stream. But they never seemed to think this was a good idea. Anyway - I agree that workplaces and gyms ought to consider this. Especially as this "bike bubble" goes on and more people are getting out there and riding places like work, the grocery and elsewhere.

Best,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
pk wrote:
Slowman wrote:
in particular what i'm referring to are things you need that are hard to get or to find that fix specific problems. i'll give you 2 examples, not that you need these services, but they fall into the category to which i refer.

1. i wrote about the Formula SpeedLock hydraulic in-line quick-connect last week, and there are certain bikes i could imagine having where a pair of these in-line would make my life a lot easier. however, they are at present very hard to find; and i think a lot of mechanics would have a hard time getting these installed correctly. also, in certain cases, i would like to see the motif changed a bit to suit our particular needs. anyway, i would find it very handy to have at my beck and call someone who could come in and reroute hydraulic brake lines with strategically placed quick-connects, so that i can change stems and handlebars easily, and so that my bike can pack for travel.

2. pain cave set-up. while i don't need this, there was a time when i really could've used a bike + multimedia expert who'd come in, set my pain cave up, teach me zwift or rouvy or sufferfest or whatever i wanted to know, perhaps that would set me up with OBS studio for livestreaming, who'd hook up the TV, the appletv, or who'd consult with me on my gaming rig if i wanted to go whole hog. who'd choose and assemble my tv stand or mount. all of it.

these are 2 of the boutique services that i could imagine somebody providing, and maybe that's a mobile bike fitter who's hip to a slowtwitcher's particular needs, or a bike fitter or coach/mechanic or LBS who performs house calls or who at least has wrenching experience on point #1 above.

sorry for the long post, but, what i wonder is what other services beyond 1 and 2 above can you think of?

i want a tailor that adjusts or takes in aero tri suits but really knows what they are doing, the amount of time i have wasted each time to find one is mind buckling.

Joke:Love the Pain?!

Actually, if you contact desoto, they will do this I think but for an added fee. Probably not cheap.

its actually not expensive i have paid between 10 euro in poland and 35 euro in ireland for it . the problem really is to find somebody who has the guts to do it , as most tailors have not worked with the material and you need to think a bit outside the box.

velotec offers the service too when i spoke to them last year he told me he had just send one to the USA adjusted to the guy .
but in person with you wearing the suit is even better.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
JFHJR - where do you live? I'm in Austin, and my favorite bike mechanic, who has serviced bikes of lots of local pros whose names you would know, is now in a van for a company called VeloFix. I message him a few days out with a description of what I need, he drives the van to my house, and does whatever I need. Since he's seen all the latest and greatest tri bikes he knows that side well, and also the more mundane cruisers that we tool around on and my kids' bikes. It is so great. I've started letting my neighbors know when he is coming in case they have bike issues too. Velofix looks to be in many major metros across the US and Canada. https://www.velofix.com/locations/ I would be there are similar services springing up elsewhere.

There was another post on this thread about a mechanic coming to a set place and where you could make appointments. I used to teach spin at a local Life Time gym. I suggested this to the gym several times that they should set this up - something like "the 3rd Tuesday of every month a mobile bike mechanic will be on site - set up an appt and bring your bikes". I thought this would be a win-win-win. The gym wins with more members coming by for this event; the members win because they can avoid a trip to the bike shop and schedule a repair while doing their workout and the mechanic wins because it is a solid revenue stream. But they never seemed to think this was a good idea. Anyway - I agree that workplaces and gyms ought to consider this. Especially as this "bike bubble" goes on and more people are getting out there and riding places like work, the grocery and elsewhere.

Best,
-Doug

A gym does not want their members to be riding a bike outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:
I'd love for someone to come in, see my swim (badly), see my body size and shape, and then get me into the best wetsuit for me.

With so many companies, models, and sizes, buying a wetsuit is daunting, and getting the right wetsuit for me seems like winning the lottery.

Much like lotto, I still haven't won.

note the other response to your post, and the recommendation of de soto. i'm a pretty average body type i think, and i swim often in this wetsuit. however, what sets it apart from other wetsuits is the ability to get a good fit if you have a non-standard body type. the de soto wetsuit was a collaboration between emilio and i. i have a bit of a history in triathlon wetsuits, and back in 2002 or so i felt there was room in the marketplace for a wetsuit like the one they sell, so, emilio and i got it up and running.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
I would just like a more system based approach to maintaining a high quality diet without all of the guesswork on ingredients, portion size, nutrients, calories, etc.

I would like to go to a grocery store, be able to enter some calorie and macro criteria, and get a meal plan spit out with recipes for 3-4 days and a shopping list for all of the items, all in one aisle, without having to weigh and measure a lot of stuff at home. It doesn't have to be organic or anything like that - just optimal nutrition thats easier to manage.

It isn't quite structured that way, but that sounds a lot like Blue Apron. Pick you meals (review the nutrition info). When it shows up, you cook. Not having to measure things is one of the joys of meal plan kits.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone to come to my house and show me all the tips and tricks to Zwift and to make sure everything is optimally set up. As you know, what shows up on my screen is not the same as your screen.

Re the fresh bread - lots of folks here (Nashville) started and are now still baking weekly. Like mentioned, social media is how you can usually find them. We also have a few excellent bakeries, one who does French type baguettes.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
we did this with a speedmax a while back. in my opinion, the single best upgrade a rider can make, once he cobbles up the cash, is to turn a mechanical tri bike into electronic. i think it's around $800 if you don't do shifting at the brake levers. but i don't think we did a blow by blow of it.

I get it could cleanup some stuff aero wise to go Di2, but pretty much the #1 reason I want it is so that I can get the gears right when I'm out of the extensions rounding a corner or something. I don't get why go to all the trouble but shave dollars to not do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Product: Carbon plated shoes offered in different "tunes" just like shocks on an MTB. You agree to pay like $500 up front for you choice of custom tuned plated shoe shoe. Company sends you at "fit kit" where your trace your foot shape to get size/arch height, you spec things like out sole preference and upper weight. You then get a box or try-on shoes from the demo fleet with 6 different levels of cushion (travel), responsiveness (rebound rate), and pop (compression damping). You wear the shoes for a couple of weeks, and get to pick your favorite. They customize the build to your specification. Probably should order 2 pair, one for training/one for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mbellis5 wrote:
Pff boutique?

I want a post workout pt/massage service...in my house...with understanding of triathlon work loads.

Or a pre / post workout meal prep in a valid time window that take into account 700 -1200 calorie avg workout a day

Id love someone to start making valid drink mixes of over 100g carbs 7g protein in the correct ratio of glucose fructose

After that? I'd take someone to do my workouts for me but gift me the fitness.

You want my wife. She is an experienced triathlete and a registered massage therapist.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThomD wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
I would just like a more system based approach to maintaining a high quality diet without all of the guesswork on ingredients, portion size, nutrients, calories, etc.

I would like to go to a grocery store, be able to enter some calorie and macro criteria, and get a meal plan spit out with recipes for 3-4 days and a shopping list for all of the items, all in one aisle, without having to weigh and measure a lot of stuff at home. It doesn't have to be organic or anything like that - just optimal nutrition thats easier to manage.

It isn't quite structured that way, but that sounds a lot like Blue Apron. Pick you meals (review the nutrition info). When it shows up, you cook. Not having to measure things is one of the joys of meal plan kits.

I get that but there is a tun of wasteful packaging and the cost is pretty high. I bet the carbon footprint of services like Blue Apron is over the top. You get a box delivered by UPS with a tun of packaging and cooling with every meal for close to a restaurant price. I would rather have a simpler modified way of grocery shopping combined with meal plans that achieves a similar thing.

I have heard coaches say things like “nutrition is the 4th sport in Triathlon”. Why does it need to be so time consuming to eat right? Clearly a lot of people have a challenge in this area based on the numerous conversations on weight management, there has got to be a way to simplify it.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your wish list on boutique services you need [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd disagree that Blue Apron comes even close to restaurant costs and the FedEx guy is already driving around the neighborhood. But if it isn't for you, that's fine.

Check your local grocery chains. Many have added meal kits.
Quote Reply

Prev Next