Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Educate me on ‘metabolic age’
Quote | Reply
Firstly, apologies for the non tri thread but the gatekeeper in the LR is hard on anything fitness related.

Discussion at work turned to body fat % late last week and quickly became a 6 week challenge amongst about 10 of us; mixed gender and 30 yr age range. One brought in some scales that measure all sorts of metrics. One of which was metabolic age.

At 46 I’m one of the older ones but also the only one who trains hard regularly (bike only ATM). Although the BF measure seemed higher than anticipated I still had a healthy lead. I was however curious to see the metabolic age metric. Alas it only reported a 4 year discount on actual. What was more confusing was many others reported 2-3 year discounts.

Initially thinking MA was an all over health indicator I later assumed it was about muscle mass - having done bugger all gym work for a long time and freely acknowledge that whilst athletic looking I’m prob weak Vs the younger males. However one of my female colleagues (at 37) nailed an 11 year discount. She’s neither a weights buff nor cardio queen; rather Pilates.

So what influences such a metric?
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on ‘metabolic age’ [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about the answer to you question, but we have one of those scales and maybe a funny story. I won mine at a trivia thing at the Hawaii Ironman. I got back to the room, striped off my clothes, and jumped on the scale. I was 56 at the time and it registered my metabolic age at 32. I danced naked and and told my wife "woo hoo you have a 32 year old." She, we are the same age, then whipped her clothes off and jumped on . . . she was 19! The rest of the story is private :-)!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this, but honestly I think most of the metrics from typical body composition scales are pretty arbitrary. I certainly wouldn't trust them to be accurate. Not sure about precision, possibly better. So at best I think they could be useful for seeing what direction you're going over time, but probably not terribly useful for comparing different people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar scale (a Renpho). Not sure how much accuracy there is to any of the data. While it's been a while since I've used it other than a quick check of weight every so often (no racing makes me not really care about additional data), at 30 I have a 5 year "discount". My metabolic age is supposedly 25. I'll take my Garmin fitness age of under 20 though instead thank you very much haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the metabolic age metric.

But I have spent the "lockdown" exploring my body composition as a 47 y.o..

I have my bodyfat down to college levels (single digit), but the muscle mass certainly isn't getting to college levels. (just going by pictures from college). Even with extensive heavy lifting.

That's zero surprise. Just pointing out the hard limits of age (as a clean athlete). But also encouraging as getting bodyfat way down wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sent me down the google rabbit hole. Looks like metabolic age is the age at which your estimated BMR (base metabolic rate) matches an average for the general population. It could be as simple as taking a commonly accepted estimate for BMR (a function of your actual age, weight, height and gender) and then comparing it to a chart of average BMR of the population. If that's the case, it will likely just scale with you weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Metabolic age is just how much calories you burn at rest vs the average population at certain ages. This can be impacted by a lot of things obviously that are not necessarily fitness related.

To the body fat % - this is an old metric as well still used way too much. FMI is what should be used and that is a pretty good indicator / metric when doing a DEXA scan. Problem with body fat % is that you can have a high % due to having very lean muscles. Think 5kg body fat in a triathlete vs a body builder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On home scales, body fat estimates are near-useless. Literally near-useless.

I'll bet though that the metabolic age estimator draws on either measured BF% or a combo of BF% relative to weight, etc. The idea is that as people get older, they tend to have larger subcutaneous and other fat deposits. Just compare photos of most people, even very active ones, from age 21 to age 45. I work out harder now (and have never stopped) since when I was a teenager, yet I absolutely have significantly more subcutaneous fat than when I was 21m and weight 20 lbs more despite running faster than I did back then.

But yeah ,I wouldn't trust any BF% given by a home scale. BF% is already hard to know you're accurately quantifying - you can even youtube videos of various bodybuilders and other folks who video themselves getting true, actualy DEXA, water displacements, etc, at professional facilities, and see how wide the variation even there can be when compared.
Quote Reply