Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck
Quote | Reply
The weather was shit so I pulled down the cross bike off the garage peg. Last time I rode it was at least a year ago. Put some air in the tires and off I went. No dead battery , no brakes to bleed , no sealant to top off. Just some air and off I went.

I ride the cross bike a couple of times a year and mechanical shifting , rim brakes and tires with tubes is the perfect set up
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree! I ditched di2 and went back to mechanical across the board.
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kind of agree, but in your title do you mean tubed (clinchers with tubes) tires, or tubular (glued-on) tires ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I kind of agree, but in your title do you mean tubed (clinchers with tubes) tires, or tubular (glued-on) tires ?

Cross bike would almost certainly be tubular.
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but the last sentence in the OP seems confusing ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeah, but the last sentence in the OP seems confusing ...

Ah, good point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good old Tubular glued on tires. Yeah I guess you could say I should maintain those but I don’t.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
The weather was shit so I pulled down the cross bike off the garage peg. Last time I rode it was at least a year ago. Put some air in the tires and off I went. No dead battery , no brakes to bleed , no sealant to top off. Just some air and off I went.

I ride the cross bike a couple of times a year and mechanical shifting , rim brakes and tires with tubes is the perfect set up

That’s what I’ll be road racing with this year. Tubulars, mechanical, and rim brakes. I like stuff that “just works” and is easy to maintain.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree for road/TT bikes but for MTB tubeless tires and disc brakes make a huge difference. Never been a fan of electronic shifting on any bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, but I'm scared of tubulars that have old glue. Even though it's a huge pain (even when the glue is a few years old) to rip the tire off, i'd rather take the time once per year to make sure the glue is fresh and safe. I've seen too many crashes from poorly glued tires.

So, i agree that for a race bike tubular and rim brake is excellent, for a "set it and forget it" i'd rather have clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been on mechanical shifting, clinchers and rim brakes since 1985.

Remember when Stadler biked 4:18 in Kona with this (he was on Vittoria Corsa CX EVO tubulars with the extra flat resistant kevlar belt with high Crr too):

Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How can that be???? I thought from reading ST it was impossible to go fast without disc brakes......because, you know, so you can stop fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
I thought from reading ST it was impossible to go fast without disc brakes......because, you know, so you can stop fast.

You have it backwards. ST thinks we have to stick with rim brakes forever, and then follow it up with the 10,000th iteration of the the joke about expanding the rotor diameter out to the rim.

Either way, the battle is over. Rim brake lost, for better or worse. Time to move on.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 25, 21 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:
I thought from reading ST it was impossible to go fast without disc brakes......because, you know, so you can stop fast.

You have it backwards. ST thinks we have to stick with rim brakes forever, and then follow it up with the 10,000th iteration of the the joke about expanding the rotor diameter out to the rim.

Either way, the battle is over. Rim brake lost, for better or worse. Time to move on.

something something ... MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Cross bike would almost certainly be tubular.

I've been attempting tubeless during Covid with some gravel and some practice laps at the local course. I don't run my psi down to the single digits, so don't necessarily fear rolling a bead off.

I can't stand dealing with gluing stuff up. Tubeless setup on tires that big are child's play versus gluing. Cleaning glue off sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I can't stand dealing with gluing stuff up. Tubeless setup on tires that big are child's play versus gluing. Cleaning glue off sucks.

I hear you.

Though I've learned to love the craft of tubular gluing (for track). Though it's a love akin to learning to love making homemade chainmail for a Renaissance faire. Takes a lot of time and patience.

But, yeah, for those who'd prefer not to spend hours cleaning and applying glue - it sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

Perhaps, but I guess I shoot a bit higher than the “don’t suck” standard. I can assure you that Etap and latex with clinchers (maybe even disc brakes) suck far less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:

Who need brakes, they are heavy as shit, and only slow you down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:

No brakes baby....just a giant rotor and you can go fast

Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

It’s a skill. Those who can’t glue, can’t set up a tire without spraying sealant all over the room.

Glueing is less messy than an exploding tubeless tire.

Too each their own....
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That thing is like a reverse penny farthing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:

I will when you can't even find a replacement parts for rim brakes. Besides by then "Big Bike" may have sorted out all the insanity of wheel standards, hooked, vs hookless, vs the tire, vs etc. Wheels are going the way of the bottom bracket standards disaster.
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
trail wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:

I will when you can't even find a replacement parts for rim brakes. Besides by then "Big Bike" may have sorted out all the insanity of wheel standards, hooked, vs hookless, vs the tire, vs etc. Wheels are going the way of the bottom bracket standards disaster.

I'll probably switch when I need to get a new bike, i.e. I break my current frame. Even then, I might not.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'll probably switch when I need to get a new bike, i.e. I break my current frame. Even then, I might not.

I just broke my rim brake S5, and was sure I'd have one more round of rim brake bike, mostly just not to deprecate my 3 road wheelsets.

Nope, couldn't pull it off, hard as I tried. Have a disc brake road bike. To be fair, it's been just great so far, though not deep enough in to have had to deal with maintenance or travel yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Mech shifting, rim brakes, tubular tires don’t suck [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is if you don't count the Giro, the Tour and the Vuelta. Which of course were all won on rim brake bikes.
Quote Reply