Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but...
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know this is in the 'cool story bro' category but anyway....

Was hella depressing to go swim a z2 workout earlier this wk that I normally average for 3000+ at 1:35-40/100yds across a full workout, but do it a new high school pool that I've never been to before, and come in at 2:01/100yds for the average for the same effort. I knew the '25m' length should be harder, but WTF!?! Normally 25yd to m should be around a 6-8sec/100 drop in pace, not 20sec!

It kinda lit a fire under my swim attitude, thinking 'wow - that was unexpected, I gotta pay a lot more attention to swimming!" etc. Booked another slot later next week for the rematch, at the same pool, hoping for better.

Then I did my internet research, and found an article that described the successful completion of this pool - it was a 50m pool that had a moveable divider that could split the pool to accomodate 25yds on one side an longer on the other. I knew the short side was 25yds (not the side I was in) as the lifeguard told me that, and I assumed the long side was 25m.

Turns out 50m - 25 yards = 29.6 yards for the long side. (Or 27m). So an extra 20 yards for each 100 in that long pool compared to a 100yd pool. Which essentially accounts for the speed differential in pools. Whew. Although honestly I could have used that extra motivation to swim.

Gotta watch out for those errant weird pool lengths!

And I know, cool story bro!
Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Was hella depressing to go swim a z2 workout earlier this wk that I normally average for 3000+ at 1:35-40/100yds across a full workout, but do it a new high school pool that I've never been to before, and come in at 2:01/100yds for the average for the same effort. I knew the '25m' length should be harder, but WTF!?! Normally 25yd to m should be around a 6-8sec/100 drop in pace, not 20sec!

It kinda lit a fire under my swim attitude, thinking 'wow - that was unexpected, I gotta pay a lot more attention to swimming!" etc. Booked another slot later next week for the rematch, at the same pool, hoping for better.

Then I did my internet research, and found an article that described the successful completion of this pool - it was a 50m pool that had a moveable divider that could split the pool to accomodate 25yds on one side an longer on the other. I knew the short side was 25yds (not the side I was in) as the lifeguard told me that, and I assumed the long side was 25m.

Turns out 50m - 25 yards = 29.6 yards for the long side. (Or 27m). So an extra 20 yards for each 100 in that long pool compared to a 100yd pool. Which essentially accounts for the speed differential in pools. Whew. Although honestly I could have used that extra motivation to swim.

Somewhat minor detail but you are not taking into account the width of the bulkhead separating the two pools. Actually many 50 meter pools have adjustable bulkheads so that you can make two exact 25 yard pools, but apparently your pool is not set up that way. You might want to measure the width of the bulkhead if you swim at this pool again. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. this bulkhead is pretty narrow. Lifeguard today told me 30yds.long side.

I can swim there a whole hour!!
Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Good point. this bulkhead is pretty narrow. Lifeguard today told me 30yds.long side.

I can swim there a whole hour!!

An hour is decent. Do your other pools restrict you to 30 or 45 min???

Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
45 mins typically
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bulkheads for the 50 meter pools in Nashville are usually setup for 25 yards on either side unless they move them for short course meters competition.
Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
The bulkheads for the 50 meter pools in Nashville are usually setup for 25 yards on either side unless they move them for short course meters competition.

Ya, that's what I thought. I've swum at the Tracy Caulkins Natatorium around 30-40 times but usually it was just set up to swim the 25-yd width.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
45 mins typically

Well, that is a bummer, 45 min just barely enough to really get into the groove. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, although I don't mind - I do my Z2 type volume that's not hard aerobically on my Vasa and save the Z3-Z5 hard stuff that pushes the pace for the pool.

Today was the first time I swam a full 60 minutes nonstop in a pool since March (have been doing the 45 minute sessions 1x/wk + several erg though) and for sure my arms were solid even at the 60 minute point. That was def all the erg, as I do 60-90 minute erg workouts regularly. This current setup is better than the chaotic YMCA Pool swims I was doing in prior years which I did like 5x/wk but rarely got the lane all to myself, and was usually in an insanely hot pool (88F often)

This better pool is also a more annoying drive for me - it's 30 minutes from the time I get in my car to the time I hit the water, so a 1 hr workout becomes 2:10-2:15 in time consumed. It's good that I highly value the fun of being in water, outdoors, and in a beautiful noncongested pool with other swimmers, as I do sometimes wonder if I'd be better off just using my erg for those 2 hrs and spending even less time in the water! The pool is fun though, since every last bit of my training is solo, so it's the only time I have company!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The width of the bulkhead is almost certainly accounted for in the 50m length. Unless the moveable bulkhead is a removable bulkhead it would simply be pushed up against one of the two end walls and leave 50m remaining. In many 50m pools in the US which feature moveable bulkheads, there are 2 bulkheads which can be configured to have 1 at either end with 50m between them, both at the same end with 50m of pool until the opposite permanent wall, or in the middle with a sum of 50m of pool still remaining in any combination! In other words, the original math is correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This forum is awesome for learning stuff, thanks for that info!
Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
The width of the bulkhead is almost certainly accounted for in the 50m length. Unless the moveable bulkhead is a removable bulkhead it would simply be pushed up against one of the two end walls and leave 50m remaining. In many 50m pools in the US which feature moveable bulkheads, there are 2 bulkheads which can be configured to have 1 at either end with 50m between them, both at the same end with 50m of pool until the opposite permanent wall, or in the middle with a sum of 50m of pool still remaining in any combination! In other words, the original math is correct.

OK, you seem to know more about this than I do, so I will defer to your knowledge. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha.

Age group swimming for many of us non-elites happened in a mishmash of yard-or-meter pools for meets. 50-or-25 variety varied, too. One team in our region was housed at a country club with a 40 yd pool.

Like running XC, every course was different.

A more serious tip: try stroke count as a measure of length? Good to be mindful of stroke count, in any case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I once asked myself why I was always faster in one pool than the other (50m pools here in Germany). Posted it in triathlon forums and discussed about esoteric things like "fast water" and "transverse currents".
Until I came to the idea to take a tape measure and measure the length (costed me some time because I had to put down markings since my tape measure had only 2 or 3 metres: folks looking and thinking "whats that strange denizen doing")
Anyway, guess what: the pool turned out to have only 48m and 90 cm.
I talked to the lifeguard and he said the pool once had 50m and was tiled, and after a renovation in which they put a stainless steel lining in it it had a reduced length.
No one knew that, and everyone who logs times in that pool are 2% slower than they think they are :-)
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jan 18, 21 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam at an apartment pool yesterday and I walked it and got 32 yards. They advertise it as “jr Olympic” whatever that means. I just used 3 laps =100 yards and left it at that and didn’t use a watch for any of my sets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Turns out 50m - 25 yards = 29.6 yards for the long side. (Or 27m). So an extra 20 yards for each 100 in that long pool compared to a 100yd pool. Which essentially accounts for the speed differential in pools. Whew. Although honestly I could have used that extra motivation to swiim

Question..did you not immediately know something was off, given how many strokes you were taking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:

Exactly. Unless the bulkhead is dropped from the ceiling (UTexas comes to mind).

ANy other examples?
Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Turns out 50m - 25 yards = 29.6 yards for the long side. (Or 27m). So an extra 20 yards for each 100 in that long pool compared to a 100yd pool. Which essentially accounts for the speed differential in pools. Whew. Although honestly I could have used that extra motivation to swiim

Question..did you not immediately know something was off, given how many strokes you were taking?

I actually do count stroke lengths, but I honestly haven't swum in a 25m pool for over 8 years now, so I have completely forgetten how many strokes it takes!

I did have some suspicion it was long based on how many extra strokes compared to 25yds it was taking, but I had just done a 90 minute run with z3 x 20' in the middle of it immediately before the swim and a hard 2hr bike the day prior, so I was definitely feeling draggy and thus wasn't sure if I was just sucking on the swim due to accumulated fatigue (I was def tired before even hitting the pool deck!)
Quote Reply
Re: Thought I suddenly lost 20sec/100 on going from a 25y to 25m pool, but... [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
I swam at an apartment pool yesterday and I walked it and got 32 yards. They advertise it as “jr Olympic” whatever that means. I just used 3 laps =100 yards and left it at that and didn’t use a watch for any of my sets

I'll bet dollars to donuts that was a 100 foot pool. I used to sneak in under my brother in Law's name at the Los Gatos tennis club (near San Jose). That pool is/was 100 feet. 3 lengths = 100 yards.

I can beat the OP's story, sadly...

In April '19 I got a real job and switched pools for quick lunch swims. My times sucked. After a few days of frustration I got my 100' tape measure out; completely convinced that pool was 25 meters (even though they told me it was 25scy). I cried when the damn thing was exactly 75'!!! I had gotten lazy/slow in the previous months.

RE: Bulkheads. I have another property in Bozeman MT, My favorite indoor pool is there, it is (was) 50LCM. Much to my chagrin they put in a monster bulkhead. Wide enough to put your gear on for both sides. They told me it's 25SCY on both sides, and, I believe it. Dang, that bulkhead is so big I'll bet they never move it for LCM (as all pools SHOULD be). (insert cry emoji here)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I actually do count stroke lengths, but I honestly haven't swum in a 25m pool for over 8 years now, so I have completely forgetten how many strokes it takes!

I did have some suspicion it was long based on how many extra strokes compared to 25yds it was taking, but I had just done a 90 minute run with z3 x 20' in the middle of it immediately before the swim and a hard 2hr bike the day prior, so I was definitely feeling draggy and thus wasn't sure if I was just sucking on the swim due to accumulated fatigue (I was def tired before even hitting the pool deck!)

Yep fair enough...
I had to do a bit of hotel pool swimming a couple of years back due to work travel, so was always trying to use my stroke count to figure out how far I was swimming.
I've never swum in a 25y pool, would be interested to see how it feels.
Quote Reply