Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Full distance debut
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am looking to make my full distance debut in November / December 2021.
I’ve narrowed my choice down to Florida, Arizona or Western Australia.
From my research all seem good choices for a debut. My main concern is to avoid hot conditions!
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
fastboy64
Quote Reply
Re: Full distance debut [fastboy64] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't do it. Ironman is stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Florida is closed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AUS may still be requiring a 2 week quarantine upon arrival. IIRC what my sister who lives in SYD said it's a flat rate of $3,000 AUD and you can't leave your hotel room.

2022 may be a better year to start doing IM

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 13, 21 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are worried about hotter temps, you realize that is Summer time in Aus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastboy64 wrote:
Hi,
I am looking to make my full distance debut in November / December 2021.
I’ve narrowed my choice down to Florida, Arizona or Western Australia.
From my research all seem good choices for a debut. My main concern is to avoid hot conditions!
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
fastboy64

IMFL and IMAZ are both sold out so scratch those off your list.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 70.3 Western Aus in December 2019 and it was held in conjunction with the Ironman. When I was done with my race it was around 80, but the temps rose to the mid-80s when most of the IM racers were out on the run.

It is dry heat but the sun is intense out there. I'd go with AZ or FL if I was looking for more temperate weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Full distance debut [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could still do either if I go with Nirvana ...
Quote Reply
Re: Full distance debut [newberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep - such a pity as everything else about the event looks awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Full distance debut [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would rule it out- I am hoping vaccination will have allowed us all to race freely by then...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are located outside Australia, don't do Ironman WA. Chances you may not even get in. Quarantine is only for Australians returning home and limited others. Florida might have a slightly higher chance of high temperatures, but if covid lingers, Arizona may get cancelled like this year. So Florida could be your best bet.
Quote Reply
Re: Full distance debut [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
If you are located outside Australia, don't do Ironman WA. Chances you may not even get in. Quarantine is only for Australians returning home and limited others. Florida might have a slightly higher chance of high temperatures, but if covid lingers, Arizona may get cancelled like this year. So Florida could be your best bet.

Thanks - I am UK based so even if I could gain entry to race, going from UK winter to AUS summer would probable be a struggle. Florida does look good ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Covid aside, why limit it to those choices? If you're willing to fly to WA, why not look at Gurye, Korea? Great course, nice temperature.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastboy64 wrote:
42point2 wrote:

Thanks - I am UK based so even if I could gain entry to race, going from UK winter to AUS summer would probable be a struggle. Florida does look good ...
I live near Busselton and it is generally a very hot race often 30+ degrees. As mentioned I doubt you would get into Australia without quarantining if you’re lucky even by then.
Quote Reply
Re: Full distance debut [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irrespective of Covid, Busselton/Western Australia is pretty much always HOT. If you don't like the heat then don't come to Western Australia in summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Full distance debut [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People from the east coast of Australia can't get into WA. I can guarantee WA will not allow anyone from overseas in just to do a race, until the world proves that there are no active COVID cases....probably for three years unbroken. Good luck.
Quote Reply