Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tire width and rolling resistance. [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Can you quantify this non-linearity?

The test and charts are on his site. https://blog.silca.cc/...r-is-stiffer/harsher

Like I said earlier in this thread, at the same pressure a 28mm tire is stiffer than 23mm on a flat surface... but if you are hitting little bumps, they are about the same. Pressure is the dominant factor in that case. So if you reduce pressure on your bigger tires, say enough to give you equivalent Crr to the small tire, then you will get more comfort with no Crr penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width and rolling resistance. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
New take on things.

"We now feel picking the right size tire is more a matter of looking at what level of comfort (and grip) is required. At some point, a smaller tire isn't able to provide the same comfort level (and grip) as its bigger counterpart because it will start bottoming out.
If you want to go as fast as possible, choose your required comfort level and pick the smallest tire that can provide that comfort for you."

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...KOG_Opmz8#conclusion

Rather timely find, as I was shopping for wider tubulars to use instead of my old, but unused, 21.5mm Vittoria Corsa CXIII's. I'll just stick with those pumped up to 130psi ;-)

Too long joes tried to mimic lightweight pros on tires. That is the long run takeaway.

A 150lb rider need not 28’s or even 25’s mandatory. The trend in tire size reflects the public actually riding.

“You do you” comes to mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width and rolling resistance. [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I remember! I've never switched from 23's for the road. If only I could still find 20mm tires for my specialized trispokes....

One never knows, therefore I have stocked 20mm GP4k and 20mm SS (also the old one) for the next decade.

A word of warning, the 20mm GP4000 is somehow very different from the 23 and wider varients. I roller tested the 20mm GP4000 a couple years ago and it was horrible. Unless Conti did some sort of recent redesign, which seems unlikely for a tire nobody buys, you are much better off riding just about any other tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width and rolling resistance. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
BergHugi wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I remember! I've never switched from 23's for the road. If only I could still find 20mm tires for my specialized trispokes....

One never knows, therefore I have stocked 20mm GP4k and 20mm SS (also the old one) for the next decade.

A word of warning, the 20mm GP4000 is somehow very different from the 23 and wider varients. I roller tested the 20mm GP4000 a couple years ago and it was horrible. Unless Conti did some sort of recent redesign, which seems unlikely for a tire nobody buys, you are much better off riding just about any other tire.

It was not that bad above 40 km/h at velodrome testing, i.e. aero and rolling resistance at the same test.
Quote Reply

Prev Next