Re: chainring wobble [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Also should I put a new chain and new cassette on the replacement."

No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
I received an email from Cobb today. Thankful, They are sending me a replacement. I dont know if its the whole set or just chainrings since proprietary for the carbon set.

If the chainrings are easy to bend and in fact this is causing the wobble is there a way to prevent it from happening again. Also should I put a new chain and new cassette on the replacement.

Thanks for the feedback

Did Cobb send you some new chainrings?

Is everything working properly?
Quote Reply
Re: chainring wobble [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Cobb sent new 50/34
No not working -LBS could not get it to work properly, still wobbles. LBS discussed directly with Cobb and told them its not working. Cobb told me and my LBS said they tested it and it was working correctly at their facility.

IAfter that I Sent back to Cobb after they Okd me to return it. after talking to my LBS. Since I said I wanted a refund and not try a 3rd time on another set after waiting more than 2 weeks for the 2nd chainring

After I returned it last week Got story from Cobb rep they need to talk to upper mgmt for refund after the rep Okd me to return it. Said might be difficult due to 30 day return policy which applies only to their seats.
Obviously the cranksets cannot be returned after install but if they dont work and/or defective than this should not apply.

Called this week Cobb not in office due to Texas weather which I totally understand, hoping next week weather permitting brings me a refund but I as the customer have to keep asking for an update from the Cobb rep who probably feels like I caused this issue which I most definitely did not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since a Cobb employee told you to return the defective product, they owe you a refund. Period.

You might want to get a Rotor crankset. In my experience, they are always perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as a FYI, I once had a bottom bracket that I destroyed the NDS bearings on so the crank wobbled enough that it would drop the chain on the inside from time to time
Not saying this is the case with you, but you may want to check anyway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get a refund?
Quote Reply
Re: chainring wobble [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Received refund from Cobb last week.

Put Shimano 105 and 160's work great. Also less than 200 vs 640 for Carbons from Cobb?

Rotors may work too but if not I would not want to go through all the sh-t, time, aggravation, and money spent at LBS that I would have to go through as I went throgh with Cobb should it be a problem.

Cmon shimano make 150s and 155s. All my shimano cranksets work perfect. There is a huge market potential for women and vertically challenged people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
Received refund from Cobb last week.

Put Shimano 105 and 160's work great. Also less than 200 vs 640 for Carbons from Cobb?

Rotors may work too but if not I would not want to go through all the sh-t, time, aggravation, and money spent at LBS that I would have to go through as I went throgh with Cobb should it be a problem.

Cmon shimano make 150s and 155s. All my shimano cranksets work perfect. There is a huge market potential for women and vertically challenged people

Did they ever confirm the defect? I have both their carbon and alloy crank sets and they are perfect. Wonder if yours were part of a bad batch?

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: chainring wobble [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobb said they tested the 2nd one and said it was perfect. However when fitted to my bike it had a wobble and the mechanic at my lbs showed me and talked to cobb directly.

Im glad you dont have issues because of the time involved and because of covid delays on all ends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
Cobb said they tested the 2nd one and said it was perfect. However when fitted to my bike it had a wobble and the mechanic at my lbs showed me and talked to cobb directly.

Im glad you dont have issues because of the time involved and because of covid delays on all ends.
Yup that sucks. Sorry you had to go through that. And I agree, it would be great if Shimano would offer shorter than 160.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that Cobb did the right thing and gave you a refund!

The only thing wrong with a Shimano 160mm crankset, is that it is 160mm.
Quote Reply

Prev Next