Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Top/bottom (seperate) wetsuits and water leaking in
Quote | Reply
Is there really any hope getting a perfect sealed torso with a two piece wetsuit (top and bottom)? I really like the convenience of wearing my wetsuit bottoms to and from the beach and easily being able to slip the top on and off right on the shore. I've tried several tops but my experience is water always gets in past the hip seal into the torso which is quite a chill during cold mornings. Is a single piece the only reliable way to avoid this?
Last edited by: niteflight: Jan 20, 21 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Top/bottom (seperate) wetsuits and water leaking in [niteflight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% sealed? Probably not. But, if you buy the de soto bib John, it comes up very high and offers ample overlap. Personally, I didn’t like the feel of this combination in the shoulders, but I don’t recall the major issues that you describe with your wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Top/bottom (seperate) wetsuits and water leaking in [niteflight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niteflight wrote:
Is there really any hope getting a perfect sealed torso with a two piece wetsuit (top and bottom)? I really like the convenience of wearing my wetsuit bottoms to and from the beach and easily being able to slip the top on and off right on the shore. I've tried several tops but my experience is water always gets in past the hip seal into the torso which is quite a chill during cold mornings. Is a single piece the only reliable way to avoid this?

I have always used one piece suits.

That said, not sure if are familiar with how wetsuits are supposed to work, but unless you have a torrent of water pouring in and out, the entire idea of wetsuits (one piece or multi-piece) is to actually allow water to leak in. That is the first step of how they keep you warm.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... it IS a WETsuit. Not a drysuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Top/bottom (seperate) wetsuits and water leaking in [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, I do mean frequent cold water exchange happens in my torso, often enough to be uncomfortable in under ~60f water. My experience with one piece suits is once I'm moving, the water inside the suit stays warm throughout my swim. I do have a very slender waist for my height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your fit may be off. While a slight bit of water may come in even after the initial filling, I find the T1 keeps my core plenty warm down to 53 or so. Almost too warm closer to 70. I'm tall but like DFW said, the bibjohn comes up plenty high to provide a lot of overlap.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Top/bottom (seperate) wetsuits and water leaking in [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks but AFAIK the bibjohn is a onepiece (sealed waist). I'm contemplating switching from shorts+full top to a spring suit type 1 piece.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niteflight wrote:
Thanks but AFAIK the bibjohn is a onepiece (sealed waist). I'm contemplating switching from shorts+full top to a spring suit type 1 piece.
The bib John is not a sealed waist. If you were to swim in just that with no top you'd essentially be tying a parachute to your waist. The straps are there to keep it in position like suspenders, not seal it.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niteflight wrote:

I’ve used De Soto 2 piece for many years

Never a problem as you describe

Maybe I was just lucky?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your bottoms bibjohns, or pants/tights (i.e. stop at the waist)? If the latter, then leakage isn't too surprising; if the former then the significant overlap combined with a well/tight fitting top should seal reasonably well.

FWIW, I've used the De Soto T2 two-piece and also several one-piece suits (QR, B70, 2XU).

VS

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the sounds of it my tops are to large, (I'm 6'2" ~190lbs ectomorph with a fairly slender ~34.5" waste. I've tried large and medium tops but from the feedback above I'm guessing I need a MT or just tighten the waste a bit more. Currently I've been using a M Oneil Hyperflex top when it's not to cold which is where I notice the water in the waste....perhaps it's just a bit stretched compared to some of the better Triath suits members are referencing. I guess the best bet is to get off my bum and head over to a shop were I can try on several suits.

One question with the two pieces: is it helpful at all to tuck the top under the bottom waste (my bottoms are lava pants knockoffs and very well sealed).
Thanks for all the input here.
Last edited by: niteflight: Jan 21, 21 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best 2 piece solution for swimming (and the fastest) is by DeSoto.
Pretty sure he put a lot of thought into that design (no, I am not affiliated with the company).

Due to the swimming motion, every 2 piece that is not connected will ride up somewhat.

For surfing you could just go with a diving suit that has a crotch strap for the top.
Haven't seen a swim wetsuit with that design out there (you may find one from China) and the resulting wedgie may be uncomfortable for males.

Having a tall slender build sure will aggravate things. And BTW: Most good things aren't cheap.

Last edited by: windschatten: Jan 21, 21 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'1" 150 pound skinny ass, and use a two piece by Synergy, and LOVE it. Medium size. I used it at IMAZ at 62º water, and was plenty warm. The top rides up just enough to keep the shoulders loose and comfy. The biggest difference for me between one piece and two... (besides the obvious ease of donning and removing, and bathroom ease) ... is no chaffing or blistering on the back of my neck.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Top/bottom (seperate) wetsuits and water leaking in [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just want to thank everyone for participation in this thread, after brooding over it for a month I discovered the perfect solution for myself, maybe you might like it.
Any cheap pair of wetsuit shorts (I have Lavapants) to and from home = no hassle, can even shop in them on the way home and get whistles from checkers. Can wear shorts over for incognito, dry car seat.
Any decent springsuit that I put on top of them when I get to the water. Personally I like longsleeve.
This gets no leaks, is easy to put on and remove right on the sand if I want to sunbath before or after swimming.
It's also modular so can function like a full suit on cold mornings or winter (with longer pants) and a regular springsuit on warmer days.
On hot summer days I just rock my smooth chest.

Sort of best of all worlds.
Last edited by: niteflight: Feb 13, 21 13:07
Quote Reply