Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Budget Tri bike
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I've been running and swimming for a number of years now, anything from 5km to half marathons. I've always cycled just never competitively!
I currently ride a gravel bike as my winter/commuting bike. Its hugely heavy so I've been looking for a new bike. I am planning on doing a half ironman in late summer if I'm not working offshore. Therefore I've been thinking of getting a tri bike on a budget. What are people's thoughts on the Planet X Tri bikes? Theyre within budget and can be upgraded? I'd use it on the turbo until the weather clears up more and keep training outdoors on my gravel bike through winter?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Happy lockdown 3.0

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [chrisT858] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Planet X bike?

I've owned and seen various bikes from them and have been happy with frame quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figure out your fit coordinates, and then see how they translate to different brands. Look at Slowtwitch classifieds and whatever other secondary markets are reliable, and find options among used bikes. There is a lot of value there.

Tough time to buy new bikes given lack of component parts, which means there will be few deals on new stock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a budget, I'd highly recommend looking used right now (and probably always). Plenty of great options under $2k, often with di2 or race wheels. In the US, facebook marketplace is the best classifieds section, followed by the ST classifieds, and then craigslist depending on your location. Hell, someone is selling a 54cm P-series 105 for $2100 right now. That'll be gone in an hour but it's not just 10 year old bikes that can be found cheap.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brand new and the same chinese carbon used in Cervelo, Specialized, Trek.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33047464111.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.66625701sc2nBF&algo_pvid=ce8fd614-69fc-45d0-8e64-9e91270412b2&algo_expid=ce8fd614-69fc-45d0-8e64-9e91270412b2-5&btsid=0b0a556416105559265252903e73c3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the quick responses.

I've been trawling through classified adds, mainly marketplace here in the UK.
The Planet X Stealth Carbon Pro Looks to be the one. I'll measure up and see if they suitably translate to my size then hopefully I'll be smashing the times from my gravel bike (without a doubt).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, what's your budget if you don't mind me asking? UK based here as well and there are plenty of options (just gauging which ones to suggest!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your budget? Are you UK based? I saw an incredible deal yesterday for an almost brand new Canyon Speedmax CF SLX on eBay for around £4000. They're selling then for around £7k now in their outlet. (Thats if you're a small)
I wonder if you could get the seller down even further- as the bike has been on there for a while.
If I was in the market for a tri bike I'd nab that.
Last edited by: shammad10: Jan 13, 21 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
On a budget, I'd highly recommend looking used right now (and probably always). Plenty of great options under $2k, often with di2 or race wheels. In the US, facebook marketplace is the best classifieds section, followed by the ST classifieds, and then craigslist depending on your location. Hell, someone is selling a 54cm P-series 105 for $2100 right now. That'll be gone in an hour but it's not just 10 year old bikes that can be found cheap.
Saw this pop up and it's 1100 cheaper than the shop I got fit in today. Really wanted it but they don't want to ship:(
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Saw this pop up and it's 1100 cheaper than the shop I got fit in today. Really wanted it but they don't want to ship:(
Oof. If I was in Phoenix I'd grab it and ship it to you. Some people don't realize they could literally drop it off at a bike shop with an address and not think about it again.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
duganator99 wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Oof. If I was in Phoenix I'd grab it and ship it to you. Some people don't realize they could literally drop it off at a bike shop with an address and not think about it again.
Yeah it's a real bummer, I'd love to save $1000 dollars on the bike considering I'm going to need to spend $500 on freaking baby 155 cranks :(
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oof. You can get square taper 155s for about $50...
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Brand new and the same chinese carbon used in Cervelo, Specialized, Trek.

Ah yes. Material alone is what makes a good bike.... haha
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you checked out Sigma Sports ?

They have a sale on

This Cervelo P Series for £2200 looks a great deal

https://www.sigmasports.com/...thlon-Bike-2020/O43R

There are plenty of bikes on ebay as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another good resource for used is the pinkbike buy/sell page, complete with listings by discipline, part, region, etc. Very much a mtb centric site, but plenty of road bikes and parts on there as well. I found 9 tt bikes listed in europe right now (in the road bike category).

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/
Last edited by: tkeds: Jan 13, 21 17:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what size are you seeking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisT858 wrote:
Hi all,

I've been running and swimming for a number of years now, anything from 5km to half marathons. I've always cycled just never competitively!
I currently ride a gravel bike as my winter/commuting bike. Its hugely heavy so I've been looking for a new bike. I am planning on doing a half ironman in late summer if I'm not working offshore. Therefore I've been thinking of getting a tri bike on a budget. What are people's thoughts on the Planet X Tri bikes? Theyre within budget and can be upgraded? I'd use it on the turbo until the weather clears up more and keep training outdoors on my gravel bike through winter?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Happy lockdown 3.0

Chris

Not really aware of US pricing but I went for a new Canyon speedmax 7.0 (the 105 version) which they had for €1750 at that time 2019 (brand new, might have been end of season sale; but they had some discount going all the time); think that was a great.found some 2nd hand deep front and disc rear to complement this bike and have not regretted this for 1 sec!
This bike is plenty fast for anyone! And if it's really not fast enough anymore, then you should be able to land a bike-sponsorship...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The PX stealth is a very old design and hard to price on the used market. By far the most popular build option was only £1000 new from PX and that was reflected in the quality of the build kit. Honestly the bikes were a great value but not built to last which means you can get stung on the used market. The bikes that replaced the stealth were in my opinion superior designs and were only a bit more expensive new so are better options used.

I would also have a look at Sigma Sport. They currently have really good deals on a few entry level TT bikes. They will also help you get the bike setup and you aren’t buying a 15-20 year old frame design.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've managed to find a suitably sized Cannondale Slice in amazing condition and a reasonable price which I will most likely settle for.

I did come across a Fort Veto Time trial bike which I've never seen before. An older generation 105 groupset. Does anyone know much about these bikes out of interest?
Cheers all!
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Tri bike [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
The PX stealth is a very old design and hard to price on the used market. By far the most popular build option was only £1000 new from PX and that was reflected in the quality of the build kit. Honestly the bikes were a great value but not built to last which means you can get stung on the used market. The bikes that replaced the stealth were in my opinion superior designs and were only a bit more expensive new so are better options used.

I would also have a look at Sigma Sport. They currently have really good deals on a few entry level TT bikes. They will also help you get the bike setup and you aren’t buying a 15-20 year old frame design.

I'm still sat atop a Planet X Stealth.
Defo agree it's al old design (an open mold) - inc external cables, etc . Though I can never really get reliable info on how much time it's costing me vs a new 'modern' bike.
I'm looking at new bikes as in part the older geometry makes me question whether I'm restricted on the position I can get (76 degree seat tube and no 'slider' for the seat mount. I'm on the max forward position of a long Adamo saddle to get as far forward as I can. The saddle nose is about 45mm behind the BB). I know it was a possibly compromised design st the time - but all I could really afford at the time (mountain biking burns a big hole in my pocket!!).

They do seem however to hold up OK in terms of life - plenty of folks in the UK still using them, even from the earliest manufacturing times (10+ years ago I think).

It's got me around a few IMs and other races. And its me on top that is the limiter I'm sure !

Common selling price on Fleabay seems to be £500-£700 sort of mark in Britain. Plenty of them about !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisT858 wrote:
The Planet X Stealth Carbon Pro Looks to be the one.

I bought this frame a couple years ago and absolutely love it. Used it as a tri bike for a few years and just converted it to a road bike (bought another tri bike). The biggest drawback to that frame is the width of wheels/ tires you can run on it. I run 25mm tires but that is with 17C wheels.
Quote Reply