Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano RC9 vs TR9
Quote | Reply
I have the TR9 and have been great shoes.

Have heard the RC9s are great.

Are the RC9s better for long course triathlons and training rides. My TR9s are getting beat up and last years RC9s are a good deal right now. Thinking of buying?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9 vs TR9 [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rc9s are my favorite cycling shoe. Anything over an olympic you'll see a lot of people wear them. I wear mine for 70.3 and 140.6s and love em. You obviously lose the heel loop, but a much better cycling shoe to the tr9. id say go ahead and get them. I think a lot of places have them sitting around the 300 mark which is a good deal for them.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
I have the TR9 and have been great shoes.

Have heard the RC9s are great.

Are the RC9s better for long course triathlons and training rides. My TR9s are getting beat up and last years RC9s are a good deal right now. Thinking of buying?

I’ve heard from some that the TR feel a bit wider in the toe box, FWIW. I have the RC9s and could see that the toe box could start to feel tight at the end of 112 miles. My last 112-mile bike leg was with some older R315s in wide and they were cozy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both, and I love both. I only use my RC-9s for road rides. Every training and race ride on my TT I use my TR9s. It never occurred to me to wear teh RC-9s in a race. Definitely not an olympic or shorter, where seconds matter. But they might be nice in a HIM or IM. But, I don't think you give up much. The RC-9s really only matter when you are standing and putting out big power. For steady moderate power, they cannot be that different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the RC9's for everything from training rides to sprint, Oly, half Ironman, Ironman and ultra cycling races. I have the TR9's also and they are a fine shoe but the RC9's have a nice fit for me and with the dual Boa's it really lets you dial in the fit as the ride progresses. I won't ride anything else in the foreseeable future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried both the RC902 and RC7 and found the RC7 to be substantially more comfortable for me. The RC902 was too almost too stiff, but the upper was fantastic. I could definitely see how a lot of people would like them
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9 vs TR9 [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
I use the RC9's for everything from training rides to sprint, Oly, half Ironman, Ironman and ultra cycling races. I have the TR9's also and they are a fine shoe but the RC9's have a nice fit for me and with the dual Boa's it really lets you dial in the fit as the ride progresses. I won't ride anything else in the foreseeable future.

Do you go the flying mount in your RC9s?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9 vs TR9 [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, with a rubber band around one of the BOA cables.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9 vs TR9 [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I've never had an issue doing them. A little bit more fumbling to get into the shoe I guess than the TR9 but not much.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9 vs TR9 [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...was in the market for new shoes and this thread got me looking at various Shimano models. Found the TR9's (900s, I believe, so the older model) on sale in the REI Outlet for $140 so pulled the trigger on them last night. Seemed like too high of a value/$ ratio to pass up, even in comparison to how well-reviewed the RC9s are (but at up to twice+ the price).

Travis
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9 vs TR9 [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great price. Wish they came in black
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9 vs TR9 [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
That's a great price. Wish they came in black
I know - me too! I couldn't justify paying twice the price for a different model in a more preferable color so I went with it. Worst case this will be relegated to the pain-cave if need something that matches better on race day :)
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9 vs TR9 [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. I might stick with the TR9s since no issues and I have a wide toe area.
Quote Reply