Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer Users - What PC and OS Are You Using?
Quote | Reply
I'd like to get a Computrainer up and running consistently with as little expense as possible.

We have 2 CTs and each works with my son's Windows 10 Dell XPS 13. Neither CT works consistently with an iMac whether its running MacOS or Windows 10 (Bootcamp on a SSD). I have tried adding and deleting drivers from the iMacs.

I am seeking the lowest cost PC that will allow me to run my CT and something like PerfPRO or Trainerroad. Being able to watch video on a second screen would be a plus.

Thanks.

David K
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Users - What PC and OS Are You Using? [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Motherboard Asus Z170-A Intel Core i7-6700
Video Asus 4 Gig Nvidia GTX 960
Win 7 64 bit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest you ask someone like Drew at PerfPro. He has a ton of experience with Computrainer. I bought the CT Bridge software and it is super. Also his PerfPro is a super program and will do anything you want with a Computrainer with just plug and play. Not certain what software you plan to run but the Computrainer is not the issue for computer power it is the control program. If you are using the old CT software then you need the lowest end computer you can find it was not developed to be graphics or processor intensive. The control software is your issue for the computer not the CT.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Users - What PC and OS Are You Using? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I agree. I've sent 2 or 3 emails and a facebook msg to PerfPRO over the last two weeks with no response.

It's weird that my son has no problems using Zwift with the CT on his laptop but I am unable to get Golden Cheetah, PerfPRO, Racermate, Trainerroad or Zwift to work on the iMac.

I could look around for an older Window PC.

I appreciate the help.

David K
Last edited by: DavidK: Jan 19, 21 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that it has to do with the serial protocol and USB with the Mac vs the PC since the CT was designed around the PC. So it may be a communication issue with the Mac vs the PC to CT? Drew is usually pretty good at getting back to people.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Users - What PC and OS Are You Using? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am certain you are right - It has to be related to the fact that I am using a Mac. Just checked with my son and he has had no trouble using Trainerroad, Golden Cheetah or Zwift and has not had to mess with with loading drivers or configuring ports. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi David,

I'm not going to be super helpful with my reply, but I can run my CT and Zwift on my 2011 MacBook Pro, but not my 2019 MacBook Pro. I remember setting it all up years ago and installing and reinstalling firmware on the 2011 MBP, but for the life of me can't get it to work on the faster Mac. The Zwift graphics get really sketchy toward the end of a long-ish interval on the older Mac, then reset when the next interval starts, and I had hoped to see that disappear with the newer laptop, but I can't get my avatar to move at all. I did want to post, though, that it IS possible. . .apparently.

Good luck,

Meg
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Users - What PC and OS Are You Using? [MeggieB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meg, fingers crossed that your's keeps working.
Last winter I could get my CT to work with Trainerroad on a 2007 iMac on a consistent basis. I was unable to get it to work with my 2011 or 2012 iMac.
This winter nothing works for more than few minutes. I thought I'd made headway after adding Windows 10 to a SSD attached to the 2012 iMac - It really seemed to work but by the time I changed into bibshorts something happened and I was back to square one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat when I got everything set up with the new laptop, got on the bike and pedaled and my avatar just sat there staring off in the distance. I know at some point I will have to buy a new trainer, but I am getting along fine for now.

Take care!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just run it at constant watts with the controller. When I want to go harder I up the watts for an interval

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply