Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when is LA, Paris, Tokyo and X city going to finally become permanent host cities...(insert your own cities if you like, you get the point)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Under the sustainable bid model, We will definitely see many of these cities often. I don't think there will ever be a development bid again following Rio and Athens.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So when is LA, Paris, Tokyo and X city going to finally become permanent host cities...(insert your own cities if you like, you get the point)

Honestly I prefer stand alone sports and their organic World Championships, like cycling. Also sport-specific like the World Cup. It used to be that I preferred the "romance" and nostalgia of the Olympics but at this point it's lost its charm because of all the corruption and bribery and cheating and sexual abuse by NGBs and Federations and whatnot. Also the medal asymmetry... swimming and track get multiple medals for what is essentially same task by the same energy system, and then relays of said redundant tasks, and triathlon (for example) gets one or now two.

If I were boss, I would have America host it every four years, and every time build a purpose-built million-citizen city, in the middle of nowhere, perfectly designed and "green" and laid out Euro style, to be backfilled by immigrants and people moving around the US internally, in an attempt to boost our population and be more competitive on the world scene.

I think the fallout will be, to get back on topic, that some people will realize they're not missing as much as they thought, some athletes will be devastated, some people will need the distraction from the grief and strain of COVID, some cities will rethink the calculus of hosting and bribing, content providers will try to produce Olympic-level content as we pandemic-binge said content.

It's a mixed bag.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

If I were boss, I would have America host it every four years, and every time build a purpose-built million-citizen city, in the middle of nowhere, perfectly designed and "green" and laid out Euro style, to be backfilled by immigrants and people moving around the US internally, in an attempt to boost our population and be more competitive on the world scene.

E

..Oh gee,an American thinking it would be perfectly reasonable to host the Olympic Games only in America to benefit only Americans,how surprising.........and people wonder why ST'ers like Halvard,myself and others have to continually point out that there is indeed a world full of people outside of the USA.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jan 25, 21 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a note, I've noted it's a world out there beside my american bubble. I just contend that every post doesnt have to turn into a pissing match about it and that nothing I really have said beyond potentially handball showcases that.

I just dont think all the olympic sports can be sustained "on it's own" without the OG carrot and that sometimes the IOC isn't the big ball meanie.

I would guess that FGP and German Bungeldesia (spelling) would fall to the waste side if triathlon (draft legal) was booted out of the olympics because there would likely be no pipeline to fill said events since who would go down the DL pipeline?

(I know you were adressing Eric in this specific instance....i think he was more joking with the specifics..., as much as yall roll your eyes as us "american viewpoint", I equally roll my eyes as "your missing the world" when I actually make valid points across the board....nothing I've said needed an "american" spew between me and Halvard).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 25, 21 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

E

..Oh gee,an American thinking it would be perfectly reasonable to host the Olympic Games only in America to benefit only Americans,how surprising.........and people wonder why ST'ers like Halvard,myself and others have to continually point out that there is indeed a world full of people outside of the USA.

That’s sort of the point. Hosting in an existing city has a negative EV. Eventually nobody will want to, unless it’s to seed a new city. Also, it’s a thought experiment, not me being a typical American. Besides, didn't you hear me say shitcan swimming and that I prefer World Cup? What American would say that.

I think you’re projecting your bias on to me... we’ve earned it, but not me personally. I had a global perspective as a kid, let alone now.

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Even though this would make sense, it all comes down to all politics is local. At least for Europe, I can't see London, Berlin, a few other major cities permanently bowing out and accepting Paris will get the Europe nod for every 4th or 5th Olympics. But maybe. But if you give one place the Olympics and they keep up the facilities, then in seems natural to also have a lot of WCs there in between, where the countries that agree to bow out of the Olympics still probably want a shot at those.

For North America, maybe. It seems like although NY and Boston talked seriously about a bid, they ultimately realized no matter how much of a temporary tourism boost, it was financially a loser. As I remember, LA could recycle enough infrastructure from 1984 and/or leverage the new NFL stadium complex and other venues to make it work. So maybe every other city in the US has finally realized it never again makes sense to make an Olympic bid. The Canadians are smart people and don't seem to be blinded by pride, so if we agreed they could be the North American winter host nation they'd probably take it.

But back to the Olympic spirit (which is supposed to transcend national rivalries and economic interests), you'd think the world could agree on 4-5 venues to use on a rotating basis for the future and prevent wasteful building of white elephant infrastructure when humanity would be best served spending the money on something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

But back to the Olympic spirit (which is supposed to transcend national rivalries and economic interests), you'd think the world could agree on 4-5 venues to use on a rotating basis for the future and prevent wasteful building of white elephant infrastructure when humanity would be best served spending the money on something else.

Thanks Sir! My Words since a few years. The Olympic Event like it is now is at the End. As you said every cycle there are less people who want to make a bid, build the facilities and host the olympics. In the end it is a financal loss you can't explain to the citizens anymore.

But the olympic idea of breaking boundaries between people and giving everything you have as an athlete on one given day in a four year cycle is something great an should reamin. Not to mention the loss of kids which won't do any sport if they don't get inspired by their role models at an event like the olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote tri_yoda

For North America, maybe. It seems like although NY and Boston talked seriously about a bid, they ultimately realized no matter how much of a temporary tourism boost, it was financially a loser. As I remember, LA could recycle enough infrastructure from 1984 and/or leverage the new NFL stadium complex and other venues to make it work. So maybe every other city in the US has finally realized it never again makes sense to make an Olympic bid. The Canadians are smart people and don't seem to be blinded by pride, so if we agreed they could be the North American winter host nation they'd probably take it.

.[/quote].
Australia could host the Olympics with six months notice and a fleet of cruise ships to act as athlete housing.

All of the major sporting facilities and infrastructure from Sydney 2000 and the Commonwealth Games 2018 are used all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I'm sure there would be countries that would bitch that they missed out, etc. And maybe this new sustainable model is the better answer so there's no more Rio's or Beijing. That's more or less what we need and if this new bidding model does the trick and only 8 countries now rotate it, great. Just make it make sense.

I'm not caught up on the actual model, so I dont know the details or expectations of it. But I assume it's expectations that your facilities have to be permanently used, etc for upkeep and not just wasted on a building to be used 1 time for a month. I know many of the athlete apartments turn into apartments, so I'm also curious what happens if Olympics comes back. Does said tenant get the boot for 2 months and then can come back after it's all used, etc. I think only LA has been picked twice in the last what 40+ years. I dont know their athlete village story or plan.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is it.

Many countries can hold the Olympics now if there was an IOC desire.
But the billions of spend are driven by the IOC and it demanding (or as good as demanding) new facilities and shiny new spaces.

When Birmingham (the real one) was bidding a decade or two back, basically the IOC told the British that the only way it would entertain applications that had a chance in the future was to be in the capital, and with that goes new builds.

If the IOC wanted to, the games can be spread out across a region to make best use if existing facilities.
For London 2012 it was forced to build a new artificial white water course nearer to London because the one in Nottingham (100 miles away and used for multiple world cups and world champs) was not close enough in the IOCs eyes.
Sheffield has a world class 50m pool.
We already had Manchester velodrome.
Etc.
But the IOC dogma and greed wants more more more new new new. The sport has become a mere by-product of the money making and pocket lining.

And break dancing as an Olympic sport ? FFS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

E

...Oh gee,an American thinking it would be perfectly reasonable to host the Olympic Games only in America to benefit only Americans,how surprising.........and people wonder why ST'ers like Halvard,myself and others have to continually point out that there is indeed a world full of people outside of the USA.

Florida is offering to host the olympics this summer. That ought to really piss you off. https://www.baynews9.com/...itches-offer-to-host
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Jan 26, 21 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious why a sport like surfing wanted to join the Olympics what a few cycles back (I cant remember when it specifically joined). Mainly because it seems half the cities who host have what kind of surf break. Secondly it's almost a agreement with the devil so to speak. I would think the hoops you then have to jump through would be pretty off putting.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 26, 21 5:20
Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

E

...Oh gee,an American thinking it would be perfectly reasonable to host the Olympic Games only in America to benefit only Americans,how surprising.........and people wonder why ST'ers like Halvard,myself and others have to continually point out that there is indeed a world full of people outside of the USA.

Florida is offering to host the olympics this summer. That ought to really piss you off. https://www.baynews9.com/...itches-offer-to-host
Your posts lately seem to indicate that everyone needs to in agreement with you or they are pissed off. I read about this a few hours ago and is didn't piss me off at all ,in fact I laughed out loud as it just confirmed my view that many Americans are fucking delusional..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The people of Oslo, Norway voted down applying for the winter olympic after all the demands from IOC were publicized.
The demands were pathetic and laughable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida says they're willing to host the Games if Japan backs out.

https://www.myfloridacfo.com/sitePages/newsroom/pressRelease.aspx?id=5768

Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they would likely build an ITU race through Disney somewhere but Clermont DL is within 30mins away.

No way in hell it happens, but if it in a million years they used the Clermont Lake Louisa DL course....give me Alex Yee for the W.....assuming he actually makes the GB team. That is 100000% an runners course and at that level I wouldn't see how the front pack stays clear of chase pack.

**AGAIN, FL ain't hosting it, neither is Australia w/ athletes living on liberty ships**

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
The people of Oslo, Norway voted down applying for the winter olympic after all the demands from IOC were publicized.
The demands were pathetic and laughable.

Same thing happend in Hamburg in 2015. The plan was to apply for the 2024 or probably for the 2028 olympics. It's interesting to see that nearly every political party in Hamburg, the sport clubs and the lokal media advertised the olymics but the people still didn't want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
And break dancing as an Olympic sport ? FFS.
I agree that break dancing puts the Olympics into "jump the shark" territory.

But I'd probably watch TV coverage of some Olympic break dancers before I'd watch the 10 meter air pistol competition.

Lots of junk events in the Olympics these days. (Slopestyle anyone?) I suppose they need to fill some TV time in addition to trying to attract the youngsters.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What specifically is addressed in the sustainable bid model?

It seems more like post olympic usage is bigger concern than the actual cost of building for the olympics imo. IE- if your a city that doesnt host FIBA or handball or world comps on a regular basis, it's stupid to pay for a $150mi arena that's going to sit and rot 1 month post OG's.

So I'm guessing it's along those lines.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.olympic.org/sustainability/ioc-as-owner-of-the-olympic-games

If you look at Paris and LA, there will be renovations of venues but compared to Beijing, Rio, Tokyo and many others. Very little massive infrastructure development as part of any new bids going forward. The intent of the IOC is to be an economic catalyst going forward rather than a drag.

For example look at Athens Olympics. Look at Rio Olympics and FIFA World Cup. Many of the venues are rotting and the economic impact was completely offset by the cost of hosting both events.

Basically I see 4 to 5 cities in the World being able to host the Olympics going forward. Part of the model involves the environment blah blah. Los Angeles and Paris will easily be locked in to hosting the Olympics each for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What specifically is addressed in the sustainable bid model?

It seems more like post olympic usage is bigger concern than the actual cost of building for the olympics imo. IE- if your a city that doesnt host FIBA or handball or world comps on a regular basis, it's stupid to pay for a $150mi arena that's going to sit and rot 1 month post OG's.

So I'm guessing it's along those lines.
Here is something you might like to look at (download the Olympic Legacy-a success story brochure)
Olympic Legacy (nsw.gov.au)

Here is some info on what they did with the athlete village..
How Newington and Sydney’s Olympic Village became a world-renowned neighbourhood (domain.com.au)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The intent of the IOC is to be an economic catalyst going forward rather than a drag.

the intent of the IOC is to maintain the status quo, that is, making a shitton of money, legitimately or otherwise through grift, graft, and bribes.

https://www.thenation.com/...ics-bribery-scandal/

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Jan 26, 21 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Fallout of canceled Olympics [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Japan is paying the majority of the more than US$12 billion - less than half is covered by private investment and the IOC. Some experts estimate it to be closer to US$25 billion, but I suppose that’s hearsay for now.

Sure, plenty will be in the form of bond payments, but that makes things worse. Government bond ratings being what they are, this debt load only restricts their ability to float bonds for what one might consider critical infrastructure projects. Add to this the knowledge that cities around the world are strewn with derelict former Olympic venues that governments have given up on for lack of budget to properly staff and maintain.

So yeah, I do feel for the citizens who have to foot this bill.

philly1x wrote:
Robotguy wrote:
I feel most for the citizens of Tokyo. Without the Olympic revenue, they’ll now likely have to foot the bill for those new facilities. Bad enough half of them will be abandoned a decade before they’re paid off.
If by the citizens of Tokyo, do you mean private/corporate investment, municipal bonds, public works and improvement projects, etc? If Tokyo does get 2032, 10yrs is NBD for financing in the long run, right? If the facilities can be put to use in the interim, it would appear at face value that there would be more benefit derived from the improvements made for the 2020 games to be use through the 2032 games?
Quote Reply

Prev Next